Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverchapel/Courtown local bus services

Options
  • 24-11-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Had a chat today with the manager of Wexford Local Link who said they would be open to improving bus services from Riverchapel/Courtown to Gorey if demand is there. The plan would be to cater for commuters on early morning bus services to Dublin e.g 07.30 Wexford Bus, 07.50 BE bus and services from Dublin leaving c. 17.30-1830. times are not set in stone and can be altered to suit demand. They are also open to providing a mid morning service for shopping/doctor appointments etc.
    As this service is dependent on public interest, if you, or anybody you know in the area, would be interested then all you need to do is contact Local Link and express your interest and what times you would be interested in travelling. This is an opportunity to get a reliable and user friendly public transport service in the area which will greatly improve on the existing one. Local Link will accept DSP Free Travel Passes
    If you PM me I will pass on the details of who to contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

This would be a very welcome development for both commuters/locals and visitors alike to augment the rather limited service currently provided by routes 379 & 879. The only point I'd make is that these Local Link buses would need to be linking in with the rail service too (at Gorey) as well as the commercial bus routes. The rail service sees good usage plus serves locations along the line that the buses from Gorey don't serve (without cumbersome changes) e.g. Wicklow/ Bray/Dún Laoghaire/ Rosslare. There is also a dedicated stopping place down at the station to facilitate a bus.

Back in 2012 a suggestion was made to the NTA with a view to extending Bus Éireann route 384 (now the 133/X) to/from Courtown but it didn't come to anything (06.50 ex Gorey/ 17.45 back ex Busáras).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Geog1234 wrote: »
    This would be a very welcome development for both commuters/locals and visitors alike to augment the rather limited service currently provided by routes 379 & 879. The only point I'd make is that these Local Link buses would need to be linking in with the rail service too (at Gorey) as well as the commercial bus routes. The rail service sees good usage plus serves locations along the line that the buses from Gorey don't serve (without cumbersome changes) e.g. Wicklow/ Bray/Dún Laoghaire/ Rosslare. There is also a dedicated stopping place down at the station to facilitate a bus.

Back in 2012 a suggestion was made to the NTA with a view to extending Bus Éireann route 384 (now the 133/X) to/from Courtown but it didn't come to anything (06.50 ex Gorey/ 17.45 back ex Busáras).

As I said, nothing is set in stone, the provision of a service is dependent on demand and to be honest the bar is quite low with regard to numbers. If enough people express interest in serving Gorey Rail Station at certain times, then that service will be provided but they need to know where and when the service will be most used in order to work out the logistics, seek funding etc.
    I was quite surprised at the positive attitude expressed by Local Link and I must say I'm disappointed at the response from this forum where the lack of a regular bus service in the area has often been criticised.
    I'll just repeat: If anybody is interested in this venture then all that is required is to PM me and I will provide an email address where you can contact Local Link and state your preferences. It really is a simple process and I fear that if local people don't take up the baton and run with it now, when it is being put on a plate for them, then it will be very difficult to make the case in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Wexford Local Link are currently conducting a commuter survey for the Courtown/Riverchapel/Ballymoney areas which can be accessed at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2Z9VJMT

Advertisement