Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chances of getting sponsorship

Options
  • 02-12-2017 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm planning to move to Western Australia at the end of the month. I'm going on a tourist visa with the hope of finding someone to sponsor me. I have used up my 1 year WHV and I can't get another one since I've turned 31. However, I have a Bachelors and I have about 6 years experience in security work.
    What are the chances of getting sponsored? As you can see, I have no skilled work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

believe me it's not easy there now you will need to be very very lucky to get somewhere to sponsor, with your experience you will struggle unless your degree is in a profession that is in hugh demand and lack of ozzys that dont have it.

Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Depends what you bachelors is in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

Law

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Fake News wrote: »
    Law

You need to be give an employer a reason as to why they should sponsor you rather than an Australian citizen or permanent resident. If you have no experience relevant to your degree then forget about it until you have gained some experience...and then when you get that do yourself a favour and forget about sponsorship and go straight for permanent residency.
    Just to add, you will not get sponsorship in security either as it is not on the list of occupations eligible for sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Its also worth remembering you are not allowed to actively seek work while on a holiday visa in Australia. If customs/immigration stop you and see CV's or work related stuff they may refuse you entry. If you are caught while looking for work, while highly unlikely then you'll lose your holiday visa, and possibly have a ban on entering Australia for a period of time and have all that on your record for future entry or visa applications.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

pete4130 wrote: »
    Its also worth remembering you are not allowed to actively seek work while on a holiday visa in Australia. If customs/immigration stop you and see CV's or work related stuff they may refuse you entry. If you are caught while looking for work, while highly unlikely then you'll lose your holiday visa, and possibly have a ban on entering Australia for a period of time and have all that on your record for future entry or visa applications.

Surely if you state on a CV that you require 457 sponsorship then that would be ok as your being fully transparent . I mean getting sponsorship is difficult enough but trying to get it whilst still in Ireland is nigh on impossible. Surely the best bet is to do a skills assessment and come to Aus and proactively look for sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Surely if you state on a CV that you require 457 sponsorship then that would be ok as your being fully transparent . I mean getting sponsorship is difficult enough but trying to get it whilst still in Ireland is nigh on impossible. Surely the best bet is to do a skills assessment and come to Aus and proactively look for sponsorship

No, you can't come to Australia on a tourist visa with the intention to find work.
    Your only legal option is to apply for permanent residency from Ireland if your occupation is on the skilled occupation list and you satisfy the points requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As I've already said, a tourist visa is for being a tourist, not to actively seek work. Looking for work on a tourist visa is not permitted.

As for getting the OP's law degree recognised for skills assessment, its highly likely they will not have sufficient CPD (continuous professional development) for their skills to be relevant and the assessing body will most likely refuse to acknowledge them until the OP gets 12 months work relating to their degree or does further studies to obtain the necessary CPD.

A uni friend of mine is currently doing 12 months work back in Ireland relating to their degree because they have been out of the industry for 10 years and the assessing body absolutely will not acknowledge their degrees until they gain enough CPD.

Another thing to remember is that with immigration and visa applications. You are required to detail every country you have visited for the past 10 years and the purpose of visiting. It's going to be obvious to your immigration case officer if you happen to get sponsored while on a tourist visa. This will result in being in breach of your tourist visa and possibly affect any future visa applications and possibly a 3 year ban from Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

punk_one82 wrote: »
    No, you can't come to Australia on a tourist visa with the intention to find work.
    Your only legal option is to apply for permanent residency from Ireland if your occupation is on the skilled occupation list and you satisfy the points requirements.

Thats for a subclass 189 or a state sponsored 190 but if your occupation doesn't qualify for either of these visas your only other option is 457

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Thats for a subclass 189 or a state sponsored 190 but if your occupation doesn't qualify for either of these visas your only other option is 457

If its still around by the time you find someone to sponsor you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement