Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best traditional pub with great guinness Dublin

• 09-10-2017 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

Hello, I live in the Rathmines area, and was wondering does anyone know of a great traditional pub nearby, by that i mean, a nice bar, not too big, hardly any tv's, or none, no hipsters, no craft beer, and great guinness ?
    I heard Oconnell's in portobello is good ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Hello, I live in the Rathmines area, and was wondering does anyone know of a great traditional pub nearby, by that i mean, a nice bar, not too big, hardly any tv's, or none, no hipsters, no craft beer, and great guinness ?

Slattery's

On your doorstep. Sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Long Hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

O’Connell’s is great but it’s wall to wall hipsters these days. Still a lovely pub midweek or Sundays. You’re also likely to catch the 9 o’clock news.

Cassidy’s on Camden Street is decent with live music on Sunday nights but it will be rammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I understand that some people have no interest in craft beer, even to the point of refusing to taste it but why, oh why would 'no craft beer' be a criteria for a good pub for anyone?

It's like refusing to go to a restaurant because they have a vegetarian option on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I do like Cassidy's alright i must go back there it's been awhile, but not a fan of Slattery's, which is a pity it's on my doorstep alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Go to Mulligans on Poolbeg st if you want the best Guinness. They have "craft" beer though so someone might offend you.

was in mulligans and you're right, amazing guinness.
    But was shocked a pub frequented by the Dubliners for music sessions,
    no longer allows a sing song, shocking stuff.
    More death of our culture

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's like refusing to go to a restaurant because they have a vegetarian option on the menu.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I didn't think Mulligans was ever a "music" pub, I used to drink there in the late 80s and it certainly wasn't then. Sure you're not getting mixed up with O'Donoghues on Merrion Row?

I wouldn't say not letting a few people sing out of tune in a pub equates to the "death of our culture"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dubliners never sang there, drank alright but tunes were never belted out in Mulligans.

You sure you are Irish or maybe not a Dub with these questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Fallon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

While I understand that some people have no interest in craft beer, even to the point of refusing to taste it but why, oh why would 'no craft beer' be a criteria for a good pub for anyone?

You can tell the man who craft boozes by the company he chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

elperello wrote: »
    You can tell the man who craft boozes by the company he chooses.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Puts me in mind of people I know that supposedly hate 'Craft' Beer and 'Beer Snobs' but themselves spend all of their time boring the hole off all and sundry with pseudo scientific guff about the (largely illusory) quality fluctuations of Guinness around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Strawberry Hall.....just bring cash

AGC wrote: »
    Strawberry Hall.....just bring cash

Excellent pub. Just a little awkward to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Puts me in mind of people I know that supposedly hate 'Craft' Beer and 'Beer Snobs' but themselves spend all of their time boring the hole off all and sundry with pseudo scientific guff about the (largely illusory) quality fluctuations of Guinness around the city.

Maybe you should just list which places you like... by a process of elimination the OP will know to steer clear of them... sounds like a random meeting between ye two is not in either party's interest!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

bit of a leap from my original post, we are allowed to like different things !
    thanks for all suggestions, some nice places to check out

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

O'Connells has a local craft beer (Rascals) on draft there aswell as fridge full of stuff.

Plus, if you go, drink Beamish instead (3 pints for 11 euro)

OP, why is 'no craft beer' a criteria for you?
    You don't have to drink it. What is the problem with offering choice to people who like different things to you.
    Serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gunness will be the same everywhere... I very recently thought Guinness was better in Dublin than anywhere else.... But have come to realise it's more about the surroundings... Guinness is the exact same in the old man pub in West Cork as it is in the nightclubs in any city...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

OP, why is 'no craft beer' a criteria for you?
    You don't have to drink it. What is the problem with offering choice to people who like different things to you.
    Serious question.

I can't speak for the OP, but I imagine it's more that he wants the "type" of bar that doesn't stock any craft.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I can't speak for the OP, but I imagine it's more that he wants the "type" of bar that doesn't stock any craft.

Ironically enough, the kind of central old school pubs we're presumably talking about, like Jerry O'Connells and the like, will have just as many affected types drinking in them as whatever 'type' of a bar you're supposedly avoiding.

Gunness will be the same everywhere... I very recently thought Guinness was better in Dublin than anywhere else.... But have come to realise it's more about the surroundings... Guinness is the exact same in the old man pub in West Cork as it is in the nightclubs in any city...

That's what Guinness will tell you, and they send people around the pubs to clean the pipes ect, but in reality it's not that simple, there is other factors involved.
    Distance guinness travels to the pipes from the cellar, how much guinness is getting pumped through, or is it not used much or how new/old is the equipment used. I wish it was all the same, but trust me it's not. Someone above mentioned Mulligans in Dublin, and that is the best pint i've had up here by a mile, funnily enough, Edmonstown golf club has an amazing pint, the blue light, and then awful pints in the portobello or mother reilly's in rathmines

Nothing wrong with the pints of Guinness in the Portobello. €4 as well.

OnDraught wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the pints of Guinness in the Portobello. €4 as well.

if you like black water then yes i guess they're grand

AnneFrank, you won't answer my question?
    I'm genuinely curious.

if you like black water then yes i guess they're grand

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Had 5 or 6 in there last Wednesday and there is no difference between the pint of Guinness there and a pint of Guinness in Mulligan’s, which I live very close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I haven't been out in that part of town for a while now but on a nice evening would any of these be in striking distance and worth a visit...
    - Hartigans on Leeson Street
    - O'Briens on Sussex Terrace
    - Waterloo at Baggot Street Bridge
    - Smyths on Haddington Road

Please alert me if the premises are now closed \ gone down hill... back in the day they were decidedly non craft beer places.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I haven't been out in that part of town for a while now but on a nice evening would any of these be in striking distance and worth a visit...
    - Hartigans on Leeson Street
    - O'Briens on Sussex Terrace
    - Waterloo at Baggot Street Bridge
    - Smyths on Haddington Road

Please alert me if the premises are now closed \ gone down hill... back in the day they were decidedly non craft beer places.

Back in the day, everywhere were decidedly non craft beer places.

Advertisement