Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm both surprised and not surprised if that makes sense? I'm not surprised because not many NBA players want to live in Minny in the winter. I am surprised however given the Thibs connection as I thought they were closer than they obviously are. I'm also surprised there's no mention of the Lakers, or to a lesser degree, Boston. I heard both NY teams mentioned earlier this week on a pod (might have been Dunc'd On?) but the Clippers is a bit left field - esp. when you consider no mention of the Lakers. Looks like Jerry West was busy this summer.....(Butler lives in LA in the summer).

On Butler though, while I'm sure someone will overpay/overtrade for him, I'm not sure how much real value there is left in him given his age, injury history etc.

Separately on the Clippers, the Lee Jenkins signing to a made up title from Sports Illustrated is certainly out there........come to the Clippers Kawhi and Lee will build your brand for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Knicks would make plenty of sense for his own personal brand. Being the man in New York is worth a lot, wins and losses aside

Minnesota looking to trade Butler "within days". Cavs apparently have had talks with them, though no details of who's on the table.

In potentially NBA landscape-changing news, Anthony Davis signs with Clutch.....now we'll have 6-24months of "AD to LA" talk......:rolleyes:

In NBA with a tedious Irish angle news: Joel Embiid has been banging the lead singer of The Script's gf (now ex-gf) for a while. Allegedly. Well not allegedly, it's in the news.

Butler's likely landing points are the Clippers and the Raptors apparently. Raptors would be pretty loaded if they get him and don't give away too much to get him. Still see Boston as the favourites in the East though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Any chance of renaming the thread Mods? Just take out 2017-18?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

kmart6 wrote: »
    Any chance of renaming the thread Mods? Just take out 2017-18?

Or break off all posts from the day after the NBA finals into a thread called 2017-2018 Post Season.

Then start a new thread for the 2018-2019 season once it starts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Butler's likely landing points are the Clippers and the Raptors apparently. Raptors would be pretty loaded if they get him and don't give away too much to get him. Still see Boston as the favourites in the East though.

Raptors not a bad call. One year of awesome then either have two proper all stars or they can begin the rebuild
    I see Dragic getting linked to Phoneix though so id bet on Butler in Miami

Or break off all posts from the day after the NBA finals into a thread called 2017-2018 Post Season.

Then start a new thread for the 2018-2019 season once it starts.
    Don't think this will be hitting 10K over this season so could probably just leave the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I've been out of the nba loop all summer, just realised raptors traded derozen for Leonard and got Danny Green too, that's a nice improvement to the roster

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Don't think this will be hitting 10K over this season the next 3-4 seasons so could probably just leave the one.

FYP. :pac:

Haha, you're not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Related to the above, it's funny how much less interest there is in the NBA in comparison with the NFL over here in recent years.

I really think the fact that the NFL is on at such a better time for us to watch makes a huge difference. I love settling down on a Sunday to watch the nfl games but find myself mainly sticking to highlights for the majority of the NBA seasons with games on so late most of the time. Fantasy NFL has gotten more popular here too which has probably helped increase the NFL interest.

Any of ye do fantasy NBA Leagues actually? I do a bit of the daily ones on draftkings but haven't gotten involved in any season long draft leagues.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Related to the above, it's funny how much less interest there is in the NBA in comparison with the NFL over here in recent years.

I really think the fact that the NFL is on at such a better time for us to watch makes a huge difference. I love settling down on a Sunday to watch the nfl games but find myself mainly sticking to highlights for the majority of the NBA seasons with games on so late most of the time. Fantasy NFL has gotten more popular here too which has probably helped increase the NFL interest.

Any of ye do fantasy NBA Leagues actually? I do a bit of the daily ones on draftkings but haven't gotten involved in any season long draft leagues.

