Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 01-01-2018 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, so got a new job in a pharma company in Brinny, my good wife is going to start to look for a job in Pharma also (only starting now to look). What do people think of her chances of getting a job in pharma in the Cork region, also considering the above what would be a good location for me to move to considering where I will be working and my other half may be working ? Looking for max commute of 30 minutes for the two of us. thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You will probably end up living towards Carrigaline as a lot of the other pharma factories are in either Ringaskiddy or Little island . Plenty of work there depends on your qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pharmalot

solargain wrote: »
    You will probably end up living towards Carrigaline as a lot of the other pharma factories are in either Ringaskiddy or Little island . Plenty of work there depends on your qualifications

Thanks a million, is the commute to Brinny from Carrigaline ok, ? I am used to Dublin traffic so hoping to have a slightly less hectic commute each day. The better half is phd qualified so hoping that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

pharmalot wrote: »
    Thanks a million, is the commute to Brinny from Carrigaline ok, ? I am used to Dublin traffic so hoping to have a slightly less hectic commute each day. The better half is phd qualified so hoping that will help.

Its probably about 30minutes without traffic, depending on where in Carrigaline you are. It can be horrible to get in/out of but you would be going the back roads in the opposite direction so not too bad. From there to Ringaskiddy would be less than half the miles and could take almost as long depending on traffic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

In 30 minutes you can get from almost anywhere in the city to either Brinny or Ringaskiddy. Only thing I would avoid is going through the tunnel.

Are Eli Lily in Brinny not recruiting at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It honestly depends on where you get work. The Brinny plant is very near inishannon which is a small village, 20 mins from Cork, but is a nice countryside location . Eli Lilly is nearby in Kinsale, house prices in Kinsale can be quite high, but its a very nice town with almost everthing you need in it.

If you want to live in city with access to Bus routes etc, i would reccomend Curaheen, Bishopstown, Wilton area , if you are willing to live outside city then the inisshannon to kinsale area is nice.

Alot will depend on where you get a job, as picking an area that suits you both will be important.

Just be aware that there are significant upgrade works due to start on Dunkettle interchange in Jan 2019 and this will lead to a good deal of disruption but the end result should be that getting to or from little island or carrigtwohill will become much easier following the works, so if you think you will be in Cork long term consider this into you planning.

• Advertisement

It honestly depends on where you get work. The Brinny plant is very near inishannon which is a small village, 20 mins from Cork, but is a nice countryside location . Eli Lilly is nearby in Kinsale, house prices in Kinsale can be quite high, but its a very nice town with almost everthing you need in it.

If you want to live in city with access to Bus routes etc, i would reccomend Curaheen, Bishopstown, Wilton area , if you are willing to live outside city then the inisshannon to kinsale area is nice.

Alot will depend on where you get a job, as picking an area that suits you both will be important.

Just be aware that there are significant upgrade works due to start on Dunkettle interchange in Jan 2019 and this will lead to a good deal of disruption but the end result should be that getting to or from little island or carrigtwohill will become much easier following the works, so if you think you will be in Cork long term consider this into you planning.

I fully agree with inisshannon and kindle really nice area. Both of us would be really happy to live there to be honest. We have no real desire to live in the city. Eli Lily as discussed in another post would be ideal for this region, my fear would be if my wife ends up in Ringsakiddy that inisshannon would be too far away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you are used to Dublin, then Ringaskiddy and Brinny are very close in travel times in all reality.

Great advice thanks all, like the Innishannon option and hopefully get we get something within a commute from there. All a bit daunting to be honest but how hard could it be :). Buying a house will be the next drama I am sure. Would love to get a new build but from doing some searching suppply seems limited at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Take a look at Ballygarvan, 20mins from both plants, Lilly and MSD. Close enough to city or Douglas for shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

pharmalot wrote: »
    I fully agree with inisshannon and kindle really nice area. Both of us would be really happy to live there to be honest. We have no real desire to live in the city. Eli Lily as discussed in another post would be ideal for this region, my fear would be if my wife ends up in Ringsakiddy that inisshannon would be too far away ?

They wouldnt be too far away really, especially if you can do an 8 o clock start or shift work, you will not be too bad with traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement