Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War Z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Crap trailer. Haven't a notion what sort of game it is from that.

Having googled it though, it's done by the guys who made Timeshift (OK) and Halo: Anniversary (great) as well as assisting with some other titles like Quake Champions.

So reasonably competent studio looking to pull off Left4Dead....I'm definitely interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First gameplay footage I've seen. Nothing special, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

looks like the division... with zombies

• They mention it being like the book in that it's many peoples perspective but I bet my bottom dollar all that changes is the map. I would toughly recommend people actually read the book it's not all that long but how it tells it's tale is very clever and I don't think this game will be nearly as clever. It looks dated already in what they are trying to do. It's basically left 4 dead meets everything after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They mention it being like the book in that it's many peoples perspective but I bet my bottom dollar all that changes is the map. I would toughly recommend people actually read the book it's not all that long but how it tells it's tale is very clever and I don't think this game will be nearly as clever. It looks dated already in what they are trying to do. It's basically left 4 dead meets everything after.

Just chiming in to second the book recommendation, some amazing sequences in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So, has anyone picked this up? Impressions? Left 4 Dead was ace, so if it can capture some of that I'd Be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

fixxxer wrote: »
    So, has anyone picked this up? Impressions? Left 4 Dead was ace, so if it can capture some of that I'd Be interested.

I was looking for this thread earlier, it looks great fun and reviews are favourable. 40 quids not bad but you would wonder if they will be providing any updates and/or balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Game Pass is ruining me. I see a sub full-price game like this and before I would have bought it, but it looks exactly like the kind that will end up there in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just chiming in to second the book recommendation, some amazing sequences in it

And thirded. If you're not the reading type, the audio book has a stellar cast with Mark Hamill and Nathan Fillion, amoungst others.

I think I might just give this a go and hope for the best. Can always trade it in sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Sleeper hit of the year imo

• chrislad wrote: »
    And thirded. If you're not the reading type, the audio book has a stellar cast with Mark Hamill and Nathan Fillion, amoungst others.

I actually "re-read" it recently via audio book and you're right it's excellent.

If you liked L4D you'll like it.
    Higher octane, horde survival. You'd need a squad of four on mics though to play the higher difficulties.

Is this basically multiplayer only or would single player be any fun?

glasso wrote: »
    Is this basically multiplayer only or would single player be any fun?

The AI is pretty woeful, best to play co-op in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Watching Jackfrags playing it there and it looks pretty but completely bereft of anything remotely like tension etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The AI is pretty woeful, best to play co-op in some form.

And that's me out. I was not pushed at getting this, but if this is the case, it's definitely not for me.

I can't see this doing well, but I'll put my hands up if it does. I don't see any real hype for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

According to Saber Interactive, it's exceeding expectations sales-wise (although the developers would say that I guess) - 1m copies sold across all platforms in its first week.

Have it installing, but won't get to play until tomorrow. Here's hoping.

Crashes are daily on PS4, also the corrupted save data puts a damper on things.

• Advertisement

Watching Jackfrags playing it there and it looks pretty but completely bereft of anything remotely like tension etc.

Play it on Hard or higher ;)

According to Saber Interactive, it's exceeding expectations sales-wise (although the developers would say that I guess) - 1m copies sold across all platforms in its first week.

It really is though. A game at a budget price on launch that nobody was talking about previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just goes to show how much demand there is for another Left 4 Dead game. If only Valve were still a game dev.

PS patch live, all 15gb of it, supposed to fix the corrupted save problem, fingers crossed.

They have also made it more of a grind to upgrade weapons but any progress you had remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

dudeeile wrote: »
    PS patch live, all 15gb of it, supposed to fix the corrupted save problem, fingers crossed.

They have also made it more of a grind to upgrade weapons but any progress you had remains.

Not a fan of them making it more grindy to unlock any further weapons. The pace seemed spot on I thought, and they will need to introduce more content soon if the grind has increased by much as I was already starting to tire of the original set of maps and missions.

Great game all the same thought and I am glad to see it seems to be selling well and has found an audience.

Yep I definitely preferred the easier unlock system, this shouldn't bother most original players as they will have all the unlocks completed at this stage, I have quite a few unlocked just not paid for and I only picked it up.

It's earning coins that is the problem and I can see them addressing that in the near future.

They have the third part of Tokyo that's still due but I'm not sure if we will see new maps, I think they may be hoping that all replayability will come from harder tiers, that's not gonna work for solos or randoms. It gets undoable even on hard if you have bad teammates and there are 2 more difficulties past that. Cracking fun game to play.

It's a great game when it lasts with m8s. They need more campaign maps quickly however.
    The base game was too short IMO.

And now they have made it even more grindy. I won't be returning until there is new content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It's a great game when it lasts with m8s. They need more campaign maps quickly however.
    The base game was too short IMO.

And now they have made it even more grindy. I won't be returning until there is new content.

How short is the base game? Would you have it complete in a few hours?

ZiabR wrote: »
    How short is the base game? Would you have it complete in a few hours?

Yes on Normal run.

But there are higher difficulties and it's repayable enough. But still needs more.

• Advertisement

Played it finally last night and went straight to hard. The little lore there is is a nice merging of bits of the book and bits of the film. Found the 3rd person view tough to get used it at first. The Melee class is my favourite so far. Feel the guns don't have quite the weight I would like from a shooter, or the enemies are a bit papery or something. Still, enjoying it a lot so far.

Advertisement