Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Christmas Veg

• 15-12-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭ carltonleon

Hi,
    I want to do roast carrots and roasted beetroots as part of my Christmas dinner.
    But I want to do different coloured beetroot and different coloured carrots but I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells them.
    Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin, preferably North County that sells them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,242 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn

Hi,
    I want to do roast carrots and roasted beetroots as part of my Christmas dinner.
    But I want to do different coloured beetroot and different coloured carrots but I can’t seem to find anywhere that sells them.
    Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin, preferably North County that sells them?

Thanks in advance

No idea about beetroot but I have seen different colour carrots in Tesco and other supermarkets at times but it can be very hit and miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭ Caranica

M&S do different colour prepared carrot batons in a bag but not sure about fresh whole carrots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 26,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Posy

You can get different coloured carrots??

I thought the only different coloured carrots were parsnips!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Posy wrote: »

I thought the same thing! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭ 2nd Row Donkey

Anyone else childishly laugh at the thread name because they thought it said 'Christmas vag'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭ Caranica

Posy wrote: »

Yellow ones and purple ones even. Though they all do taste of...carrot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭ Cortina_MK_IV

If you feel like going all "The Good Life" grow your own for next year. :)

1113208.jpg

Unwin’s Rainbow Carrots in Woodies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Mind is being blown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle

I don’t think carrots were originally orange but I don’t know much beyond that. Supervalu might be worth a look. Or if there is a farmers market near you you’d have a good chance of picking them up there.

If you feel like going all "The Good Life" grow your own for next year. :)
    Holy cow!! I have learned something today. :pac:

• Advertisement

I have also seen a prepared rainbow carrots thing in Tesco which you might keep a look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭ carltonleon

Cheers all,
    Still no luck, I tried Tesco this morning but nothing but Orange carrots and the beets were not great at all. I might try Evergreen greengrocer on Wexford St when I am in work next week

Cheers all,
    Still no luck, I tried Tesco this morning but nothing but Orange carrots and the beets were not great at all. I might try Evergreen greengrocer on Wexford St when I am in work next week

Your only hope with Tesco would be a large Tesco Extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭ Toto Wolfcastle

Cheers all,

You could try Fallon & Byrne too.

You could try Fallon & Byrne too.

Good shout, totally forgot about there. Thanks Toto

So just a quick update !!!
    I went over to Fallon and Byrne today and they had Golden and Candystripe Beetroots. Some of them were very soft but I managed to get a few. On the carrot front they had yellow, white and purple carrots along with yellow and purple baby carrots. The large carrots, I felt, were very soft but the baby ones were perfects so I got some of them. I will roast them up during the week to see how they turn out before deciding to get some more for Christmas.

Thanks everyone who replied

So I parboiled the beetroots for 25 mins and then roasted them in EV Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, sage, salt and pepper

64F01FF5-1546-4499-939D-D6CECA088803.jpeg just after parboiling and doused with oil, vinegar, sage

36614B4D-1381-45F4-B3A7-2E2AF9D6E5A7.jpeg after roasting for 35 mins

The Golden beetroots were beautiful, really really sweet. The candystripe ones were also lovely, not quite as sweet but still well worth doing.

They look lovely! :)

Advertisement