Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

178101213192

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    daheff wrote: »
    one thing i dont like on the niro is the colours. I guess the grey/silver is the best of them... black seems to be dull and has no sparkle to it. Was parked beside a blue one the other day & that wasn't very appealing to me.

    I do like the interior. Just hope I also like the price
    The one I saw was a burnt red colour. Was charging beside it in meath. They are a nice car IMO.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    Red or the black for me....

    I am a simple man with simple needs :-)

    Also after a weekend of spinning around in the Galaxy the Misses is now in "I hate this bloody thing" mood :-) New car could be on its way....of course if I can get one


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    unkel wrote: »
    I think we all know what your next car will be DrPhilG :)

    I dunno, but I'm getting less and less keen on the Kona. Looks really small in reviews. Although deliveries are starting this week and next so hopefully there will be more and one of the dealers up north should have one to see in the flesh (one of their staff is buying one).

    I just fear that the Niro will be too expensive.

    The elusive 60kwh Leaf might actually turn out to be a good car when it arrives but that's a long way off, plus it will definitely be post Brexit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Red or the black for me....

    If the Niro EV is available in 'Gravity Blue' take a serious look at it. It is so dark, at times it looks black.

    That's what we went for on the Niro PHEV.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff


    Lossy wrote: »
    If the Niro EV is available in 'Gravity Blue' take a serious look at it. It is so dark, at times it looks black.

    That's what we went for on the Niro PHEV.

    how do you find the PHEV mileage wise? And in general?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy


    daheff wrote: »
    how do you find the PHEV mileage wise? And in general?

    We have it less than two months and we love it. Very happy we picked the phev over the hev (€1500 more than the hev after deductions). Havnt paid too much attention to its mileage in hev mode as we drive as much as we can in all electric (> 50km range). Spec. is super, cream/white leather seats and all the tech I could hope for. As someone mentioned before the proportions of the car are a little odd for a crossover but that's what I love about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Lossy wrote: »
    Havnt paid too much attention to its mileage in hev mode as we drive as much as we can in all electric (> 50km range).

    Thats really good. Is that city type slow driving?
    I was thinking it would be more like 30km than 50km.


  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy


    KCross wrote: »
    Thats really good. Is that city type slow driving?
    I was thinking it would be more like 30km than 50km.

    I am quite light footed so I will squeeze some good economy out of a charge but...

    I tested a full charge driving to my wifes workplace from our home which is 45km away. At least 90% of that was motorway but I wasnt booting it. It wasnt quite leaf speed either. Anyway after getting there, there was still about 2 or 3 km left on the clock and even at 0km it took another few km for the ICE to kick in.

    If I wasnt on a motorway im sure I could have squeezed a few more km out of it.

    That said, im sure if you were heavy footed your mileage could seem more like 30km.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    Well Bjorn is in Korea and the reviews should start over the next few days.

    He posted some pictures already, confirming what we expected in that the car is much bigger inside than the Kona.  Also the driver's seat has memory!  That's a big plus for me as a man married to a short arse.

    It's not the top spec he has but close although hopefully he'll be able to confirm what is missing from the version he'll be driving.

    Am I officially a nerd now as I'm really excited about these reviews?  Or are we all nerds simply by being here?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well Bjorn is in Korea and the reviews should start over the next few days.

    He posted some pictures already, confirming what we expected in that the car is much bigger inside than the Kona. Also the driver's seat has memory! That's a big plus for me as a man married to a short arse.

    It's not the top spec he has but close although hopefully he'll be able to confirm what is missing from the version he'll be driving.

    Am I officially a nerd now as I'm really excited about these reviews? Or are we all nerds simply by being here?


    We are all nerds :D


    Is Bjorn on twitter or how do you follow? I f**king hate twitter


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭icom


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We are all nerds :D


    Is Bjorn on twitter or how do you follow? I f**king hate twitter

    He's on Facebook and You Tube, he uses the name TeslaBjorn

    He has posted quite a bit of info on Facebook this morning, he picked up the Niro earlier today.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We are all nerds :D


    Is Bjorn on twitter or how do you follow? I f**king hate twitter

    I only use twitter for complaining to big companies, lol.

    He has a Facebook page that I follow, and I subscribe to his YouTube channel. He's posting lots so far on Facebook, YouTube videos will start later today.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    DrPhilG wrote: »
    I only use twitter for complaining to big companies, lol.

    He has a Facebook page that I follow, and I subscribe to his YouTube channel. He's posting lots so far on Facebook, YouTube videos will start later today.




    Feck based on the few pics I have seen the Niro looks good......


    Bye Bye Galaxy :p


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Feck based on the few pics I have seen the Niro looks good......


