Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda

Options
  • 30-10-2017 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

New to boards.ie. today I was caught speeding (I know I did wrong!! ). I was driving along behind a car. The speed camera was on a tripod on a corner. The garda pulled in the car in front of me then waved them on when they saw me and waved me in. I was confused as to why we both weren't pulled in. I am young girl driving a big car I only bought recently and feel if I was driving my old car he would not have stopped me as I was not doing much over the limit.
    I was also going through a checkpoint the other day and the garda took so long to wave me on and walked around the car looking into it. Do other people get this in bigger cars never had problems with guards in other cars.. I am starting to feel intimidated by the guards at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You've already posted about this earlier. You were speeding, you were caught. As for intimidation, you're not young black man in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 K987

mordeith wrote: »
    You've already posted about this earlier. You were speeding, you were caught. As for intimidation, you're not young black man in the States.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You're going. You're driving a big cat (your words). You're speeding.
    Maybe the Gardai think that if they do something to make you see sense now maybe the emergency services won't be scraping you off the road some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You were speeding, you are young, you are in a big car. You tick all the boxes for road deaths. The Gardai will target that profile rather than the more mature (and often worse) driver.
    However I think if you slow down, wear your seatbelt, have a current tax disc you will get by ok.
    I would say that more people get warnings than tickets but at the same time the Guard has to have some names in his notebook when he/she goes back to the Sergeant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

K987 wrote: »
    driving a big car I only bought recently

Maybe he liked the car and was just having a look? Maybe he was inspecting a car at random? Maybe he has to do that every now and again so his superior thinks he's paying attention? Maybe you think you've a lovely big car but he sees a thousand of them a day....

I do sympathise with you though - I've heard of that 'car not in front' getting pulled before and it's always sounded dodgy to me; isn't the Garda supposed to clock what speed you're doing? Not the car in front of you? If you're really concerned, do some better googling and you might find some advice from someone in a similar situation, ask a friendly Garda if you know one, or you could always seek legal advice. I suspect there's not much you can do, but options 1 and 2 above are free at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement