Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Island Query

Options
  • 30-08-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭

Heard that those who lived there were made move off the island to accommodate the prison - the 2nd opening of the prison i think - is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

I did the tour last month and as far as I remember the last residents were moved out as a result of the 1985 prison riot, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭sporina

Golfer50 wrote: »
    I did the tour last month and as far as I remember the last residents were moved out as a result of the 1985 prison riot, not before.

and how did the residents feel about this i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

They would have preferred not to leave according to the tour guide I had and still say they would move back tomorrow if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

The tour is on my bucket list, would you recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I thought it was worthwhile.
    I was particularly taken with the gun emplacements facing out towards the mouth of cork harbour.
    If they could do it up a bit more, it would be a great attraction for the region.

• Advertisement
Advertisement