Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 214 - DC vs Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

DC Sub
    Inviere wrote: »
    Perhaps, but is that just how he fights though? (ie, smart). It's not exciting to watch, but he's there to win...& asking him to change his style, dramatically increase his risk, all for the entertainment of others....it's not that fair really. I get it in that it's an entertainment business, but it's also the sport of MMA...I feel Dana should have acknowledged the stylistic difficulties Tyron has faced recently, & perhaps leaned more with the technical nature of his fighting, as opposed to siding with the bloodlust brigade.

Forget belts, glory and sport. These fighters are there for my (the public) entertainment. Fighters can spout on about honor and prestige all they want but it all boils down to entertainment. Take Megreggor for example. I and many other tune in for his press conferences because its likely to be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Jon Jones Sub
    Easy Rod wrote: »
    I was talking about the 'johnny on his head' comment in the video you posted, nothing else. They're clearly arseholes and made disgusting comments but "to be fair" they didn't in that incidence.

Agree with this, in Kavanagh's video they are talking about the big lad behind Cyborg. He has something weird on his head and he looks huge.

As for Byrne's video, I don't think JK can be heard in that and nobody gives a ****,not should they care about what Byrne has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Django99 wrote:
    There's a video a couple of pages back where he says "I beat DC off steroids the first time and I beat him off steroids the second time" To be off something you have to have been on it to begin with!

I don't think anyone who has been a fan of MMA for a long period of time finds this shocking or controversial in any way to be honest. Fighters at the top level using steroids isn't exactly a revelation it's been happening for a long long time and will continue to happen. They didn't feel the need to bring in USADA testing for the craic. If anything he should be commended for being that transparent about it instead of what 90% of fighters who have used them in the past do and act like they don't even know what a steroid is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maia Decision
    Whelo79 wrote: »
    Agree with this, in Kavanagh's video they are talking about the big lad behind Cyborg. He has something weird on his head and he looks huge.

As for Byrne's video, I don't think JK can be heard in that and nobody gives a ****,not should they care about what Byrne has to say.

What? The cornerman has a cap on his head backwards and his head isn't even big.

They were all saying stupid sh1t like "MAN's work" and "let's go MR!".

Now, part of the reasoning for the abuse *might* have been the fact that Cyborg threw George Lockhart under the bus blaming him for her last weight-cut publicly but even still it's CLEAR the whole lot of them are doing the "Cyborg is a dude" jokes.

That's funny if you're a 5-year-old.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maia Decision
    Inviere wrote: »
    Was Tyron not booed because he broke a record for least amount of punches thrown?
    Surely Maia broke the record not Woodley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Maia Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    Surely Maia broke the record not Woodley?

Was it not total between them? Thats what i thought rogan said either way woodley was easily stuffing take downs yet never looked like doing anything to get maia out of there. Wouldnt be surprised if his next fight is a fightnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Woodley Sub
    Woodley said his right shoulder popped out early in the fight which is why he wasn't throwing any of his patented haymakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Woodley Sub
    Was it not total between them? Thats what i thought rogan said either way woodley was easily stuffing take downs yet never looked like doing anything to get maia out of there. Wouldnt be surprised if his next fight is a fightnight

Nah i reckon he will still get a co-main slot against the likes of robbie lawlor on a ppv card. If true about his shoulder then i can understand why he didnt finish maia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Jon Jones Sub
    What? The cornerman has a cap on his head backwards and his head isn't even big.

And light and shadow are shining on him which at first glance makes it hard to distinguish what is on his head. Either way, they are clearly not talking about Cyborg at that point.

Whatever Byrne and the others are saying in his snap chat should be of no concern to us. No matter if it is right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Anyone else think JJ looked poor enough up to the stoppage ? He seemed laboured and mechanical . Obviously doesnt matter now after such a devastating finish

Not sure if laboured is quite right - perhaps it's testament to DC's efficacy. DC likely invested more time, energy and thought into his game-plan than arguably anybody else has ever done for a fight. Even then, the fact remains, it wasn't nearly enough. That says something about JJ...

His last TKO was in 2013, against Sonnen, which was a something of a mismatch. So you're really looking back to 2012 for a similar type devastating finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Woodley KO/TKO
    I didn't think Jones was that impressive until the kick also, he definitely looked good in the first minute and then slowed down as DC closed the distance and handled most things thrown until the kick. So hard to score the rounds, sounds like most had it 1-1 going into the 3rd.

Maia Decision
    Im not sure exactly what Joe said the record was tbh. I just don't see the point using the low strikes to have a pop at Woodley. He threw twice as much a Maia.

