Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ulster vs Munster, Mon 1st Jan 5:35pm; BBCNI/TG4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

It was a certain red card. I can’t believe anyone would question it. The laws were changed sometime ago to protect players in situations like this. Arnold hit him high with significant force and according to the laws of the game is a straight red. Fair play to the ref, he didn’t bottle decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Firstly I'm glad I was watching on delay. I would have embarrassed myself at half time if I had been posting on here.

Secondly it was 100% a red card!

But it definitely gave Ulster a big in even though we were coming back into it before Arnold left the pitch, we had just had a try disallowed and had turned countless kicks at goal (much to my annoyance). But that said I doubt we would have won if Munster hadn't gone down to 14.

Munster were cute, in the first half Cloete was walking a fine line and getting away with it but in the second half he was falling on the wrong side of the line. I dont know that he was doing anything different mind!

The difference in intensity between the two packs in the first half was staggering!

I'd love to see Cooney behind a dominant pack!

Shout out to Mattie Rea, that was his best performance for Ulster to date.

I hope Lyttle can stay fit...he has a bit about him, talented obviously, but he has a confidence and looks ballsy too. I'll even forgive the Ash splash just this once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm still waiting to see what's so special about JJ. Looks a painfully average player.

Been a poor few weeks for Munster. They only put in 20 minutes of good rugby last week and about 30 this week. They haven't been switched on properly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The change of props was huge also, Ulster would have continued to be steamrolled up front without those changes.

Ya this changed the game completely.
    I was saying last week that Ulster are weak in the prop positions but the back up is even weaker. Kiss alluded to it in his interview.

I guess Ulster will need to recruit a top class LH for next season as Black is probably just good enough for pro14 level. Really the top teams winning competitions have 4 top class props.
    For Ulster that probably means another Saffer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bilston wrote: »
    I hope Lyttle can stay fit...he has a bit about him, talented obviously, but he has a confidence and looks ballsy too. I'll even forgive the Ash splash just this once.

I won't. Should have been a red. Gallagher bottled it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Potato Farls
    So that second half...

tumblr_n6itceD6OO1qhfadgo2_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Potato Farls
    Whatever about the red card, there was some grit from Ulster to claw their way back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

You had one job Munster, one job bloody job!

***Ulster Rugby announcement***
    A new 3 year contract has been agreed with our glorious leader Les Kiss

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Red card gifted us that match.

Make no mistake, we are a shambles. Fcuk off Les Kiss you absolute spoofer.

Line out is rubbish.
    Scrum is rubbish.
    Defence is rubbish.
    Attack is rubbish.

A stay of execution tonight, shame.

KISS OUT!

Potato Farls
    I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

• Advertisement

I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Your coach has been there 2 games, we've suffered almost 3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Potato Farls
    awec wrote: »

Line out is rubbish.
    Scrum is rubbish.
    Defence is rubbish.
    Attack is rubbish.

KISS OUT!

Jesus, there really is no pleasing some people. Ulster fight their way back into a game that they ultimately win with a TBP and it’s a bad thing!?

You got back into that game before any card was brandished. Scores were coming and you were forcing Munster into making mistakes. For almost the entire second half Ulster were the better team. There were quite a lot of positives from the performance as a whole, particularly the grit mentioned earlier.

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pienaar was at the match tonight.

He’ll be back at Ulster in some capacity before long.

Potato Farls
    awec wrote: »

Line out is rubbish.
    Scrum is rubbish.
    Defence is rubbish.
    Attack is rubbish.

KISS OUT!
    I was wondering what was keeping you. Obviously it takes time to turn a win into a disaster. :D

Potato Farls
    C'mon awec. Your reaction just screams confirmation bias.

You were bailed out by Munster indiscipline and won when at HT it looked like it was going be a thirty pointer.

At least enjoy the wins! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Awec is right tbh. Munster threw that game away, when you go down to 13 men you're going to concede points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Enjoyed seeing Cave at 13.

As for the first half, good to see they picked up where they left of last week... awful.

I think Awec is right tbh. Munster threw that game away, when you go down to 13 men you're going to concede points.