    Bye Bye Galaxy :p

    Just to soften you cough Shef... it will be the best part of €40k based on what they charged for the Kona.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    KCross wrote: »
    Just to soften you cough Shef... it will be the best part of €40k based on what they charged for the Kona.


    Whats money between friends :D


    I put 90 quid of diesel into that fecking thing last night and I would bet I will be putting another 90 in this time next week :mad::mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    KCross wrote: »
    Just to soften you cough Shef... it will be the best part of €40k based on what they charged for the Kona.

    But will that be €40k for the top spec...


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whats money between friends :D


    I put 90 quid of diesel into that fecking thing last night and I would bet I will be putting another 90 in this time next week :mad::mad:

    If you would consider a Niro over a galaxy Im assuming you dont actually need a 7 seater but just like the extra room?

    You could have any number of SUV's (Sportage, Tuscon etc) that will fill that gap. They will all be smaller than a Galaxy but shouldnt cost €90/wk to run in fuel.

    Shock, horror, maybe even consider a Niro PHEV which, by all accounts, can do 50km in EV mode and is very well spec'd and getting very good reviews. Would 50km daily cover 90%+ of your Galaxy driving?

    A 1yr old Niro PHEV can be had in the UK for about €25k inc VRT.

    DrPhilG wrote: »
    But will that be €40k for the top spec...

    That would be the assumption yes... same as Kona.. only one high spec version provided.... maybe they will surprise us and offer options, but I doubt it.

    I would be very interested in the Niro EV but not at €35k+. I'd happily forego some toys and leather etc to make it more affordable. I cant justify €35k-€40k. That extra €5k would be better spent on Solar PV! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭jarrieta


    KCross wrote: »
    If you would consider a Niro over a galaxy Im assuming you dont actually need a 7 seater but just like the extra room?

    You could have any number of SUV's (Sportage, Tuscon etc) that will fill that gap. They will all be smaller than a Galaxy but shouldnt cost €90/wk to run in fuel.

    Shock, horror, maybe even consider a Niro PHEV which, by all accounts, can do 50km in EV mode and is very well spec'd and getting very good reviews. Would 50km daily cover 90%+ of your Galaxy driving?

    A 1yr old Niro PHEV can be had in the UK for about €25k inc VRT.




    That would be the assumption yes... same as Kona.. only one high spec version provided.... maybe they will surprise us and offer options, but I doubt it.

    I would be very interested in the Niro EV but not at €35k+. I'd happily forego some toys and leather etc to make it more affordable. I cant justify €35k-€40k. That extra €5k would be better spent on Solar PV! :)

    Yeah, I really like the Niro and since I won't be able to afford one seeing the price of the Kona, I will try to buy the PHEV next year to replace our old Diesel


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    KCross wrote: »
    If you would consider a Niro over a galaxy Im assuming you dont actually need a 7 seater but just like the extra room?

    You could have any number of SUV's (Sportage, Tuscon etc) that will fill that gap. They will all be smaller than a Galaxy but shouldnt cost €90/wk to run in fuel.

    Shock, horror, maybe even consider a Niro PHEV which, by all accounts, can do 50km in EV mode and is very well spec'd and getting very good reviews. Would 50km daily cover 90%+ of your Galaxy driving?

    A 1yr old Niro PHEV can be had in the UK for about €25k inc VRT.

    That would be the assumption yes... same as Kona.. only one high spec version provided.... maybe they will surprise us and offer options, but I doubt it.

    I would be very interested in the Niro EV but not at €35k+. I'd happily forego some toys and leather etc to make it more affordable. I cant justify €35k-€40k. That extra €5k would be better spent on Solar PV! :)


    Love the Niro PHEV, but why buy a PHEV when you can buy a BEV version? Ok you save a few quid but if I plan to keep both electric cars till they fall off the road then why not bite the bullet now and go full electric?


    Then with Solar PV installation I could potentially fuel the cars myself:P


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Love the Niro PHEV, but why buy a PHEV when you can buy a BEV version? Ok you save a few quid but if I plan to keep both electric cars till they fall off the road then why not bite the bullet now and go full electric?


    Then with Solar PV installation I could potentially fuel the cars myself:P

    Sure, thats another valid way to look at it but €40k is a lot of dosh to raise and unless you have it in cash you are looking at a loan and associated interest.... it starts to make less and less sense I think at that level.... maybe if it were your only car and doing 100% of your driving and you were clocking up decent mileage then yeah it might add up over 10yrs.

