Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Election and Immigration.

Options
  • 23-07-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I haven't lived in New Zealand for a long time. I see a lot of the Political Party's are focusing on cracking down on Immigration. Is this such a big problem and what social problems is this causing in NZD.?
    I got a lot of stick from friends when I supported a recent President with them almost calling me racist because of his Immigration ideas. Seems NZ isnt to far behind themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't think people here are anti immigration per se. I think a lot of people see Auckland bulging at the seams, with terrible infrastructure and ask why more people are being let in, combined with a large number of Asians who can barely speak a word of English it seems certain rules apply to some but not others. Auckland is the monster causing most of the problems, with both foreigners and locals being drawn into it, feeding it more, de-populating the regions etc

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get residency, even being on the skills shortage lists. No problem with that, but when you see people who can barely converse with the locals because of language barriers and are only running corner store etc you do have to question how they managed to get visas when they're not really offering anything to the country in terms of skill sets.

New Zealand has a good immigration policy overall, you have to be able to add something to the country to get considered, all it needs is proper rigorous enforcement of policy to work correctly and fairly, and an expansion of the clauses regarding higher weighting given to applicants willing to live in the regions rather than Auckland / Wellington / Chch.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

It's sound a lot like it is here in the States. I had to jump through hoops to get my Greencard but certain people think it's ok to be illegal here and believe they should be able to stay. The language thing I get as the same problem seems to be here with people not learning the language and not wanting too either.

Advertisement