Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parthenaise cattle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Grueller wrote: »
    Never too young sure didn't we all start at 15 with harp and twenty Carroll's. Sure look where it got us.

Flaggins and naggins out back of the sports hall. 5 litre bottels of scrumpy jacks. Before Buckfast for breakfast became popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Grueller wrote: »
    Never too young sure didn't we all start at 15 with harp and twenty Carroll's. Sure look where it got us.

I could never smoke carrolls, whatever it was about them. Always benson here with a short stint on Marlboro red. The harp was great stuff, but could turn the quietest of a man angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Now back to cattle nice bums in all shades of color. Or charolais

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Have to say I love the parthenaise cattle. I'd have them over the blue cow any day. We've had blue cows for years and I think they're a ball of trouble. Never had one go longer than 3-4 calves. No good. It's early days so far for us with parthenaise but crossed with the lim bull they produce a hell of a calf for weaning, forward store or finisher sales. Bull calves haven't impressed me as much - they don't weigh as well compared with lim and that's AI vrs our stock bull on similar heifers/cows. 
    I do agree the char makes a great cross with whiteheads. I wouldn't get a parthenaise bull but very impressed with the heifers. Great, milky and muscle bound breeders. They have a good open pelvic area enabling them to calve with minimal fuss.
    As mentioned above they are a relatively new breed so I'd be reluctant to go too far down that route. My idea is to serve more of our first time heifers with parthenaise and compare that with the lim stock bull and AI lim

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

What attracted me to them was & I don't know if any of ye saw them at the ploughing but they had 2 crossbred heifers in the stand with part x calves. One was a shorthorn x heifer & her calf looked good, nice shape etc. Do many here have a parthneaise bull with there sucklers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would they be best crossed on taller cows to give a muscle & maternal injection?

Plenty of muscle as they are but a bit more frame and power is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I have to say they are great cattle. Sold one 2 months ago as a year and a half bullock for 1460 in Delvin.

Take. A limo and make them more muscled and lighter boned and you have a parthenaise essentially.

Try a few AI straws and see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Try a few AI straws and see how you get on

Which AI company would you recommend? ;)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

My experience is with PG bulls but as somebody that is now full time farming i suppose I have time to explore all of them.

If you have a mature cow to experiment on and you want a flashy animal give ZGH a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

My experience is with PG bulls but as somebody that is now full time farming i suppose I have time to explore all of them.

If you have a mature cow to experiment on and you want a flashy animal give ZGH a go

Bogman, do you use part bulls much? On what type of cows do you get the best results. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

The 2nd pic here is a part heifer calf off a BWH.

I sold the heifer as not in calf (bought her at three weeks old) and had to take her back when she started to spring down. She calved at 22 months - the smallest calf I have ever seen. She got caught by one of my pedigree part bull weanlings.

1st pic is part off ch cow pictured. The cows mother was an AA bucket fed calf I bought.

I am a big fan of part cattle, use all part straws now and trying to build up
    a few pedigrees.

Farmer Dan wrote: »

Bogman, do you use part bulls much? On what type of cows do you get the best results. Thanks

I use a fair bit of them. I've used them on BBxFR cows and had animals fit for showing but I've had some hard calvings from that cross too.
    Limos out of those cows seem to be the perfect dam for them.

Out of HEx stock I had great growthy animals that have finished well.

Like anything it depends on the market you're chasing

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Ive used BZB and ZGH the last few years. I've 3 BZB cows at the moment. I'd love more of them but I got a good few bulls. They sell well probably the same as lims. I will use at least 5 or 6 again this year hopefully.

The cows are good mothers that have calved on their own so far and seem to have milk. Here is a 5 year old BZB cow that calved a month ago with her ZAG calf. Its her fourth calf and she calved first at 23 months and has a CI of 349 days. If I could clone her I would.

429563.JPG

This is a newer one of the calf and shows the type of muscle that the parthenaise cow brings. She is a month old now.

429564.JPG

This is a ZGH bull from last year. He was from a AA cow.

429565.JPG

The problem can be colouring. Here are ZGH twins from a white charloais cow.

Heifer twin
    429567.JPG

Bull twin
    429566.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

croot wrote: »
    Ive used BZB and ZGH the last few years. I've 3 BZB cows at the moment. I'd love more of them but I got a good few bulls. They sell well probably the same as lims. I will use at least 5 or 6 again this year hopefully.

The cows are good mothers that have calved on their own so far and seem to have milk. Here is a 5 year old BZB cow that calved a month ago with her ZAG calf. Its her fourth calf and she calved first at 23 months and has a CI of 349 days. If I could clone her I would.

Nice stock there croot! How do you find the temperament of BZB. I have a lovely maiden heifer kept for breeding but she is a nervous wreck. Hope she settles a bit because she is to good to let go

See what you mean about the colour and that is true. While with the Lim or Ch you are limited to a few colors which all should work ok for any market the parth can throw up that tiger look and I'm not sure I like it. Seems to be the case with dairy type dams or angus. I'd think it would be fine for finishing but possibly not so much for weanling or store sales. 
    That's why I'd be against buying a bull but think they're a cracking breed for replacements to bring in a bit of muscle and milk when crossed back with ch or lim.
    Have any of you tried them on Sim cows? Be interesting to see what type of calves they produce.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Nice stock there croot! How do you find the temperament of BZB. I have a lovely maiden heifer kept for breeding but she is a nervous wreck. Hope she settles a bit because she is to good to let go
    The three I kept are from really quiet cows but were lively when younger alright. They are fine now. I sold three other lovely BZB heifers that were a bit mad. ZGH calves are pets.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    See what you mean about the colour and that is true. While with the Lim or Ch you are limited to a few colors which all should work ok for any market the parth can throw up that tiger look and I'm not sure I like it. Seems to be the case with dairy type dams or angus. I'd think it would be fine for finishing but possibly not so much for weanling or store sales. 
    That's why I'd be against buying a bull but think they're a cracking breed for replacements to bring in a bit of muscle and milk when crossed back with ch or lim.
    Have any of you tried them on Sim cows? Be interesting to see what type of calves they produce.
    Any one I had on an AA came black.

I like them as cows anyway. I’ve tried fiston on another BZB calving in February but thats the first charlaois I’ve tried on them. AI man said they are really roomy so hopefully no calving problems.

I’m down to only two sim cows and both of them are always AI’d to charlois so I don’t know what color you’d get.

Yep I'd agree with him on that. We have two both calve unaided to bulls that some of the lim cows have their fill of it with. Hmm be interesting to see. Just have the two sim cows ourselves and would be more likely to try the party on a maiden heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

IMG_20170930_191102.jpg

IMG_20170923_170850.jpg Sorry about the picture quality , a zgh bull at 6 1/2months, most cows here are charlaois and lim from dairy herd and find the part great to put a bit of quality into the calves, have some pt heifers from this cross and hope they make ideal replacements

• Advertisement

Not a thing wrong with those cattle! I'll try to get a couple of photos of our ones with PT breeding later on today. Giving heavy rain so it could be more a case of lash out meal and run back for the tractor!

Not sure what the quality of the picture is going to be like for you it's coming out massive on my comp but here's a pic of a lim x pt heifer's calf. She got bulled young on us and he ended up a side door job. She calved at maybe 450 kgs at 18/19 months but produced by far our best calf last year. He's around 14 months now. She is only around 520 kgs or so now but calved on her own. Really good calf but not quite as flashy yet anyhow, he's only a week or so.429705.jpg

There were a half a dozen in our local mart yesterday. Fella beside me asked me did I know who had as many jerseys! Weren't bad cattle, bad prices. Would make me have a bit of a rethink. Keeping heifers as replacements and finishing bullocks might be best boys in Mart don't like them. Sims bad trade too

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Have been trying to get a couple Parthenaise heifers via the AI this year and last year. Ended up with 2 bulls last year and 2 Bulls this Autumn as well.:(
    Ive pics below of this years 2 Bulls outta CH cows. Sired by ZGH 'Gonzo'
    410.jpg
    542.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

pure breed wrote: »
    Have been trying to get a couple Parthenaise heifers via the AI this year and last year. Ended up with 2 bulls last year and 2 Bulls this Autumn as well.:(
    Ive pics below of this years 2 Bulls outta CH cows. Sired by ZGH 'Gonzo'
    410.jpg
    542.JPG
    Nice outfit all the same.
    Those yellow CH are great cows, good colour there too

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Nice outfit all the same. Those yellow CH are great cows, good colour there too

Unfortunately the calves don't keep that colour, the PT Bull off same cow last year turned a brown/black colour(like Gonzo himself) after few months.

They seem to work alright with the continental type cow but I'm now wary of crossing with anything black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was 2 nice fawn coloured heifers in local Mart tonight, 320kg e820. If I wasn't locked up I would have had a stab at them. Looked really nice stock and I wouldn't have thought them dear at that.

Was 2 nice fawn coloured heifers in local Mart tonight, 320kg e820. If I wasn't locked up I would have had a stab at them. Looked really nice stock and I wouldn't have thought them dear at that.
    That's my point. I don't think you get their value selling. Better colour from continental cows anything else I think I'd finish. Not a big fan of the bull calves I think Lim has much more growth potential. I like heifer replacements but Lim would do that job just as well.

• Advertisement

Took a wee picture of that lady and this year's cub. He's about a month old now and I think he's gonna be a belter. Love these cattle as replacements anyhow.430388.jpg

Advertisement