Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miriam for President?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bandit14

Is this for real people ?? Can't be serious !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bandit14 wrote: »
    Is this for real people ?? Can't be serious !!

Unfortunately, I think it is.

FG will have to get someone of similar standing in the country to combat this threat. Maybe a Biddy or a Dustin the Turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

• Registered Users Posts: 68,358 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I do think a president with a creative and intellectual background sits well in the Aras as M.D. has proved to be. I have been at a number of events which he has addressed and I think he has been a thoughtful, diligent and respectful President.

I don't think we would get that style of President with Miriam, and while I am sure she would bring her own style and talents to the job, I don't think they would be suited to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Trump can be POTUS, then no reason why Miriam can't be President of Ireland.

Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Anyone but Mikeldy Higgins.

It was bad enough that his initial election was sabotaged by Sinn Fein but he's just not an affective head of state and we need better with some difficult events coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nitrogan wrote: »

It was bad enough that his initial election was sabotaged by Sinn Fein but he's just not an affective head of state and we need better with some difficult events coming.

He's the best of whats in the Dail or Seanad. He'd get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Indo are still spinning that she is going to run. I cant see it happening unless Michael D decides to retire.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/miriam-dumps-chat-show-fuelling-speculation-she-will-run-for-the-ras-36739211.html
    RTÉ broadcaster Miriam O'Callaghan has dramatically fuelled speculation she is to run in the presidential election by announcing she is taking a break from her summer chat show.

Last night when contacted by the Irish Independent, Ms O'Callaghan did not comment on whether she intends to run for the presidency.

RTÉ would also not comment when asked if management had met with Ms O'Callaghan to discuss any presidential ambitions she may have.

This week, Ms O'Callaghan said she was taking a hiatus from her chat show so she could focus on a documentary on the Troubles in Northern Ireland, the abortion referendum in May and the papal visit in August.

However, this change has now sparked intense speculation amongst colleagues in Montrose that the mother-of-eight is freeing up her summer to campaign ahead of a presidential election later this year.

"It's all a bit odd and you'd have to say all the talk about her running is serious now," a senior RTÉ source told the Irish Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nitrogan wrote: »

Would you elaborate on that for us? What difficult events do you foresee that the President would have to deal with directly? That person that wields no political or executive power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Indo are still spinning that she is going to run. I cant see it happening unless Michael D decides to retire.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/miriam-dumps-chat-show-fuelling-speculation-she-will-run-for-the-ras-36739211.html

I'll be leaving if she gets in.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't see Miriam as a credible candidate at all. However I cant reject her out of hand, because she has a practically identical profile to Mary McAleese at the point she decided to run. Journo, lawyer, high profile working mother etc.

I also don't think Michael D should remain until he is 85, I just think a head of state and No. 1 ambassador for the Country should not be at risk of health problems or loss of faculties associated with great age.

I think our head of state should have some considerable political or judicial experience and be learned, or be a noted campaigner for justice or social progress, not a minor celebrity.

The type of suitable people that occur to me are Fergus Finlay, Liz O'Donnell, Colm O'Gorman, Catherine Day. I dont know from where Gerard Craughwell thinks anyone has any interest or knowledge of him.

Its a pity Peter Sutherland passed away prematurely, he wouldve been a peerless candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

President of Ireland is basically an ambassador role, it doesn't matter how does it. Shake a few hands, send out a few condolence statements, that's about it. Saying that I don't want Miriam or anyone Sinn Fein to get the job. Oh or Bertie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The single most annoying personality RTÉ ever produced, and I include Ray Darcy in that. Would embarrass the Office of President just by being anywhere near it.

Michael D for a second term please. He has so far brought everything that should be brought to the Presidency: decorum without being pompous, a concern for the people no matter what their walk of life, fluent in Irish (one of really only three of four poliitical roles where it's essential) and most importantly, he seems to love the job because he respects what it is and what it isn't. He didn't run for notoriety.

B..b..b..Bertie, for all his very considerable faults, probably wouldn't do a bad job. He'd be a damn sight better than glorifying a celebrity for the hell of it. Just wouldn't deserve it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sdanseo wrote: »

B..b..b..Bertie, for all his very considerable faults, probably wouldn't do a bad job. He'd be a damn sight better than glorifying a celebrity for the hell of it. Just wouldn't deserve it.

