Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marijuana Stocks, legalities for Irish Investors?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Worth a watch.

What I'm getting from it is:
      A lot more volatility and trading potential in the US space. There's a lag effect where people pile in to smaller caps after the big ones run up. Get into them early when the big ones bull. Florida are set to decriminalise next , watch truelieve as they have strong position in that market. Verano Holdings are ones to watch. I know nothing about them as they're a new listing in Canada!

This guy day trades on a couple of dollars so they are all short term positions, no long holding for him.

Anyone any plays for this week?

Treppen wrote: »
    Anyone any plays for this week?

Seems to be a bit of a slide so I'll hold off.

Next interest is Trulieve TCNNF on US OTC. Looking promising if Florida legalises. But it's not cheap especially for an otc.

It's on Trading 212

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

If I had any cash on hand lol!

If I could, I'd go more into US with either Curaleaf or Trulieve.

• Advertisement

If I had any cash on hand lol!

If I could, I'd go more into US with either Curaleaf or Trulieve.

Oh tell me about it! I was up over €1100 on Akerna at one point and of course I got greedy and didn’t sell it then! It will recover at some point though. You got out with profits with that one? At least I made around €400 on Aurora.

Oh tell me about it! I was up over €1100 on Akerna at one point and of course I got greedy and didn’t sell it then! It will recover at some point though. You got out with profits with that one? At least I made around €400 on Aurora.

I got in and out of Akerna and made a nice few quid (that's like 50euro for me these days).

I was thinking of going again but decided togo a different route and check out Glassdoor to see employee reviews! Seems like they've too much work to handle properly.
    Do you think they'll stay the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Crap acquisition. Basically a bunch of pennies thrown together - they were supposed to be getting Leafly so it's plummeting below NAV already. I'd take GRAMF as a previous SPAC over this any day of the week.

• Advertisement

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Crap acquisition. Basically a bunch of pennies thrown together - they were supposed to be getting Leafly so it's plummeting below NAV already. I'd take GRAMF as a previous SPAC over this any day of the week.

Just read an Interview "whoever-wins-california-wins.." there with Michael Auerbach .

SPACs weren't really on my radar,
    what platform are you getting GRAMF pioneerpro ? Is there another name for the ticker?

There was a brief nod to Verano in that Seeking Alpha article as well, which also had been tipped by The Chart Guys a while ago.

BTW I mentioned Organigram as a good buy at US$3.50 a while ago, so I got in and out at $4.50 today. I'm just not sure it's big enough or profitable enough yet, but if it falls to 3.50 again I'd get back in!

Just read an Interview "whoever-wins-california-wins.." there with Michael Auerbach .

SPACs weren't really on my radar, what platform are you getting GRAMF pioneerpro ?

Would have to be IBKR as DeGiro and the rest don't do OTCMKTs. When GNRS ticker changes it'll be the same story as it'll go OTCMKT.

My major cannabis hold would be High Tide that said, with a little in Medmen and 48North, but very much High Tide ftw.

Results are out today for earnings. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/akerna-announces-financial-results-quarter-205000562.html

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Would have to be IBKR as DeGiro and the rest don't do OTCMKTs. When GNRS ticker changes it'll be the same story as it'll go OTCMKT.

My major cannabis hold would be High Tide that said, with a little in Medmen and 48North, but very much High Tide ftw.

High Tide looking to do a reverse split to list on Nasdaq. Do you think they'll last the course?

Cheers. It has pulled back so much! I should have got out when you got out, haha.. I’m also watching OGI again. May re-enter it again if it pulls back a bit more.

High Tide looking to do a reverse split to list on Nasdaq. Do you think they'll last the course?

What do you mean by last the course? It's always been their intention to go for listing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Slowly but surely progressing...

Thanks,

G.

Ah well, back into Organigram at US$3.42 again.

Real bit of a slide going on now.

• Advertisement

Real bit of a slide going on now.

You can sing that; haha 😂

Seems like Aphria earnings report isn't too good.

I still think I'll hold though and play the long game.

Things looking up again?

I don't actually think that this industry is suited to people looking for short term gains. In fact, it's probably more likely to drive you crazy, if that's what you are looking for.

It's still a medium to long term play, IMHO. Sure, legislation has begun to change in parts of the USA etc, but we're still a long way away from seeing doctors consider it for general pain relief etc. That, coupled with more widely accepted recreational use, is where we'll see significant return on investment come from.

For what is worth, and I've mentioned this before, I thnk you are better off putting a small investment into this industry and then leave it for five years, or more. I've opted for a cople of ETFs, which give me the benefit of diversification across a number of companies, professional management, and relatively low fees - while leaving me free to put my time into other things.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    I don't actually think that this industry is suited to people looking for short term gains. In fact, it's probably more likely to drive you crazy, if that's what you are looking for.

It's still a medium to long term play, IMHO. Sure, legislation has begun to change in parts of the USA etc, but we're still a long way away from seeing doctors consider it for general pain relief etc. That, coupled with more widely accepted recreational use, is where we'll see significant return on investment come from.

For what is worth, and I've mentioned this before, I thnk you are better off putting a small investment into this industry and then leave it for five years, or more. I've opted for a cople of ETFs, which give me the benefit of diversification across a number of companies, professional management, and relatively low fees - while leaving me free to put my time into other things.

I'm holding / selling in what looks like 3 month cycles.
    I think the whole medical space now is only a vague excuse, it's more about legalising it for recreation "because other states have done it... Tax dollars... Reducing criminalising etc etc"

Even if it were found to have relatively zero impact on health, Pandora's box is now open with no turning back.

I'm back in on InmMed, Organigram, High Tide, GRAMF, Verano , Aphria (Canada + US) ... Nearly breaking even but suspect another upswing.

So... Anyone holding Aphria, it's happened!

conversion was 0.8381 of Tilray at Friday 30th closing price.
    From my crappy phone it looks like it closed at $18ish so converts to US$15.40 per share which is what Aphria closed at. I think the prices were pretty close to the conversion rate anyway so like-for-like. Well executed merger by all accounts.

My first experience of arbitrage (or lack thereof in this case).

Hasn't changed over on Degiro yet.

So a foothold in Canada and US ! Could it be a Canopy killer?

Edit: got my facts a bit crooked, the merger has only been greenlighted by shareholders, so I don't think Aphria will change over just yet.

Amazing how this topic has gone so quiet - clearly, the likes of EVs became the new sexy topic, so we all moved on.

I'm still looking at my two ETFs in this space, wondering what the future holds.... While the small regular distributions have been okay, capital performance hasn't been good in the last couple of years.

Horizons Marijuana Units Class A (cad)

Etf Managers Trust Etfmg Alternative Harvest

Anyone know how long it takes to grow and cultivate a load of plants, out of interest?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've afew quid in grow generation, and what a depressing chart, ath of 51 in August, and crashed back to 15 now, it makes crypto look stable lol. I was close enough to ditching it yday to harvest the capital losses but who knows when this sector might rocket of again overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Layne

I feel your pain. The whole sector is really struggling at the moment.

A lot of the Canadian stocks, including Tilray and Cronos, were effected by the Barclays ratings and price targets initiated a few weeks back. It really put the brakes on what was slow but steady upward traction on stock price at the time. It is a sector that is definitely out of favour for some reason even as legalisation is getting closer in Germany and Italy. Federal legalisation in the US is seen as the gamechanger but I won't be holding my breath that it will happen anytime soon. Will be bag holding for a few years at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Could be tempted to go back into Canopy again as a year to 2 year buy. Huge drop from their highs earlier in the year

Advertisement