    On the other side you could have a 1yr old PHEV for €15k less, less interest (maybe none as €25k is easier than €40k) and you can still use Solar to charge it and have no dependence on public charging and no range anxiety ever and still manage to do the majority of your driving in EV only mode. There is a lot to be said for it... I know some will say its only a tax compliance dodge but it doesn't have to be, if it suits your usage profile.


    Ultimately we each have our breaking point in relation to "its too expensive". If we didn't, we'd all be driving Tesla's! :)

    At €40k it doesn't add up for me. Lets see what Kia come out with in pricing next month. If its ~€40k I'm off to the UK for a PHEV(before Brexit!), I think, as there is nothing else on the horizon (VW ID is going to be €35k+, imo, too).


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih


    The PHEV version is quite compromised as there is no electric heating on it so for several months a year you need to use the engine even on the short trips.

    I suspect that the Niro EV won't be 40k for the spec we are going to get here in Ireland. It would be too much for basically a car same size as IONIQ/LEAF but of course with much more range.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG


    KCross wrote: »
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    But will that be €40k for the top spec...

    That would be the assumption yes... same as Kona.. only one high spec version provided.... maybe they will surprise us and offer options, but I doubt it.
    Maybe I'm just a stubborn git, but I'd jump through extra import hoops to get the top spec.  If I'm going to spend big bucks on a new car I'm not going to take a compromised model.  That was my logic for the 40kWh Leaf too.  Despite rapidgate it would meet the majority of my needs, but I'm not paying big money for a car with a big fat flaw even if it's one that wouldn't affect me much.

    Same goes for the spec.  I don't like being given a mid range model and told that it's my only option (a la Kona).


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    samih wrote: »
    The PHEV version is quite compromised as there is no electric heating on it so for several months a year you need to use the engine even on the short trips.

    Yes, I did see that in one review which is unfortunate but you need to look at the overall view for the year and not just the cold mornings where you need the ICE to come on to generate some heat.

    If I was living in Norway it would be out. In Cork, I think it will do perfectly fine as an ICE replacement!

    samih wrote: »
    I suspect that the Niro EV won't be 40k for the spec we are going to get here in Ireland. It would be too much for basically a car same size as IONIQ/LEAF but of course with much more range.

    Maybe not €40k but it will have to be in or around the same price as the Kona EV unless they really strip back the spec.

    Whats your prediction on price for Niro BEV?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭80sDiesel


    KCross wrote: »
    Kia come out with in pricing next month. If its ~€40k I'm off to the UK for a PHEV(before Brexit!), I think, as there is nothing else on the horizon (VW ID is going to be €35k+, imo, too).

    Dont think Brexit will have much an effect. If they get a deal , you have 2 year window, if they don't, well ,project fear will become project reality and who knows how cheap stuff may be !

    ( looking to import an i3s rex in 2010 )

    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan


    KCross wrote: »
    Sure, thats another valid way to look at it but €40k is a lot of dosh to raise and unless you have it in cash you are looking at a loan and associated interest.... it starts to make less and less sense I think at that level.... maybe if it were your only car and doing 100% of your driving and you were clocking up decent mileage then yeah it might add up over 10yrs.

    On the other side you could have a 1yr old PHEV for €15k less, less interest (maybe none as €25k is easier than €40k) and you can still use Solar to charge it and have no dependence on public charging and no range anxiety ever and still manage to do the majority of your driving in EV only mode. There is a lot to be said for it... I know some will say its only a tax compliance dodge but it doesn't have to be, if it suits your usage profile.


    Ultimately we each have our breaking point in relation to "its too expensive". If we didn't, we'd all be driving Tesla's! :)

    At €40k it doesn't add up for me. Lets see what Kia come out with in pricing next month. If its ~€40k I'm off to the UK for a PHEV(before Brexit!), I think, as there is nothing else on the horizon (VW ID is going to be €35k+, imo, too).


    VW Neo will be 30k.....it will change the World.....


    I done 15k km's in eGolf last year.....

    In the Galaxy I have done 22k kms in 12 months.


    I would have expected to use the electric more but the number of shorts journeys been done in the Galaxy really is adding up. I get 800km on average out of a 90 euro tank which means I spent over 2k on diesel :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:


    PHEV is an option of course....but I like shiny new things and if I can get the Niro at good money over a PCP with the option to buy at end then it will work for me...


    The 400km range will mean the odd trip to UK/France should not be an issue


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    VW Neo will be 30k.....it will change the World.....

    A well known saying about pigs is coming to mind! ;)

    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I done 15k km's in eGolf last year.....

    In the Galaxy I have done 22k kms in 12 months.