Not a snowball`s chance in hell that Bertie would be considered for the office of president. If it had been 12 years or so ago maybe but after all the revelations since 2006/2007 no way would it happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The single most annoying personality RTÉ ever produced, and I include Ray Darcy in that. Would embarrass the Office of President just by being anywhere near it.

Michael D for a second term please. He has so far brought everything that should be brought to the Presidency: decorum without being pompous, a concern for the people no matter what their walk of life, fluent in Irish (one of really only three of four poliitical roles where it's essential) and most importantly, he seems to love the job because he respects what it is and what it isn't. He didn't run for notoriety.

have to agree with you there. I've listened to and read a number of his speeches and they have been excellent and inspiring. Particularly when he's speaking to young people, his speech at the Young Scientist awards this year was great.
    He understands the limitations of the job but excels where the job can make a difference.
    I'd love him to stay on longer but as another poster mentioned 85 might just be that bit too old. Though I don't see any harm in him staying on and retiring if his health gets the better of him. Particularly given the 'alternatives' that have been mooted so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As they are just a figure head with no real political power then sure, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As they are just a figure head with no real political power then sure, why not.

The President is a good bit more than that. It's an office that should lead the state in all matters outside party politics, and so tends to use its considerable influence in community events, movements, societies, charities.

The President also has an important constitutional role. While nominated by a party more often than not, the office is impartial - Michael D in particular takes this very seriously, making a big deal in his inagural speech of how he was immediately resigning from every position in the Labour Party. This allows them to take a breath before signing legislation without the fear of backlash and the President has in the past referred many bills to the Supreme Court to test their constitutionality.

And of course the President is the "figurehead" - a ceremonial role, head of the Defence Forces, appoints Taoisigh and Ministers, welcomes new ambassadors, participates in Easter / Ware commemorations and so on. A lot of people see this part of it as for show, a waste of money, but for me at least it's incredibly important. It's hard to be proud of a country if you don't make a show of its identity every so often.

DeV(alera, not the boards admin) would turn in his grave at the thought but from this point of view the President is not too unlike the purpose of keeping the Royals around in the UK. And they are overwhelmingly loved and admired by the brits, and that's without being elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The President is a good bit more than that. It's an office that should lead the state in all matters outside party politics, and so tends to use its considerable influence in community events, movements, societies, charities.

The President also has an important constitutional role. While nominated by a party more often than not, the office is impartial - Michael D in particular takes this very seriously, making a big deal in his inagural speech of how he was immediately resigning from every position in the Labour Party. This allows them to take a breath before signing legislation without the fear of backlash and the President has in the past referred many bills to the Supreme Court to test their constitutionality.

And of course the President is the "figurehead" - a ceremonial role, head of the Defence Forces, appoints Taoisigh and Ministers, welcomes new ambassadors, participates in Easter / Ware commemorations and so on. A lot of people see this part of it as for show, a waste of money, but for me at least it's incredibly important. It's hard to be proud of a country if you don't make a show of its identity every so often.

DeV(alera, not the boards admin) would turn in his grave at the thought but from this point of view the President is not too unlike the purpose of keeping the Royals around in the UK. And they are overwhelmingly loved and admired by the brits, and that's without being elected.

Well said. I'd also add, if you've ever been a resident or doing work abroad it's a massive boost to have an Ambassador or President visit and acknowledge your presence and effort, and they generally thank you for representing your country abroad.
    It's an over-simplification to say that the president has no 'power'. the power of leadership is rather difficult to measure and often is not felt for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its a pity Peter Sutherland passed away prematurely, he wouldve been a peerless candidate.
    Career bankster, lobbyist for unrestricted third world migration into the EU, and the man who said "the European Union, in my view, should be doing its best to undermine sense of our homogeneity and difference" (between individual countries).
    Hard to think of anyone more unsuitable to preside over a nation state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't see Miriam as a credible candidate at all. However I cant reject her out of hand, because she has a practically identical profile to Mary McAleese at the point she decided to run. Journo, lawyer, high profile working mother etc.

I also don't think Michael D should remain until he is 85, I just think a head of state and No. 1 ambassador for the Country should not be at risk of health problems or loss of faculties associated with great age.

I think our head of state should have some considerable political or judicial experience and be learned, or be a noted campaigner for justice or social progress, not a minor celebrity.

The type of suitable people that occur to me are Fergus Finlay, Liz O'Donnell, Colm O'Gorman, Catherine Day. I dont know from where Gerard Craughwell thinks anyone has any interest or knowledge of him.

Colm O'Gorman.!!! Sober up fast. You must be swallowing all the propaganda.
    it would be like voting in the Soros candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

This allows them to take a breath before signing legislation without the fear of backlash and the President has in the past referred many bills to the Supreme Court to test their constitutionality.

On this, I know Michael D convened the Council of State and considered referring the x-case legislation, but decided not to; has he actually referred any legislation to the Supreme Court? Genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

No No No.....this woman has no merit in being president......there has to be loads of better qualified candidates, male and female to challenge for it.

I dont get the nation's obsession with her, in face im not even sure it is a national obsession .....rather an RTE one. Terrible interviewer, she can't remain objective. It will be a sad sad day if i see her on the ballot paper...never mind actually getting elected. Stick to your tv shows love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Thomas__.

Mod note:

Hi OP,

Please read the charter re: standards of opening post and the requirement to set out your own view on the issue to get the debate rolling.

OK sorry my apologies.

I think this is a totally ridiculous idea. IMO it would make Fianna Fail a laughing stock in much the same way as the idea that was floated previously regarding approaching Gay Byrne as a candidate.

I think that neither of them would be worse than the one they have sent in seven years ago, the 'Mr Brown envelope' Sean Gallagher who was called out for that by Martin McGuinness. The last presidential election campaign was a real fun to follow up. It was good that the only rational candidate, the present President Michael D. Higgins, made it as the other candidates were in many respects just below the decency this high office requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭neris

the media seem to be the only ones interested in and pushing for miriam to be president, only cause shes one of their own and they could have easy access to her as president & buddy. politics seems to be more of a personality contest now for media types who want a bit of extra publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭neris

368100 wrote: »
    I dont get the nation's obsession with her, in face im not even sure it is a national obsession .....rather an RTE one. Terrible interviewer, she can't remain objective. It will be a sad sad day if i see her on the ballot paper...never mind actually getting elected. Stick to your tv shows love.

its not the nation its just Rte & the independent/barry egan fawning pen pusher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Thomas__. wrote: »
    Mod note:

Hi OP,

Please read the charter re: standards of opening post and the requirement to set out your own view on the issue to get the debate rolling.

OK sorry my apologies.

I think this is a totally ridiculous idea. IMO it would make Fianna Fail a laughing stock in much the same way as the idea that was floated previously regarding approaching Gay Byrne as a candidate.

I think that neither of them would be worse than the one they have sent in seven years ago, the 'Mr Brown envelope' Sean Gallagher who was called out for that by Martin McGuinness. The last presidential election campaign was a real fun to follow up. It was good that the only rational candidate, the present President Michael D. Higgins, made it as the other candidates were in many respects just below the decency this high office requires.
    The FG lad wasn't bad or controversial in any way. He was just so incredibly forgettable that he never really got up and running in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The main problem with Gallagher was he wanted to turn the Presidency into a side show. We don't need that kind of representative. It's mostly a figure head position, but we need maintain an element of dignity to it. We dodged a bullet not having that chap.
    Miriam strikes my as a novelty choice. I hate to see the office treated like a senate seat where any useless tosser has a chance of getting in. The difference here is the world gets to see the result. We are blessed with Michael D. Hopefully the next person is cut from a similar cloth and not Jedward on a rotating dignitary basis.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Probably not the most popular choice (which is baffling really) but I’d like to see Enda Kenny get in when Michael D does hang up his spurs.

Kenny restored a lot of dignity to the offfice of Taoiseach, and like him or loathe him, he was the leader which restored Ireland to some sort of normality after the state in which it was left when he inherited the job.

The problem is though in Ireland people have too short a memory, and water charges and it’s all the gubberments fault etc......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Probably not the most popular choice (which is baffling really) but I’d like to see Enda Kenny get in when Michael D does hang up his spurs.

Kenny restored a lot of dignity to the offfice of Taoiseach, and like him or loathe him, he was the leader which restored Ireland to some sort of normality after the state in which it was left when he inherited the job.

The problem is though in Ireland people have too short a memory, and water charges and it’s all the gubberments fault etc......
    He's very highly regarded abroad as well. Would be an excellent face for Ireland, despite what people say.

Advertisement