Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

The Ritual

• 05-10-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk

New horror film out next Friday saw a preview tonight. Really solid little film well acted and pretty creepy.

Synopsis
    The Ritual (2017)

Anonymous
    A group of college friends reunite for a trip to the forest, but encounter a menacing presence in the woods that's stalking them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5638642/plotsummary?item=po2724431

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭ Mrcaramelchoc

The tag line at the end of the trailer is a bit unfortunate.
    " this year they should have gone to Vegas".
    Other than that it looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk

The tag line at the end of the trailer is a bit unfortunate.
    " this year they should have gone to Vegas".
    Other than that it looks ok.
    Ah indeed oops, in fairness it's a line in the film from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ macslash

Anyone see this? Decent opening 2/3's..didn't like the last half hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 pumpkin4life

First half = pretty damn good. The four lads are well cast, the tension builds up pretty heavy like, the dialogue is great with some funny lines here and there, there's a nice bit of Kubrick/Lynchian mindfuckery thrown in as well for good measure.

Second half = Sucks ass. Every silly horror cliche (tick the box for your favorite horror movie tribute scene!) under the sun is in there.

Two completely different films. But If you like horror movies, yeah, give it a go if you've nothing better to do.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yerwanthere123

Just watched this. As above, the first half/two-thirds is pretty decent, after that I was struggling to stay with it. It seems to be a relatively common theme in horror movies, they start well, they can't sustain the momentum and then they run out of ideas. It's a shame they introduced the little pagan cult, it was a fine movie before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭ Hector Savage

As said above, first half or more is really good.

Should have kept the pagan cult out of it, and not see the monster.

I thought it would have been a better film if everything happened as it did, but we never saw the monster in full - just slight movements that could have been in their heads and they all get out, and basically ... it was all in their heads - because i've been in those situations, in a forest at night - its amazing what tricks the mind can play on you ... really scary and I consider myself very rational when it comes to all that supernatural mumbo jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭ nix

Just watched this. As above, the first half/two-thirds is pretty decent, after that I was struggling to stay with it. It seems to be a relatively common theme in horror movies, they start well, they can't sustain the momentum and then they run out of ideas. It's a shame they introduced the little pagan cult, it was a fine movie before that.

Spoiler tags ffs

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yerwanthere123

nix wrote: »
    Spoiler tags ffs

It was screened in cinemas over four months ago, and it's now released on DVD. I think if you want to avoid spoilers then best avoid the thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭ nix

You can post an opinion without giving away major plot points, unless specified in the thread title, use spoiler tags, its common sense and the rules. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭ SimonTemplar

I agree with the consensus above. The first half was much stronger than the second half. I loved the design of the "menacing presence" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭ applehunter

Eastenders in the woods.

I really dislike the dialogue in this movie.

Another Netflix dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭ The White Wolf

Was just a vehicle for Rafe Spall to flex his acting muscles really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭ Homelander

I thought it was a good movie. First half is definitely stronger and genuinely creepy in an under-the-skin way which wears off towards the final act, but still a good watch overall. I can't imagine most horror fans wouldn't like it.

Advertisement