Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Wexford with a young family

Options
  • 29-07-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone ,
    we are currently saving for a mortgage and have agreed that we are buying a house in Wexford , we used to own a mobile home in Rosslare and really loved spending time there. I realise we are already priced out of the market there as we need a 4 to 5 bedroom home. We have 4 young children ranging in ages from 16 down to 2 , so we have lots to consider like schools clubs etc .we won't be ready to move for about 2 and a half 3 years , ideally we will be going for a detached bungalow ,in and around North Wexford we are currently checking some out on Daft , so I have a few questions I would be delighted if my fellow Wexford boardsies could answer !!

I see house prices in Wexford have jumped in 2017 , is this rise likely to continue? will there be a massive price difference in 2020 when we are ready to buy ?

Any advice on villages , towns to consider /avoid?

Is there a good broadband in the rural villages yet ? (to bribe the teenager !!)

would love to hear also from families who made the move to the sunny South East , thanks for any replies .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hi everyone ,
    we are currently saving for a mortgage and have agreed that we are buying a house in Wexford , we used to own a mobile home in Rosslare and really loved spending time there. I realise we are already priced out of the market there as we need a 4 to 5 bedroom home. We have 4 young children ranging in ages from 16 down to 2 , so we have lots to consider like schools clubs etc .we won't be ready to move for about 2 and a half 3 years , ideally we will be going for a detached bungalow ,in and around North Wexford we are currently checking some out on Daft , so I have a few questions I would be delighted if my fellow Wexford boardsies could answer !!

I see house prices in Wexford have jumped in 2017 , is this rise likely to continue? will there be a massive price difference in 2020 when we are ready to buy ?

Any advice on villages , towns to consider /avoid?

Is there a good broadband in the rural villages yet ? (to bribe the teenager !!)

would love to hear also from families who made the move to the sunny South East , thanks for any replies .

Prices have risen in Wexford for exactly the same reason as they rose during the Celtic Tiger years, people being priced out of the property market in Dublin. So as to how long it goes on, until the next bust I suppose, and it will come.
    On the other side of the coin, Wexford had one of the highest number of house completions last year so that tempered the rise somewhat, add to that the fact that prices in rural areas have not risen that much.
    You are asking a difficult question, as nobody knows what the market will be in three years or indeed what your own circumstances will be, but based on current trends house prices are likely to keep rising around the major population centres like Gorey, Wexford, New Ross. Prices may not rise as quickly in Enniscorthy in the short term but that is likely to change with the completion of the motorway.
    A four or five bedroomed detached bungalow is going to be a pricey commodity at any time and you may need to go quite rural to meet your circumstances. This is not an ideal situation when taking teenage children into account, particularly if you are coming from an urban situation. Broadband is hit and miss in rural areas depending on the supplier, it's something you'd need to check closer to the time. Generally it is better in population centres.
    I think you are jumping the gun a bit, three years is a long time to be looking ahead and who knows what any of our circumstances will be then but , if it helps, I am an ex Dub myself and like yourself fell in love with Wexford while having a mobile home here. I moved here fifteen years ago and haven't regretted it for a second and I know lots of ex Dubs, ex Brits, ex Poles etc, who feel exactly the same way.

Advertisement