It's always been the way, and it's very strange on one level considering the interest in the sport in schools here where it's actually played and accessible. In many ways we're the perfect country for indoor sports like basketball but due to a variety of reasons - not least the incompetence of the IBA - and funding, facilities etc. Access to TV/viewing has always been a problem too but the timing as you mention is clearly an issue too. Not sure what the NBA can do about that though as their main market is the US and I can't see them changing schedules to suit relatively small audiences in Europe. If the London NBA team ever happens - and I can't see it myself for a long time for a variety of reasons - then it might change, but even that's a long way off.

It's always been the way, and it's very strange on one level considering the interest in the sport in schools here where it's actually played and accessible. In many ways we're the perfect country for indoor sports like basketball but due to a variety of reasons - not least the incompetence of the IBA - and funding, facilities etc. Access to TV/viewing has always been a problem too but the timing as you mention is clearly an issue too. Not sure what the NBA can do about that though as their main market is the US and I can't see them changing schedules to suit relatively small audiences in Europe. If the London NBA team ever happens - and I can't see it myself for a long time for a variety of reasons - then it might change, but even that's a long way off.

Yeah but I think the gap has grown a lot in the last few years. And will probably continue to grow too.

Yeah but I think the gap has grown a lot in the last few years. And will probably continue to grow too.

Totally agree. The NFL are really pushing the game overseas and with the Jaguars in talks to move to London that'll at least keep it in the spotlight in the UK up - whether that will happen or not in reality is another thing. The London games have been hugely successful, and as you rightly point out the timing (and the fact that the majority of the games are on Sundays) helps enormously too. The game in the US has issues (esp. at younger levels, concussion, domestic violence etc.) but I read recently that 77 of the Top 100 watched programmes on US TV last year were American Football games - that's astonishing really on many levels. I've been to a few college games, and I've also been to a few pro games' but while I like American Football, I love basketball.

The NBA have been talking for decades about Europe in various capacities (an NBA Europe League was mooted at one point, as has an actual team in London/Paris), but they've failed IMO in tacking what could be a huge market for them. They seem more interested in China right now from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Totally agree. The NFL are really pushing the game overseas and with the Jaguars in talks to move to London that'll at least keep it in the spotlight in the UK up - whether that will happen or not in reality is another thing. The London games have been hugely successful, and as you rightly point out the timing (and the fact that the majority of the games are on Sundays) helps enormously too. The game in the US has issues (esp. at younger levels, concussion, domestic violence etc.) but I read recently that 77 of the Top 100 watched programmes on US TV last year were American Football games - that's astonishing really on many levels. I've been to a few college games, and I've also been to a few pro games' but while I like American Football, I love basketball.

The NBA have been talking for decades about Europe in various capacities (an NBA Europe League was mooted at one point, as has an actual team in London/Paris), but they've failed IMO in tacking what could be a huge market for them. They seem more interested in China right now from what I can see.

NBA team in europe would hardly be feasible due to the sheer number of games and irregular schedule.At least with a potential NFL team in europe 1 game per week for 4 months would be a lot easier to organise and the travelling would not be too arduous.

BT sport not keeping it's NBA coverage and that it constantly has changed around from different broadcasters shows that the interest is clearly not quite as big as you would think it should be.Also there is a problem of how horrifically uncompetitive the NBA is compared to the NFL.You could name up to 10-12 teams that would have a decent chance of getting to the Superbowl each year whereas in the NBA it's about 4 teams at the very most in any season that are genuine contenders.An 82 game regular season plus playoffs to get to a very predictable finale is not quite as appetizing as 4-5 months of sheer mayhem that the NFL provides.

They put forward a good idea on the open floor a few weeks ago. Can't remember it exactly but involved having a midseason NBA tournament across Europe in place of a few of the usual regular season games. 82 regular season games is too much for me when so many teams are either v.likely or v.unlikely to ultimately make the playoffs. Replacing a few of these with a midseason type cup (like in soccer) would be a nice change of pace.

They put forward a good idea on the open floor a few weeks ago. Can't remember it exactly but involved having a midseason NBA tournament across Europe in place of a few of the usual regular season games. 82 regular season games is too much for me when so many teams are either v.likely or v.unlikely to ultimately make the playoffs. Replacing a few of these with a midseason type cup (like in soccer) would be a nice change of pace.

They also suggested holding The Finals in Europe. Americans would lose their sh*t if that happened, and rightly so if you're a fan of the teams involved.

The secondary competition is great in theory but I cant see it working, certainly not anytime after Christmas (Play Off run it). You'd have teams resting players (stars) for the travel as much as anything (look at how much Boston and Philly complained about the London game last year).

The All Star Game/Weekend on foreign soil would be a much better draw for both the League and Europe/ROW IMO. You'd have the stars (not crap teams like has happened a lot) and the associated extra events would make it a bigger deal. Seems like the best option to me and the one that should in theory be easiest to organise as you're talking individuals rather than full teams (obviously the rest of the circus stays mostly the same) but the PR of having the 20 best players in the world in say London v The Hawks v Sacramento are worlds apart.

Still can't believe the Butler trade hasn't happened yet.:rolleyes:

On another note, there's a 20 hour documentary (and accompanying book) entitled "Basketball: A Love Story" coming out on US TV this month. The advance reviews are universally excellent, and it's going to be relatively difficult to see this side of the water but just a heads up for those who may be interested in watching it.

• Advertisement

Ryan McDonough fired in Phoenix. Open Floor guys will have a field day with this one. Right move, awful timing with the season starting next week.

Dejounte Murray tears ACL when all pre-season reports had him "on fire". Sucks for him and the Spurs, really puts their over win total bet I made last week in doubt. Great.

And speaking of gambling, Dallas appoint Bob Voulgaris to an analytics role. Bizarre on many levels. The guy is essentially a professional gambler. He's a very good analyst/commentator on the game though in fairness. He's been on a lot of pods (Simmons especially) and his analysis is almost always excellent. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Not that it matters much to me as I have Pass at a great rate, but do we have any idea what the UK/IRL broadcasting rights are for the new season are yet?

Nothing agreed/announced. Rumour has been 11 Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This saga is incredible.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050099591226552320
    All-Star Jimmy Butler participated in Minnesota's practice, a session that included him verbally challenging teammates, coaches and front office, league sources told ESPN. Butler was vociferous and emotional at times, targeting Thibodeau/Layden/Towns/Wiggins. Story soon on ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050102251262480386
    At one point in a scrimmage, sources said, Butler turned to GM Scott Layden and screamed, "You (bleeping) need me. You can't win without me." Butler left teammates and coaches largely speechless. He dominated the gym in every way. Jimmy's back.

Some of the twitter comments are hilarious....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

At the Wizards open day recently which was a great opportunity to get into the home dressing room and roam the court. Thought the dressing room was smaller than expected! Anyway hoping for a better season this year!

IMG-2311.jpg

IMG-2317.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

I’m in DC in Feb so gonna catch games v Hawks and v Cavs. Had hoped I’d be lucky and get the Celtics again or better again Warriors or Lakers but happy to get 2 games in regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What are ye using to buy tickets from Ireland these days? Specifically looking to buy Knicks tickets for next month. Would love to use SeatGeek from here but alas. Any suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    What are ye using to buy tickets from Ireland these days? Specifically looking to buy Knicks tickets for next month. Would love to use SeatGeek from here but alas. Any suggestions appreciated

It's almost 4 years since I was at an NBA game ( Celtics v Cavs in Boston) & pretty sure I used Ticketbastard. com . There's also StubHub as well. I know that the Celtics app allows one to buy individual game tickets too. Try the Knicks app, assuming there is one.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Stubhub, Seatgeek etc should be your last port of call as they’re resellers. Ticketmaster first - always.

I’ve said this before on here but if you’re looking for just one (I travelled a lot with work) then it’s always worth chancing your arm walking up and trying to buy one at the door or from someone with a spare. Likewise 2. Any more than that though and it’s unreliable if you’re trying to sit together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement