Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving family to Cork

Options
  • 21-08-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there

Headwrecked about where to move to in Cork and would really appreciate some advice!! My husband and I are looking to move with our two children aged 5 and 3 in the next year.

The key things for us are that we close to Cork city, close to beaches and there are things for kids to do wherever we live and that there are good schools.

Areas we have looked at are Midleton, Kinsale and Douglas.
    Can anyone recommend good places, ideally estates to live in Midleton? We would be looking for a 4 bed detached house..
    Douglas seems quite expensive?
    What would Kinsale be like to live in?

Any other areas we havent thought of?

Thanks so much for any replies, my first time on boards due to head being frazzled searching areas on Daft!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

what about Cobh?I'm not from the area, but afaik it fits your criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Where will you be working? I'd recommend trying to avoid have to travel through the tunnel if possible.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Liveforhols

Thanks for replies... Will check out Cobh thanks :) Husband working near Airport and Im a teacher so teacher so hoping to get something closer to the time. Looking to buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Broomfield is a very nice estate in Midleton. Close to train station and walking distance to town. New section being built, so that's 100 new houses coming on stream soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Add Carrigaline, Carrigtohill and Glanmire/Riverstown to your list.
    As previous poster pointed out, factor in which side of the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Carrigaline would tick all the boxes. Plenty of schools nearby and 20 mins to the airport.
    Its usually very expensive compared to other places.

Not from there, but always had a soft spot for Carrigaline. Country town feel. Midelton also a fine town. Bandon/Innishannon also comes into the field. Bandon has 4 second level schools. Boating at Kilmacsimon and 15 mins to the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bishopstown ticks a lot of boxes

(Not near a beach though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hi there

Headwrecked about where to move to in Cork and would really appreciate some advice!! My husband and I are looking to move with our two children aged 5 and 3 in the next year.

The key things for us are that we close to Cork city, close to beaches and there are things for kids to do wherever we live and that there are good schools.

Areas we have looked at are Midleton, Kinsale and Douglas.
    Can anyone recommend good places, ideally estates to live in Midleton? We would be looking for a 4 bed detached house..
    Douglas seems quite expensive?
    What would Kinsale be like to live in?

Any other areas we havent thought of?

Thanks so much for any replies, my first time on boards due to head being frazzled searching areas on Daft!!! :)

Midleton would tick alot of boxes except for the fact your husband works up by the Airport. Horrible commute in the morning and evening with often nightmare traffic. Also be aware the Dunkettle Interchange works will make the traffic situation even more chaotic at the tunnel for 2/3 years - due to commence next year. Therefore Carrigaline would be a good option - the main N28 is a rubbish road though.

Hi all, thanks for all your replies, loads there to consider. Hadn't considered traffic, husbands family living near Carrigaline so was hoping to be further afield ;)

• Advertisement

Out towards Bandon so. He'll be into work in 25 mins. Pick up a good house for c €230/250K.

Thanks John, would Clonakilty be too far?

Thanks John, would Clonakilty be too far?

One of the key things you mentioned was being close to the city, Clonakilty definitely ain't that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Kinsale would be very expensive. Are you primary or secondary?

Hiya, I'm a primary school teacher :) Love the idea of kinsale but having looked it up it looks too pricey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Kinsale'd be nice, but it is a tourist town,
    . . . Bandons not far from the airport.. Should be much cheaper too, and not far from the beach...
    Oh and the tunnel is pretty much grand except peak rush hours.. So it depends on when his shifts start and finish, 9 to 5 'd be a dose though..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aldarjes

If you're thinking of looking towards Bandon keep Ballinhassig and Crossbarry in mind. Ballinhassig only 10 minutes from the airport but still has country village feel. Crossbarry has plenty of nice housing estates and easy access to the city, Ballincollig and Bandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Innishannon would be a good compromise. Kinsale quite close. Airport reasonably close. Schools in Bandon and Bishopstown are not far away. And you are far enough away from Carrigaline.

Bandon is very much a functional place. Worked there for a year and it's a depressing place - not much going on there. Would definitely recommend Midleton / East Cork. Great for kids with beaches/Fota etc very nearby. Unrivalled transport links with trains into the city also. Only issue would be commuting to the airport. But if you're considering Clonakilty then Midleton would be a breeze. Loads of schools also and Carrigtwohill nearby has two new primary schools due to be built in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Minane Bridge / Roberts Cove, Riverstick, Belgooly, Ballinhassig, Waterfall if you want to stay out of the city.
    Bishopstown, Wilton, Glasheen, Togher, Ballyphehane in the city suburbs.

Douglas / Rochestown are expensive as is Kinsale. IMO, Douglas and Rochestown are overated albeit they're well served by shops and amenities. Kinsale is lovely, expensive as well though and in summertime it get's fairly chock-a-block.

Carrigaline would appear to tick all the boxes but traffic there can be fairly hectic as well so I'd be inclined to go for the city side of the town rather than the southern part.

I'd eliminate East Cork just to steer clear of the tunnel and South Ring at peak times. It can be incredibly frustrating and one accident along that road and it's gridlock - and there's accidents there EVERY week.

The city suburban areas I mentioned are all very accessible and good enough areas with good access to the airport or the city and plenty of amenities without the premium price that Douglas attracts (although Bishopstown would be close...)

• Advertisement

Clon is not too far. Attracts a lot of young people, vibrant and pricey. Lovely, lots of small boutique shops. Hubby would still be in work in 40/45 mins. As quick as Midelton IWS.
    As you can see from the few posts above, lots of inbetween choices too.

Thanks so much, ye have a wealth of info there. Went around Cork last weekend, did East Cork and a bit of South Cork. Even though its touristy thought Kinsale was really beautiful. Does anyone know of any nice estates near kinsale town? Saw there's a new development with Sherry Fitz Kinsale Manor but they've only 3 beds at the mo. Would need a 4 bed. Thanks for replies :)

OP, PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

try Ballincollig 15 mins at most to airport plenty of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Passage West is just 7 miles from city, plenty of sports organizations for kids, youth club,scouts, two nice playgrounds and a great community school, good bus service, beaches less than 15 miles away. I believe its pretty good to rent rates wise.Closure of the supermarket is a nuisance but one the german ones is supposed to open soon. I would recommend it.

Advertisement