Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any link between the hurricanes and the earthquake?

• 20-09-2017 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Right this wexford farmer is giving it one last shot.:P

screenshot_1.png

I was saying about the Hurricanes maybe giving pullage on the Carribean plate.
    The only way this seems plausible now is that the hurricanes actually brought more water and weight on one end of the plate and caused the earthquake on the other end.
    The RED dot is where the earthquake was on the 8th of September.
    The image above is of the 3 hurricanes is on the 8th.

The YELLOW dot is of the earthquake yesterday .
    The YELLOW line is the outline of the Caribbean plate.

The Purple line is the direction of wind of the hurricanes and how the wind might have brought in extra water from the atlantic and temporarily trapping it in the area between land and the ocean.

What do ye think?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This very crude image is the reason why i think it doesnt make a difference

Hurricanes_Earthquakes.jpg

The Ocean is very VERY deep
    The plates, sit below the depth of the ocean, in the earths crust.
    The storms only touch a fraction of the top of the depth of the ocean. So the storms themselves have no effect on the plates below from that point of view.
    When the storms reach land, they dump X amount of rain, but even that could not possibly weigh enough to affect tectonic plate movements several miles below the surface.

It's a very active tectonic region with the merging of several major plates. We just so happen to have some hurricanes in the area which make people think these things are connected. However, even when there's no hurricanes, earthquakes happen just as frequently in the region

Also when there are major hurricanes,sometimes no major earthquakes happen.

If you take the 2005 hurricane season, the one with katrina, rita, stan, wilma - MAJOR hurricanes in the carribbean region. There were no big earthquakes listed for mexico or even reflecting the caribbean plate in that time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Mexico

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_21st-century_earthquakes#2005

So all-in-all, its a nice theory, but I dont think it bears out in practicality overall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hurricane: 'I'm the biggest'
    Earthquake: 'Hold my beer...'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Floki wrote: »
    Right this wexford farmer is giving it one last shot.:P

screenshot_1.png

I was saying about the Hurricanes maybe giving pullage on the Carribean plate.
    The only way this seems plausible now is that the hurricanes actually brought more water and weight on one end of the plate and caused the earthquake on the other end.
    The RED dot is where the earthquake was on the 8th of September.
    The image above is of the 3 hurricanes is on the 8th.

The YELLOW dot is of the earthquake yesterday .
    The YELLOW line is the outline of the Caribbean plate.

The Purple line is the direction of wind of the hurricanes and how the wind might have brought in extra water from the atlantic and temporarily trapping it in the area between land and the ocean.

What do ye think?:pac:

Absolutely no chance. If you imagine a bath of water, do you think dropping a grain of salt on the surface could crack the bottom of the bath? That's the scale we're talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What might be more signifcant is that there was a new moon on the 20th (to be more precise, at 0531z). I wouldn't go so far as to say there was a strong connection between lunar tidal forces and earthquakes, but statistically some correlations have been demonstrated. The earth's crust is no doubt under more stress at these lunar tidal peaks than at other times in the lunar cycle. But some other set of circumstances building up slowly over time needs to be there for the lunar modulation to have something to work on.

As for the hurricanes, if they had been closer to Mexican coastlines then yes, possibly a connection (by increasing loads on nearby plate boundaries) but at the distance of Irma and then Maria from the active crustal zones, don't think there would be a direct connection. One can't rule out some more complex cause and effect operating on both sets of phenomena.

When there was a more powerful earthquake in Mexico City on the same date in 1985 (19 Sept) there was only distant Hurricane Gloria in the central Atlantic; it was in roughly the current position of Maria around 24 September.

Advertisement