And I'm saying that as a huge Maia fan, who's fairly indifferent towards Woodley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I didn't think Jones was that impressive until the kick also, he definitely looked good in the first minute and then slowed down as DC closed the distance and handled most things thrown until the kick. So hard to score the rounds, sounds like most had it 1-1 going into the 3rd.

Yeah i had it level too . Jones was targeting the body though so maybe it was part of his gameplan to not let it go to the scorecards .

The height and reach difference was crazy though so Kudos to DC for making it competitive in what was mostly a stand up fight . And to believe he was also a great heavyweight, awesome fighter.

Woodley Sub
    I had it 1-1 going into the 3rd also. Jones fought a pretty good fight. DC didn't have much success at all in the 3rd round and that little trip after the headkick was sick. Most of the time when Jones switched to southpaw he was firing off patterns that consisted of low kicks and teeps to the body, programming DC into expecting them to be lower but he went high with the final one. There was also an interesting link posted on reddit of a q&a (with Conor and Porier) 3 years ago before DC and Jones' first fight where DC openly admitted that one of his glaring weaknesses was a head kick from his right side. A crazy premonition.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

The way I was brought up I just can't abide by racism. Ireland has lots of social and inclusionary problems but that is another story.

Woodley is one of the greatest welterweights of all time, active and 3 title defences.

Just because Maia is too reliant on his one skillset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia Decision
    The way I was brought up I just can't abide by racism. Ireland has lots of social and inclusionary problems but that is another story.

Woodley is one of the greatest welterweights of all time, active and 3 title defences.

3 of the worst title fights in history, one round from them 3 was enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

Many of us would be similar to you, but there was no racism last night at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MMayweather

Gamebred wrote: »
    3 of the worst title fights in history, one round from them 3 was enjoyable.

First fight against Wonderboy was great. Second fight was wondeboys fault as was third fight Maias.

Name me a better welterweight? He destroyed Lawler with one punch. McDonald ran off to Bellator.

Maia Decision
    First fight against Wonderboy was great. Second fight was wondeboys fault as was third fight Maias.

Name me a better welterweight? He destroyed Lawler with one punch. McDonald ran off to Bellator.

I'm guessing your trolling but I'll take your bait, round 4 from the Wonderboy fights was the only one from them defences that were good, not sure how your blaming everyone but Woodley,

Your blaming of Wonderboy and Maia is racist imo.

Maia Decision
    Name me a better welterweight?

George St Pierre
    Matt Hughes
    (Wekterweight) BJ Penn

Your trolling is sub-par today. I am disappoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I'm guessing your trolling but I'll take your bait, round 4 from the Wonderboy fights was the only one from them defences that were good, not sure how your blaming everyone but Woodley,

Your blaming of Wonderboy and Maia is racist imo.

To be fair, Woodley Thompson 1 got fight of the night at 205, although I didn't enjoy it that much it was nowhere near as bad as his last two defences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads, don't fed the troll thanks..

Maia Decision
    Django99 wrote: »
    To be fair, Woodley Thompson 1 got fight of the night at 205, although I didn't enjoy it that much it was nowhere near as bad as his last two defences.

I havent seen it since Nov so I could be wrong but was it not like the other rounds between them bar that Wonderboy survival in rd4?

I havent seen it since Nov so I could be wrong but was it not like the other rounds between them bar that Wonderboy survival in rd4?

Not quite as bad as far as I can remember, Woodley pushed forward a bit more and Thompson commited to counters a lot more. I'm almost afraid to watch it again in case it actually was as bad though, but at the time I thought it was a decent scrap.

Woodley Sub
    Round 1 was good in that fight too. Well it was mainly a takedown and Woodley opening up Wonderboys face with elbows. Rounds 2/3/5 was mainly Woodley being mostly inactive and Wonderboy racking up points with volume against the cage.

Maia Decision
    Shame the UFC let Rory and Larkin go, division doesnt look too deep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

DC KO/TKO
    Shame the UFC let Rory and Larkin go, division doesnt look too deep now.

division badly needs rory now, outclassed woodley first time, see no reason why he couldn't beat him again either

Maia Decision
    A fight from far afield but I'd watch the **** out of Khabib going up to fight Woodley.

A fight from far afield but I'd watch the **** out of Khabib going up to fight Woodley.

I was thinking the same thing, there's the danger that it would be 25 minutes of TDD though, but it could be brilliant if Woodley let loose with his striking or if Khabib could drag him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

DC KO/TKO
    who fights woodley next?
    There's nobody there right now unless condit got a second shot and it seems the only other guy on a win streak is colby covington who would be unbearable if he ever gets his hands on that strap.
    I'd fancy either condit or masival to beat woodley.

Advertisement