    I would have expected to use the electric more but the number of shorts journeys been done in the Galaxy really is adding up. I get 800km on average out of a 90 euro tank which means I spent over 2k on diesel

    The galaxy is a boat and a thirsty one. Short journeys are killing its efficiency.
    A PHEV would be better in that case and of course a BEV would be better again.

    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    PHEV is an option of course....but I like shiny new things and if I can get the Niro at good money over a PCP with the option to buy at end then it will work for me...


    The 400km range will mean the odd trip to UK/France should not be an issue

    Yea, I had the exact same thought process as you until I heard the Kona was €38k OTR! I'm re-evaluating now though. I'll decide when I see Niro BEV prices but I'm not tying myself into large repayments "just to have a BEV" if the PHEV will do practically the same job for significantly less money.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,315 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    KCross wrote: »
    A 1yr old Niro PHEV can be had in the UK for about €25k inc VRT.

    Apples & oranges. Almost all second hand cars are a lot cheaper than the equivalent brand new car over here ;)

    A new Niro PHEV lists at 31k. A new Niro BEV will be what, about 37k?

    Unless you do only very small local mileage, you're likely to save one or two grand a year in fuel + maintenance + tax and the residual value of the BEV will be much, much stronger (remember it has about a 400-450km range). Supply of economy budget cars with a range like this will be limited for years and demand will be strong

    Buying a new Niro PHEV now would be a big mistake imho...


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    unkel wrote: »
    Apples & oranges. Almost all second hand cars are a lot cheaper than the equivalent brand new car over here ;)

    Yes and No. How much will a one year old Niro BEV be, if it can be got at all?

    unkel wrote: »
    A new Niro PHEV lists at 31k. A new Niro BEV will be what, about 37k?

    We'll know in a month or so.

    unkel wrote: »
    Unless you do only very small local mileage, you're likely to save one or two grand a year in fuel + maintenance + tax and the residual value of the BEV will be much, much stronger (remember it has about a 400-450km range). Supply of economy budget cars with a range like this will be limited for years and demand will be strong

    Buying a new Niro PHEV now would be a big mistake imho...

    Sure. I wouldn't buy the Niro PHEV new. I am still evaluating which is hard to complete without an actual cost of the BEV yet released.


    If a s/h PHEV can be had for "right money" I dont think that will depreciate quickly at all for the same reason the BEV's dont. And it will depend on how long its kept for too of course..... lots of variables to consider.

    Also bear in mind this isn't my first foray into EV world.... if I buy a PHEV its to replace the remaining diesel while still maintaining the Leaf 24kWh. The remaining diesel is for the long journeys and has been doing less mileage since we got the L24 so I'm finding it hard in my own mind to justify €40k to replace that diesel but we do need to change and I dont want it to be a diesel.

    If we can do 90% of our driving in EV mode in the PHEV while still maintaining the ability to do long distance (continent driving in particular) then it is a serious consideration.

    I guess everyones situations are different. I dont subscribe to PHEV being a bad idea for everyone, if that is what your opinion is?


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,315 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    KCross wrote: »
    if I buy a PHEV its to replace the remaining diesel while still maintaining the Leaf 24kWh.

    Your new car will replace the Leaf as the main family car. The Leaf will become the second runabout car. A long range BEV seems perfect as your next family car to me :)

    Of course buying a PHEV at the right price can be a good option. But I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money on it. I even (briefly) considered buying a 2 year old BMW330e (for less than half of the new price here) earlier this year

    Also, if we had a reliable charging network, I would probably buy a €30k 39kWh over a €37k 64kWh Niro BEV. The former will hold its value exceptionally well and will prove to have a very low TCO


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih


    KCross wrote: »
    Yes, I did see that in one review which is unfortunate but you need to look at the overall view for the year and not just the cold mornings where you need the ICE to come on to generate some heat.

    If I was living in Norway it would be out. In Cork, I think it will do perfectly fine as an ICE replacement!




    Maybe not €40k but it will have to be in or around the same price as the Kona EV unless they really strip back the spec.

    Whats your prediction on price for Niro BEV?

    35-37 would be sweet if the PHEV version sells for 31k. There is extra 5X kWh of batteries but the cost of the rest of the drivetrain should be much less than on the PHEV. That being said I forgot that the Kona is priced 37k in Ireland. I was personally expecting that car to cost about 33k on the road based on IONIQ pricing.

    As of the heating: I have never lived in Cork so don't know how different the climate there is. In Kildare I reckon heating is needed for maybe 7-9 months a year for defogging in the morning at least and for maybe 6 months a year for comfort. I don't really know as you don't need to pay much attention these days. Auto all the way. Working around the problem is probably doable but having to run the engine for heat is a compromise in a damp and cold country.


Advertisement