Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROG to coach the Crusaders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Did Zebo leaving get its own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to him. He's building up some great experience and at some stage he's going to be back coaching here once all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Fantastic move for him if true. He's doing a fine apprenticeship before coming back to Ireland. Could spend a long time as Munster/Ireland coach if all this works out.

But the big step will be taking a head coach role I think. You'd wonder where that'll happen first.

• Looking forward to the tearful documentary on French TV about this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Who’s providing the translation? Tat tick Cork accent in NZ...

I suppose Ollie Jager could come in handy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

He has a contract with Racing until 2019. Is he leaving it early or moving in 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m bloody delighted for him. If he’s good enough for crusaders, he’s good enough for a role at Munster now too. But he’s choosing to build up a big range of experience before coming home. He’ll be a bloody dangerous coach when/if he returns home.

Happy for him and Munster and Ireland, Presuming he will eventually return home and coach Munster and Ireland if all goes to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Who’s providing the translation? Tat tick Cork accent in NZ...

I suppose Ollie Jager could come in handy there.

First time ROG has been accused of having a Cork accent.

Good move for him.

First time ROG has been accused of having a Cork accent.

Good move for him.

Whatever. “Munster” accent and difficult for kiwis to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Winters wrote: »
    He has a contract with Racing until 2019. Is he leaving it early or moving in 2019?
    Yep. If there's talk at this early stage of him leaving, you'd have to suspect that he's ending his contract with Racing early. Probably a season early.

Ronan O'Gara signs new contract

It's possible that the last year of that contract was optional. That's often the case with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is glorious! This one goes out to all the people out there who have had to listen to that antipodean spiel about how different the kiwi and the aussie accent is!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is glorious! This one goes out to all the people out there who have had to listen to that antipodean spiel about how different the kiwi and the aussie accent is!

Bet et es.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can't help but think this a "oh look new Munster coach, let's try and get home" tactic from ROG.

Don't get me wrong the Crusaders would be a brilliant option for him , but I think there's a game of poker going on here too.

What day are the Dolphins playing this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

First thing I thought of was Miami dolphins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

razorblunt wrote: »
    I can't help but think this a "oh look new Munster coach, let's try and get home" tactic from ROG.

Don't get me wrong the Crusaders would be a brilliant option for him , but I think there's a game of poker going on here too.

What day are the Dolphins playing this weekend?

Yes and no. Assistant head coach would be a step up from defence coach which is where he's at with Racing, so he's climbing the ladder and also getting to work in a completely different environment with one of the top teams in the southern hemisphere.

Nothing's confirmed though it's all rumours so it could indeed just be a negotiation tactic to make a move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well I hope this is true. If it is, he is building a great career for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

All Irish accents are similar to anyone outside UK and Ireland, sweetheart. :)

• zetalambda wrote: »
    All Irish accents are the same to anyone outside UK and Ireland, sweetheart. :)

Not true. Spent a good bit of time abroad including a two year stay in the east coast of the states. Had a lad there with a Dublin accent and another with a strong country accent and I have a thick D4 lilt. Yanks thought we all sounded very different and couldn't grasp how close we all lived to each other despite having very different accent.

I was the easiest to understand obv's, but I think that had a good bit to do with the amount of sense I talk also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Not true. Spent a good bit of time abroad including a two year stay in the east coast of the states. Had a lad there with a Dublin accent and another with a strong country accent and I have a thick D4 lilt. Yanks thought we all sounded very different and couldn't grasp how close we all lived to each other despite having very different accent.

I was the easiest to understand obv's, but I think that had a good bit to do with the amount of sense I talk also.

Yeah, you're right so I've edited that post accordingly. ;) You're implying that it's a class thing? Still makes snowflakes post about Kiwis not able to understand Cork or Munster accent invalid. What i was getting at too is that the vast majority of people outside Ireland and UK would have no idea which part of the country an Irish accent is from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

My mate's dad came over to coach in Cork in the late 90s. I think it was at Dolphins. He said he needed someone to translate for him when some of the players spoke. And vice versa.

zetalambda wrote: »
    All Irish accents are similar to anyone outside UK and Ireland, sweetheart. :)

I can pick Belfast vs Dublin vs elsewhere but picking what street ROG grew up in is a step too far...

Anyways, as someone who actually IS from Crusaders territory I’m quite open to this possibility. ROG can bring Conor Murray with him while he’s at it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I can pick Belfast vs Dublin vs elsewhere but picking what street ROG grew up in is a step too far...

Anyways, as someone who actually IS from Crusaders territory I’m quite open to this possibility. ROG can bring Conor Murray with him while he’s at it please.

Surely there's an uncapped Irish number 9 he could bring as a project player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Surely there's an uncapped Irish number 9 he could bring as a project player.

Yer welcome to Duncan Williams. ;)

• zetalambda wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right so I've edited that post accordingly. ;) You're implying that it's a class thing? Still makes snowflakes post about Kiwis not able to understand Cork or Munster accent invalid. What i was getting at too is that the vast majority of people outside Ireland and UK would have no idea which part of the country an Irish accent is from.

No not a class thing at all. I was half joking with my post but you are right in that the yanks all thought we sounded Irish but that I had a very neutral accent where as the others were distinct in different ways. They couldn't tell that one was a 'city' Irish accent and one was a 'country' Irish accent just that they all sounded Irish but quite different and distinct within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Seems a strange move,does ROG even know anything about Northern Irish soccer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's a big difference between Paris and Christchurch.

Some good differences and some bad differences but either way for a family man there's a lot of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Have to agree with you buddy, D4 like you say and i find Galway easy to understand , but they dont sound similar and then throw in Cork, Kerry and the North :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There's a big difference between Paris and Christchurch.

Some good differences and some bad differences but either way for a family man there's a lot of them.

Hes hardly the first working professional with a family to move in such a situation
    I see it as trying to get a taste of the life he missed due to being a professional player, more freedom of movement as a coach

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oh yeah I know but as I said there's a big difference between the places.

I'm not sure if ChCh is rebuilt from the earthquakes yet and it's a lot more than a couple of hours away by plane too.

Advertisement