Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motherland - BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lucy Punch and Philomena Cunk are in it so I'm watching :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Worth watching the brilliant pilot from last year if possible before it starts..

Was on last week as it happens

Didn't quite hit the highs of the pilot but some very funny moments nonetheless.

"I didn't pay"
    "Cos he was racist?"
    "No he was rubbish! If I didn't pay people 'cos they're racist I wouldn't have satellite TV"

All 6 episodes are on iPlayer too so prime for a binge at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lot of funny bits, Diane Morgan in most of them. Little girl puking into the window made me laugh out my beer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I liked it. It's influences are pretty obvious, but most of the jokes hit the mark for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

really been enjoying this - it's admirably mean-spirited, all of the characters are jerks, and despite being about parenting they mostly don't show the kids at all so there's no cheap sentimentality.

Quite hard to detect Graham Linehan's influence in the writing though, it very unlike his previous shows (which were generally studio based and veered off into ridiculous scenarios on a regular basis).

Diane Morgan has real grown on me, I have to say. Lucy Punch may now only be my second favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's back.

Season two starts on BBC2 on Monday October 7th at 10pm.

• Advertisement

Great to see this back

Speaking of which Webb and Mitchell are coming "Back" in the next six months or so I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Great to see this back

Speaking of which Webb and Mitchell are coming "Back" in the next six months or so I think.

Excellent, first series of "Back" was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Christmas special will premiere on BBC 2 on Wednesday December 23rd at 9pm

^ Saw the ad for it this evening... it's been missed this year so great to see.

Also good to see a Christmas special actually at Christmas time.

It's been the habit in recent years to show a lot of Christmas specials a week or two in advance of Christmas.

3rd season of Motherland is on BBC 2 on Monday May 10th at 9pm

I'm re-watching series 2 at the moment actually I better watch the last 3 tomorrow! :eek:

Diane Morgan is really developing into a top comic actor. Her other series Mandy is constantly being used to plug 15 min gaps in the Covid effected schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Only seen about 4 episodes of Season 1 a couple of years back; and decided to restart again, as I've seen Anna Maxwell Martin in a few things over the years, and been impressed; coming at it again, I gotta say, she is fantastic in this. 1st episode is manic, and relentlessly cringeworthy, but looking forward to her acting. Her expressions and deliveries are priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I'm re-watching series 2 at the moment actually I better watch the last 3 tomorrow! :eek:

Diane Morgan is really developing into a top comic actor. Her other series Mandy is constantly being used to plug 15 min gaps in the Covid effected schedule.
    Diane Morgan is hilarious. Love her in Wipe, Afterlife, Mandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Meeoow wrote: »
    Diane Morgan is hilarious. Love her in Wipe, Afterlife, Mandy.
    I wish they would make another series of Mandy. It was one of the funniest and silliest shows in ages.

I'll stock up on Mini-Rolls just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I never copped that series 3 of motherland started last night.. :(
    It’s a great show I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wish they would make another series of Mandy. It was one of the funniest and silliest shows in ages.

I'll stock up on Mini-Rolls just in case :D
    It is delightfully bonkers.
    I watched the episode in the banana factory again recently lol

Anna Maxwell Martin was the star last night, the news of her mothers impending permanent staycation was brilliantly handled.

The Nits-Covid stuff was absolutely

Did notice Graham Linehan's wife is now using her maiden name - Seranofiwicz?

Basq wrote: »
    The Nits-Covid stuff was absolutely

Did notice Graham Linehan's wife is now using her maiden name - Seranofiwicz?
    yep I think so they split up a while back (serafinowicz).

He co-created it with his wife, Holly Walsh and Sharon Horgan but don't think he has wrote for it since series 1, don't think he is involved really any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Anyone know where I could watch last nights episode. Thanks.

Blingy wrote: »
    New series is on BBC iplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Binged season 1 and 2 on Netflix, loved it.

Season 3 is no where near as good.

Blingy wrote: »

If you didn't get it elsewhere BBC4 are repeating the third series starting next Tuesday (very late at night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

brian_t wrote: »
    If you didn't get it elsewhere BBC4 are repeating the third series starting next Tuesday (very late at night).

Thanks I missed the first episode so I’m delighted you catch up. Recently watched series 2 it’s just so good. But for me series one was the best

Advertisement