Getting hammered by leinster will be meaningless, defeat tonight would have brought us a bit closer to kiss going. This win has bought Ulster a few more months of misery and suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Getting hammered by leinster will be meaningless, defeat tonight would have brought us a bit closer to kiss going. This win has bought Ulster a few more months of misery and suffering

I assume you are just being mischievous and didn't actually want Munster to win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

Let’s be clear, Ulster showed a lot of heart and determination to get back into the game. However, this is the least you’d expect from a professional rugby team. A lot of focus is being placed on Kiss, but I would have expected Gibbs to have made a greater impact at this stage. Their set piece is a shambles at times. Hendo and Best will improve things, and a fit Murphy and Coetzee will definitely improve things. Gibbs definitely deserves another season or two to get things right, but progress we has been very slow to say the least. Or are players like Timoney, Rea etc improving on the back of his coaching?

Potato Farls
    This is fool's gold you're looking for. Before this it was Doak and before that it was Anscombe or whoever, I've lost count tbh.

Ulster have no depth and no pack. It's a constant balance between trying to stave off injuries and actually put a team on the pitch.

bilston wrote: »

I assume you are just being mischievous and didn't actually want Munster to win?
    No, I'll always want Ulster to win. However sometimes undesirable things are necessary for the required change to happen. I don't doubt a large portion of Ulster fans felt a little bittersweet with the result tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Regardless of the result tonight, I would have been fairly shocked if Kiss wasn’t at least allowed to finish his term.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Ulster makes European quarterfinals. I doubt the IRFU will extend his contract given the seeming frustration amongst Ulsters fanbase but I wouldn’t totally rule it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes, the points only started to flow when Munster went down to 14 but that yellow came after a prolonged spell of Ulster pressure and Munster infringements. The turnaround had started even if Munster shot themselves in the foot, so Ulster deserve some of the credit.

BTW I thought Zebo was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Potato Farls
    We saw some of that down in Leinster during MOCs time. I’ll never understand that. Surely the ideal is for the coaches and players to turn things around? Otherwise you’re looking to lose all remaining games this season. Not making the play offs or Europe surely make Kiss leaving most likely. And are you really a supporter in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Brewster wrote: »
    Let’s be clear, Ulster showed a lot of heart and determination to get back into the game. However, this is the least you’d expect from a professional rugby team. A lot of focus is being placed on Kiss, but I would have expected Gibbs to have made a greater impact at this stage. Their set piece is a shambles at times. Hendo and Best will improve things, and a fit Murphy and Coetzee will definitely improve things. Gibbs definitely deserves another season or two to get things right, but progress we has been very slow to say the least. Or are players like Timoney, Rea etc improving on the back of his coaching?

Ya I would have thought Gibbes would have had more impact. But then again you can't turn donkeys into derby horses. I am sure he knows a lot of the forwards just aren't good enough.

I find it a bit sad that Kiss gets such stick. It is like those soccer supporters crying for a coach's head. I think he is doing a reasonable enough job given the ****e he has been landed with.

The whole PJ/Olding thing smacks of a lack of discipline at the heart of the club and that takes time to root out. Even Cave speaking out is poor for a professional player. Keep your mouth shut and do your job.

They have been unlucky/poor with recruitment in terms of players getting injured. Coetzee would have made a big difference but signing Ah You was a blunder. If you watched Connacht regularly he was at best inconsistent. Always looked out of shape. We will have to wait and see how Moore turns out. He has his injury and weight issues too. He hasn't dislodged the no.1 TH at Wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ulster were awful up until the cards. Completely swung the game. Still though, a win is a win and they did well to do what they had to do. Hopefully it lifts the squad's confidence and stops the rot

What's the story with Rory Best? When's he due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,600 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Potato Farls
    Surely Ulster fans don't want Kiss to be thrown out halfway through the season and have to have an interim coach put in place though?

If anything that'd probably be more detrimental than keeping him in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Red card for me and it cost Munster the match. Looking forward to seeing us play Ulster at the RDS.

Advertisement