Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

How much money does a club give to the GAA?

  • 18-12-2017 10:35pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    How much in a year? Does it depend on the size of the club? Does the money only go to the county board or HQ aswell? What happens if clubs don’t pay?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cur1z
    Registered User


    It will depend on each county and each club. In 2016 my club paid over €13,000 to the GAA County Board and over €2,000 to the LGFA County Board. After introducing Camogie this year we will also have fees for the Camogie Association.

    The €13k is broken down into the following:
    County Registration €500
    Team Affiliation Fees €450
    Referee Fees €2300
    Property/Public Liability Insurance (goes through head office but is paid to the CoBo) €2700
    Player Injury Fund (Four Tiers based on previous claims - we were Tier 1) €4600
    County Board Levy (To pay for County Centre of Excellence & New County Grounds) €2400

    If you don't pay your County Registration and Team Affiliation Fees your club and players will not be eligible to compete in any competitions.

    If you don't pay your referees fees they will refuse to cover your matches and you won't be able to play any games.

    If you don't have Property/Public Liability Insurance you will not be allowed to have training sessions or matches or even meetings on club grounds.

    If you don't pay your Player Injury Fund contribution then any players who were injured during the year and needed physio, scans, operations or any other medical treatment will not be reimbursed.

    In the past clubs have complained about the County Board Levy and have been able to postpone payments for a period of time.

    €13,000 seems like a lot of money but it is only 11% of the €120,000 club expenditure last year.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    cur1z wrote: »
    It will depend on each county and each club. In 2016 my club paid over €13,000 to the GAA County Board and over €2,000 to the LGFA County Board. After introducing Camogie this year we will also have fees for the Camogie Association.

    The €13k is broken down into the following:
    County Registration €500
    Team Affiliation Fees €450
    Referee Fees €2300
    Property/Public Liability Insurance (goes through head office but is paid to the CoBo) €2700
    Player Injury Fund (Four Tiers based on previous claims - we were Tier 1) €4600
    County Board Levy (To pay for County Centre of Excellence & New County Grounds) €2400

    If you don't pay your County Registration and Team Affiliation Fees your club and players will not be eligible to compete in any competitions.

    If you don't pay your referees fees they will refuse to cover your matches and you won't be able to play any games.

    If you don't have Property/Public Liability Insurance you will not be allowed to have training sessions or matches or even meetings on club grounds.

    If you don't pay your Player Injury Fund contribution then any players who were injured during the year and needed physio, scans, operations or any other medical treatment will not be reimbursed.

    In the past clubs have complained about the County Board Levy and have been able to postpone payments for a period of time.

    €13,000 seems like a lot of money but it is only 11% of the €120,000 club expenditure last year.

    So would only 950 euro go to the GAA for them to cover their expenses if you discount the levy which wouldn’t exist in most counties? Like referees fees go to refs and insurance & player injury fund ultimately go to insurance companies?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cur1z
    Registered User


    Essentially yeah, that €950 is what my club contributes to my county board to run underage and adult competitions, fund coaches for schools and to support the county development squads and senior teams. It would be heavily topped up by money from Central Council that largely comes from Ticket Sales and Commercial Revenue, as well as the County Board Sponsorship Deal and Gate Receipts.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    There’s about 2400 clubs in Ireland so taking that 950 as an average, not sure how average that figure would be, then 2400*950 is about 2280000 and that figure is dwarfed by the amount of money GAA bring in from the intercounty game. Which would be about 60 million annual.

    Like is it any wonder the GAA takes after and prioritizes the interests of the elites?
    Do GAA fans and journalists like brolly that pay huge lip service to the club game as the life blood of the association not miss the point that the intercounty game provides the cash for the club game to flourish?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 danganabu


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    There’s about 2400 clubs in Ireland so taking that 950 as an average, not sure how average that figure would be, then 2400*950 is about 2280000 and that figure is dwarfed by the amount of money GAA bring in from the intercounty game. Which would be about 60 million annual.

    Like is it any wonder the GAA takes after and prioritizes the interests of the elites?
    Do GAA fans and journalists like brolly that pay huge lip service to the club game as the life blood of the association not miss the point that the intercounty game provides the cash for the club game to flourish?

    Very different practices depending on the county, in Tipperary the cost of entereing an adult team is €1,000 per team, this includes referee fees, registration, medal costs etc. At least that was what it was the last time I was involved with the local clubs finances. Each county will produce individual detailed end of year accounts where all this can be collated from .


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    There’s about 2400 clubs in Ireland so taking that 950 as an average, not sure how average that figure would be, then 2400*950 is about 2280000 and that figure is dwarfed by the amount of money GAA bring in from the intercounty game. Which would be about 60 million annual.

    Like is it any wonder the GAA takes after and prioritizes the interests of the elites?
    Do GAA fans and journalists like brolly that pay huge lip service to the club game as the life blood of the association not miss the point that the intercounty game provides the cash for the club game to flourish?

    no it doesn't
    clubs see very little of that cash
    far more money is generated from all the club games and club fundraisers around the country


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Redcardayl
    Registered User


    cur1z wrote: »
    It will depend on each county and each club. In 2016 my club paid over €13,000 to the GAA County Board and over €2,000 to the LGFA County Board. After introducing Camogie this year we will also have fees for the Camogie Association.

    The €13k is broken down into the following:
    County Registration €500
    Team Affiliation Fees €450
    Referee Fees €2300
    Property/Public Liability Insurance (goes through head office but is paid to the CoBo) €2700
    Player Injury Fund (Four Tiers based on previous claims - we were Tier 1) €4600
    County Board Levy (To pay for County Centre of Excellence & New County Grounds) €2400

    If you don't pay your County Registration and Team Affiliation Fees your club and players will not be eligible to compete in any competitions.

    If you don't pay your referees fees they will refuse to cover your matches and you won't be able to play any games.

    If you don't have Property/Public Liability Insurance you will not be allowed to have training sessions or matches or even meetings on club grounds.

    If you don't pay your Player Injury Fund contribution then any players who were injured during the year and needed physio, scans, operations or any other medical treatment will not be reimbursed.

    In the past clubs have complained about the County Board Levy and have been able to postpone payments for a period of time.

    €13,000 seems like a lot of money but it is only 11% of the €120,000 club expenditure last year.

    In regards to the comment "In the past clubs have complained about the County Board Levy and have been able to postpone payments for a period of time."

    What would happen if a club didn't pay the levy? Is this legal for the county board to charge this?

    Thanks

    (",)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭ CrabRevolution
    Registered User


    Redcardayl wrote: »
    In regards to the comment "In the past clubs have complained about the County Board Levy and have been able to postpone payments for a period of time."

    What would happen if a club didn't pay the levy? Is this legal for the county board to charge this?

    Thanks

    (",)

    I'm not sure how you could argue it's illegal. The county board organise gaelic games in the county and can set whatever requirements they like of the clubs wishing to take part in those games. Whether the club thinks that's fair on the other hand....

    As for punishments for not paying, I doubt any county board would go the nuclear option of kicking a club out of competitions but they could be penalised with no home games or things like that.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    there's €148,000 or something like that owed to westmeath county board by the clubs for a coaching levy owed every year.

    a lot of clubs don't pay it as they see no return from it


Advertisement