Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best traditional pub with great guinness Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

AnneFrank and L1011, let's keep the discussion to the pubs and not their clientele's perceived socioeconomic status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

That was my point Oblivious, i never mentioned class at all, or disgust, it was by no means reverse snobbery,
    frankly i find the accusation bizarre.
    My post was for traditional pubs with traditional drinks, for which i've had some great replies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

AnneFrank wrote: »
    That was my point Oblivious, i never mentioned class at all, or disgust, it was by no means reverse snobbery,
    frankly i find the accusation bizarre.
    My post was for traditional pubs with traditional drinks, for which i've had some great replies

Why are you against pubs offering choice for people who like different beer to you?
    Is that such a difficult question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The quality of Guinness most definitely varies from pub to pub. I recently attended a wedding and the pints were absolutely awful in the hotel bar, wasn't even going to try them in the function room. I spent my night crossing the Main Street with cash in hand and crossing back with pint in hand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Draught Guinness is bland OP, so many superior stouts available now in Ireland, try Wrasslers stout in The Porterhouse pubs for example, and you'll never go back to Guinness. No "hipsters" in those pubs if that bothers you so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

The Palace - Fleet St, always enjoyed the Guinness in there and traditional and quietens down mid week during the winter.

Boars Head on Capel Street another one that does a decent pint and sounds like what you are looking for.

The Piper's Corner on Marlborough Street, Guinness is OK, but loads of live music every night and not many tourists, a black board of craft beers also, but doesn't seem to attract the hipster crowd (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hipsters and beer nerds are two totally different types of people. Hipsters drink Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

RasTa wrote: »
    Hipsters and beer nerds are two totally different types of people. Hipsters drink Heineken.

Sure look at a pub like Grogans. Traditional, manky looking pub but overran with hipsters. They're certainly not there for the craft beer offering anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

AnneFrank wrote: »
    That's what Guinness will tell you, and they send people around the pubs to clean the pipes ect, but in reality it's not that simple, there is other factors involved.
    Distance guinness travels to the pipes from the cellar, how much guinness is getting pumped through, or is it not used much or how new/old is the equipment used. I wish it was all the same, but trust me it's not. Someone above mentioned Mulligans in Dublin, and that is the best pint i've had up here by a mile, funnily enough, Edmonstown golf club has an amazing pint, the blue light, and then awful pints in the portobello or mother reilly's in rathmines

This is something I'll never understand. Why does this not affect other beers the same way.

Also,
    If a new drink came out that was apparently so inconsistent that the quality varied drastically in every pub, even in different taps in the same pub would it survive? Would people keep drinking it so that on occasion they can say "Ah, that's a lovely pint of x", but then complain about it in a lot of other places?
    If a car manufacturer released a car that whose quality varied depending on where it was bought would it survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

While I understand that some people have no interest in craft beer, even to the point of refusing to taste it but why, oh why would 'no craft beer' be a criteria for a good pub for anyone?

It's like refusing to go to a restaurant because they have a vegetarian option on the menu.

TBH I think the general point the OP is getting across is that he just wants a good old fashioned pub with no fancy ****.

• Advertisement

https://www.9whitedeer.ie/lon-dubh/

This stuff is great. I know the Cobblestone has it in Smithfield.

The quality of Guinness most definitely varies from pub to pub. I recently attended a wedding and the pints were absolutely awful in the hotel bar, wasn't even going to try them in the function room. I spent my night crossing the Main Street with cash in hand and crossing back with pint in hand :pac:

No doubt you returned the glasses...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If a new drink came out that was apparently so inconsistent that the quality varied drastically in every pub, even in different taps in the same pub would it survive? Would people keep drinking it so that on occasion they can say "Ah, that's a lovely pint of x", but then complain about it in a lot of other places?
    If a car manufacturer released a car that whose quality varied depending on where it was bought would it survive?

You could say the same about eating a steak in restaurants, or fresh v frozen, the ingredient is one only part of the quality equation.

Wine closed with a cork leads to losses from cork spoilage... but wine is not going to age in the bottle without a cork. If the wine bottle isn't stored properly, the cork can dry out etc, or if it's left in conditions too hot or too cold or too much light, the quality is affected.
    It's a living thing. It needs more care and attention and it is vulnerable to conditions \ less robust but people seem to be willing to pay a premium \ take the chance.
    I suppose the difference is that if you taste a corked wine, it is the restaurant's responsibility and they will replace it for you ...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you want a traditional pub it sounds like you should go to somewhere decent in Belgium. No TVs, no luminous frozen beer taps, no super chilled stout, no alcopops in the fridge. Most "old man" bars in Ireland are very untraditional from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

The Yacht in Ringsend. Good Company, Good Beer, and €4 all pints before 5 weekdays. Whats not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You could say the same about eating a steak in restaurants, or fresh v frozen, the ingredient is one only part of the quality equation.

Wine closed with a cork leads to losses from cork spoilage... but wine is not going to age in the bottle without a cork. If the wine bottle isn't stored properly, the cork can dry out etc, or if it's left in conditions too hot or too cold or too much light, the quality is affected.
    It's a living thing. It needs more care and attention and it is vulnerable to conditions \ less robust but people seem to be willing to pay a premium \ take the chance.
    I suppose the difference is that if you taste a corked wine, it is the restaurant's responsibility and they will replace it for you ...

