Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth extractions

Options
  • 12-09-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

My daughter has recently been to see a dentist in Wexford town and was told she needed some teeth extracted but she would need to go to New Ross :(

My question is, are there any dentists or hospitals that can do teeth extractions in Wexford town? The dentist has said my daughter would need a general anaesthetic which is why the dentist could not do on site. However, having to go to New Ross would not be ideal for my daughter especially as she is likely to be unwell after the extractions, especially when she also suffers from severe travel sickness.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.allsmiledentalpractice.com/contact_us.html

http://www.allsmiledentalpractice.com/extrations.html

Located across from Wexford library
    Had two teeth extracted last year here Ronan is the dentist great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

McLoughlin wrote: »
    http://www.allsmiledentalpractice.com/contact_us.html

http://www.allsmiledentalpractice.com/extrations.html

Located across from Wexford library
    Had two teeth extracted last year here Ronan is the dentist great service.

Thanks McLoughlin, did you have local anaesthetic or general anaesthetic? My daughter needs 5 pulled and the dentist she had said best to do all at once under general anaesthetic which many dentists seem not do any more. Altho maybe ok to have 1-2 done under local anaesthetic.

Thanks Phil

I had my two taken out at different times over a couple of weeks as one was free with medical card and I paid for the other. I just had an injection just to numb the area were the tooth was.

It's best to ring or see the dentist and make a plan with him to see what he can do. Perhaps he might do a couple of teeth in one sitting.

Ah, I thought you could not get dental work with medical cards? We applied for medical cards 9 months ago and still waiting :(

So, it might be worth waiting to see if we get medical card as she needs 5 teeth pulled. She says she does not mind having them pulled one at a time if need be over a period of time. 5 teeth pulled will not be cheap tho :(

I know over the age of 16 you can get 2 fillings, an extraction and check up on the medical card a year but i don't know about children.

All the best hope you manage to find a solution for your daughter

• Advertisement

Thanks, I just remembered been told kids have to be over 16 years old to use a medical card. Good news is that I found a dental practice that does kids prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

How old is your daughter?

wendydoll wrote: »
    How old is your daughter?

She is 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was the dentist a HSE dentist ??

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was the dentist a HSE dentist ??

The first dentist she saw was the emergency dentist on Grogans road so I presume HSE. They said she would be put on waiting list but would take at least 6mths so we trying to find something quicker and went to Smiles where the dentist said she would need to refer to New Ross for extractions under general anaesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

She should be seen by the HSE dentist in Wexford Community Care Office. They have a massive back log with all dentist seeing kids these days but if she's in pain they should provide treatment to her asap.

Is there a reason she needs to go under general anaesthetic? Is she very nervous? Loads of kids can manage extractions with local anaesthetic only.

Are these adult teeth that need extracting? If they are, I'd be looking to save as many as possible.

Maybe bring her to a paediactric dentist, there;s one in Kilkenny and one in Clonmel.

wendydoll wrote: »
    She should be seen by the HSE dentist in Wexford Community Care Office. They have a massive back log with all dentist seeing kids these days but if she's in pain they should provide treatment to her asap.

Is there a reason she needs to go under general anaesthetic? Is she very nervous? Loads of kids can manage extractions with local anaesthetic only.

Are these adult teeth that need extracting? If they are, I'd be looking to save as many as possible.

Maybe bring her to a paediactric dentist, there;s one in Kilkenny and one in Clonmel.

Thanks, 2 adult teeth and 3 baby teeth, but I will confirm with the dentist before we pulled to see if either adult teeth can be saved. She is not in any pain tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A mate of mine took his son to grogans road for a regular check up, was told by the dentist he needed a filling, mate took him for second opinion to private dentist who totally disagreed with HSE dentist in that there was nothing wrong with the tooth, it wasn't bad and what the other dentist was looking at was a Fischer seal.

Lucky he went for that second opinion otherwise his son would have a tooth filled that didn't need filling. Incredible. Wonder is this happening to many other children that had a Fischer seal. Crap service by the sounds of it, but doesn't surprise me

vicwatson wrote: »
    A mate of mine took his son to grogans road for a regular check up, was told by the dentist he needed a filling, mate took him for second opinion to private dentist who totally disagreed with HSE dentist in that there was nothing wrong with the tooth, it wasn't bad and what the other dentist was looking at was a Fischer seal.

Lucky he went for that second opinion otherwise his son would have a tooth filled that didn't need filling. Incredible. Wonder is this happening to many other children that had a Fischer seal. Crap service by the sounds of it, but doesn't surprise me

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am not sure if I trust some of these dentists. I was charged 30 euros for temporary filling on a baby tooth that took around 1 minute to do! This is when my daughter there was no pain from the tooth but the dentist said there would be later but as it was a baby tooth then it still surprised me that that she would bother doing it if not hurting. I will questioning everything now when I eventually find a dentist who will do her necessary extractions on site.

Advertisement