Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any descendants of Mannix Family from Cloustogue

Options
  • 03-11-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello, I am trying to find some relatives of mine, who would be descendants from the Mannix Family of Cloustogue, Doneraile, Co Cork : Dennis Mannix (1844-1892) and Ellen Murphy (1841-1925)

Their children were
    Mary Mannix, 17 Oct 1869
    Daniel Mannix, 7 Jul 1872 married Catherine Ives in 1921 in Mallow
    Hannah Mannix, 12 Apr 1875 married Edward Harrington in USA
    Edmond Mannix, 14 Oct 1877
    Catherine Mannix, 29 Sep 1878
    Ellen Mannix, 29 Sep 1878
    Margaret Mannix, 23 May 1881
    Bridget Mannix, 10 Oct 1884
    Agnes Mannix abt 1887 emigrated to USA

In particular I am trying to find out if any of them ended up in Dublin. (I'm a dub myself, and am trying to work out which of them I am related to. Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Did you post in a Dun Laoghaire Facebook group or is this just some mad coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Yes, that is me. I am trying to establish if there is a link between them (The Mannix family from Cloustogue and a Mannix family in Dun Laoghaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I know there's a Liam Mannix (wife's cousin) leasing a pub in Rathcormac Cork ..think its called Barry's, that's not a long way from Doneraile. Lot of Mannix's in that area Bartlemy/Fermoy... my wife's mam was a Mannix from there.....If that's any help for ya ? I don't do facebook but I know her cousins, all Mannix's are on facebook. PM if you want and I can check it out when I get home from sea next month !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Think of the maths. Given that the mean length of 'a generation' as c.25 years, there has been enough time for 5-6 generations from the dates you listed above. That means that any of those people listed who had children would be the great-great-great-great-grandparents of potentially thousands (given the large nature of Irish families up until the 1970s) of direct descendants.

Each of those descendants could trace their pedigree back to either 32 or 64 ancestors of that era in the 'Mannix' line. And each of those ancestors would only be half the story.

Short answer: You're probably related to all of them.

Irrelevant aside: Family trees are funny.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are still Mannixes in Buttevant.Do a google...

• Advertisement
Advertisement