Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Channel: The World's Busiest Waterway

Options
  • 30-11-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Had a watch off this last night. Its on Channel 4 on Wed nights. 4 episodes, first one aired last night. Not a bad show and worth a watch.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Brought back many bad memories from my time working on ferries. :pac:

I thought it spoke volumes about the quality of the officers on the container ship that they employed a deep sea pilot to get them up the channel and beyond to Hamburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Brought back many bad memories from my time working on ferries. :pac:

I thought it spoke volumes about the quality of the officers on the container ship that they employed a deep sea pilot to get them up the channel and beyond to Hamburg.

Yes I always thought you would only get the pilot a few miles outside an unfamiliar or challenging port to bring the ship in. Would it be a private company that would supply the pilot, any ideas of the cost that would be involved for such a trip? I suppose for insurance reasons they would need a pilot with a ship of that expense.

Watched it last night, was good, will watch the rest of the series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.dscp.net/

We took them onboard once after going up through a very busy channel and having to cross the TSS with all the traffic heading west out of the Netherlands & Germany. Took on two Danish lads who did very little on our passage into the Baltic, seem to remember it was due to our 14m draught and the shallow waters there. Didn't get them on the way out though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Tabnabs wrote: »

I disagree. I thought it spoke volumes about the company. Where many are cutting costs right left and centre, they went to the expense of employing the services of a Pilot where not strictly necessary in order to mitigate the risks of transiting in one of the worlds biggest ships.

In doing so, the likelihood is that it relieved the burden on the Master and allowed him comply with the Hours of Work requirement where he otherwise may not have been able to. That's commendable imo.

There was were two ships featured in the program; one which employed a pilot where not strictly necessary and another which didn't. It wasn't the Piloted ship that ended up with a hole in the side!

For clarity, I've transited the channel more times than I care to remember and have never done so with a Pilot.

Advertisement