Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton - Moving Advice

Options
  • 16-12-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All, my partner and I are looking to move to Cork, hopefully Midleton. We have a newborn and I will be starting a job near Cork city next week. Currently we are living in Co.Limerick and the commute will be a bit long. We are looking to buy and not rent, however dont have a huge budget so looking at €120 max.

We are looking for some opinions on the area, and in particular on the Ard na Corann estate there. Is this a safe area? What are the locals like? Are there good places to eat for vegetarians/vegans?

We have found a property we would like to view here but not too sure about living in an estate/built up area. If anyone had any insight into this area, that would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I presume that if you're looking at Midleton that the job is east of Cork city.
    I like Midleton, live just beyond Ard na Corann in Broomfield.

Midleton is a great spot.
    It's well set up with schools, supermarkets, cinema and plenty of nice pubs and restaurants. You've the train to Cork if you want to leave the car at home.

I don't know much about that estate bar walking through it to get to the train station, it seems fine. The general area is young enough, you'll always have people out and about walking with babies and dogs, and kids playing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Don't much about that particular estate but Midleton is a nice town. I was thinking of moving there myself. Just be careful with the tunnel. I've a few colleagues who have to go from Midleton through the tunnel every day and they say it's a nightmare. If you're working in Little Island or somewhere like that then it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinclancy1

Thanks guys, I would be taking the tunnel (for Carrigaline), however I would be taking it from limerick anyway, and at least Midleton would be a good area to invest in if we decide to sell in future. I hear it is a nice place, I guess we are just wary about neighbours etc. since we don't know the area. We are first time buyers so nervous enough about getting a mortgage! We had looked on the west side of Cork, but havent seen anything decent enough for the money that isn't over an hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thanks guys, I would be taking the tunnel (for Carrigaline), however I would be taking it from limerick anyway, and at least Midleton would be a good area to invest in if we decide to sell in future. I hear it is a nice place, I guess we are just wary about neighbours etc. since we don't know the area. We are first time buyers so nervous enough about getting a mortgage! We had looked on the west side of Cork, but havent seen anything decent enough for the money that isn't over an hour away.

Something to consider is the Dunkettle interchange upgrade works which will kick off in the next year. Traffic can be tough going through the tunnel at rush hour as is. Once construction starts traffic will be significantly disrupted. Throw in the M28 and commuting from Midleton to Carrigaline is about as nightmarish as it'll get over the next 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

You also have the option of taking the ferry between Glenbrook and Carrigaloe if you want to avoid the tunnel.

Commuter tickets are €28 per week.

http://crossriverferries.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Midleton is a nice town. We live in a nearby village but it's "our town" for pottering into at weekends, and getting the groceries. There's a lovely market on Saturdays that's well worth a morning trip into town. You're probably right that it's an area that is on the up. As the country recovers so too does the commuter belt around Cork city. The plans for Dunkettle will be a boost for East Cork and there's plans for a new greenway running from Youghal to Carrigtwohill (or maybe slightly further, I can't remember the details exactly).

The downside here though is that until Dunkettle is sorted, traffic is going to get worse and worse. It's already added about 5-10 minutes to my morning drive compared to last year and there's no "leaving 10 minutes early to beat the queues" because its pretty much all morning. I don't know Midleton traffic in morning (I only drive past it on my commute) but I'd guesstimate you'd have to leave by 7:20am to beat the worst of the traffic. Obviously that's no good if that's too early for you to be going to work. There is going to be massive disruption (I assume) when the work on Dunkettle is going on but once we have a nice free flowing system through the interchange it should cut out the traffic queues there.... moving them to the Mahon and Kinsale/city exits in the morning and the roundabout at Midleton in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Hi OP. I recently moved into Ard Na Corann and so far so good. Very quite to date, about two/three minutes walk to the train station, quickly onto the relief road(avoiding town which can be busy) to get on the N25 to Cork and about 10 mins walk into town itself(cutting through the station). Lots to do in Midleton, still discovering the place ourselves but lots of shops, bars, restaurants and a cinema so you don't need to go to Cork for everything.
    I would agree with the others about the dunkettle espicially with the upgrades coming up the ferry maybe a good option for your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eudo09

Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining in, but my wife has been offered a job travelling all over Munster for an engineering company and from our research Midleton seems to tick all the boxes for us. We would be moving from Glasgow with 3 kids & I'd appreciate any advice anyone had on this, we want a quiet place with good schools and enough to do to keep the kids happy (they're 15, 5, 2).

Advertisement