Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium Radiators

• 19-11-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have any recent experience using aluminium radiators? I thinking of using an air to water heat pump with underfloor heating downstairs and aluminium radiators upstairs in my new build.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Hey,

Just came across this post - what did you end up going with in the end. Did you do UF downstairs and radiators upstairs with the head pump.

Im hoping to start a new build in the next few months and have heard from others that UF upstairs is a waste if the house is well insulated.

Also, debating between concrete slab or joists upstairs (trying to save money in the never ending price increases)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I think this has been discussed previously in other posts with different views. Personally, we have UFH downstairs and metal rads upstairs with traditional joists as we extended and it didn't make sense to have half upstairs with joists and the other half concrete slab. I know if I was building from scratch, I would go for concrete slab without a doubt. As we were finishing our build the difference between joists and slab was only a few thousand in March 2020.

In terms of heating upstairs, our rads upstairs are rarely on as the house is so warm the upstairs thermostat does not kick in. UFH downstairs is brilliant, we are almost a shorts and t-shirt house even though it is the middle of winter. I did spend a lot on insulation and it was one area I didn't skim on cost wise and really delighted now with that decision.

I was going to go for aluminium rads for aesthetic reasons but there was some miscommunication with builder and normal type rads were installed. Just let that one slide, apparently metal rads hold the head slightly longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭clonagh

I went with UFH downstairs and aluminium rads upstairs with open web timber joists. Like ec_pc said, the rads rarely come on upstairs.

Advertisement