Your pint of Guinness is most certainly not a living thing.

Cask beer (the way Guinness was sold up until the 60s) is a living thing and continues to ferment in the barrell. Guinness nowadays is a pasteurised kegged beer and is no different from Budweiser in how consistent it is due to the process that it is produced. You don't hear every Joe, Mick and Harry down the local talking about the pub that serves the best pint of Budweiser in the town.

With cask Guinness, like with any other cask beer, the quality would often differ dependent on the pub you were in due to how they looked after the beer, the good run on the beer (due to a much more limited shelf life vs Keg) and the mix between the two pours etc. A conversation up until the 60s about the place doing good Guinness was very relevant then and the way people talk about Guinness has just carried forward over the years, despite how the drink is now produced and served. Guinness themselves do nothing to try and dissuade people from discussing the beer like this because it all creates to serve a mystique around it – ie their quality team driving around in their well advertised van. Plus it gives men a reason to talk s***e while sitting in the pub.

None of this is to say you can't get an actual bad pint (I'd one a few months back in a hotel bar in Bray that only opened once a week between 9-11pm on a Saturday night) it's just quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Well said, draught Guinness is the same as all other industrial beers, the difference is in people's imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your pint of Guinness is most certainly not a living thing. Cask beer (the way Guinness was sold up until the 60s) is a living thing and continues to ferment in the barrell. Guinness nowadays is a pasteurised kegged beer.

So what you are saying is... they killed Guinness?

I had thought Guinness in Ireland wasn't pasteurised, apparently that was true only up to the 1990s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

odyssey06 wrote:
    I had thought Guinness in Ireland wasn't pasteurised, apparently that was true only up to the 1990s.

Nope, high pressure/temp fermented and pasteurised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Bowes on Fleet St does a very fine pint of Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Your pint of Guinness is most certainly not a living thing.

Cask beer (the way Guinness was sold up until the 60s) is a living thing and continues to ferment in the barrell. Guinness nowadays is a pasteurised kegged beer and is no different from Budweiser in how consistent it is due to the process that it is produced. You don't hear every Joe, Mick and Harry down the local talking about the pub that serves the best pint of Budweiser in the town.

With cask Guinness, like with any other cask beer, the quality would often differ dependent on the pub you were in due to how they looked after the beer, the good run on the beer (due to a much more limited shelf life vs Keg) and the mix between the two pours etc. A conversation up until the 60s about the place doing good Guinness was very relevant then and the way people talk about Guinness has just carried forward over the years, despite how the drink is now produced and served. Guinness themselves do nothing to try and dissuade people from discussing the beer like this because it all creates to serve a mystique around it – ie their quality team driving around in their well advertised van. Plus it gives men a reason to talk s***e while sitting in the pub.

None of this is to say you can't get an actual bad pint (I'd one a few months back in a hotel bar in Bray that only opened once a week between 9-11pm on a Saturday night) it's just quite rare.

Back in the day didn't bars used to bottle Guinness from casks themselves?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ipso wrote: »
    Back in the day didn't bars used to bottle Guinness from casks themselves?

Yes, pubs and regional bottlers did the bulk of the bottling for decades; they had their own named labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You don't hear every Joe, Mick and Harry down the local talking about the pub that serves the best pint of Budweiser in the town.

I don't know. Some years ago a friend of mine swore blind that some bars did better bottles of Heineken than others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there is a difference between Guinness and Budweiser etc and that is because Guinness is nitrogenated. Any time I've had a bad pint, it has seemed thin and watery with a poor head - that's presumably to do with the gas setup being less than optimal. The beer (liquid) itself is the same everywhere (unless they're serving from a keg that's been open for too long I guess, which is unlikely in most regular pubs) but the mouthfeel (which is more important with a stout than with a lager) does vary.

I'd agree with some of the earlier comments about it being blander than it was 20 years ago - it's definitely less bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

ShyMets wrote: »
    Bowes on Fleet St does a very fine pint of Guinness
    I noted the same a few years back.
    At least when I got mine, it was not as cold as whenever I would drink a Guinness at random venues. So I got a burst of flavour normally unavailable for my palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bowes, Fleet St
    The Auld Dubliner, Temple Bar
    The Long Hall, Georges St.
    Gravediggers, Glasnevin.
    Walshes / Tommy's, Stoneybatter

The best pints in Dublin at the moment.

Imagine thinking Guinness tastes the same everywhere. Lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If you want low key, no nonsense; just a good pint of Guinness, low key non-intrusive crowd, minimal fuss and chat from barman if not wanted then Hartigans on Leeson Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Slattsy wrote: »
    Bowes, Fleet St
    The Auld Dubliner, Temple Bar
    The Long Hall, Georges St.
    Gravediggers, Glasnevin.
    Walshes / Tommy's, Stoneybatter

The best pints in Dublin at the moment.

Imagine thinking Guinness tastes the same everywhere. Lolz

I’d put a big chunk of money on lots of other Dublin pubs in a blind taste test if you weren’t being influenced by the aesthetic of your surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Fallon's, the Coombe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

OnDraught wrote: »
    I’d put a big chunk of money on lots of other Dublin pubs in a blind taste test if you weren’t being influenced by the aesthetic of your surroundings.

Lol good chap.

Advertisement