Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1 year old refusing formula

• 21-07-2017 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a one year old that has been breast fed and after 6 months also moved onto solids. At 1 year we want to move away from any breast feeds and move onto formula.
    My little one will drink cows milk but we've been advised to wait until 2 years of age before cows milk. In the mean time though, he refuses formula.
    We have also been advised not to mix the formula with cows milk so we're unsure how else to coax him into doing it.

Any tips appreciated.

Regards optimistic Dad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Is it a medical professional who advised against it?

You could try the premade stuff it's a bit lighter than the powder

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Hi,

I have a one year old that has been breast fed and after 6 months also moved onto solids. At 1 year we want to move away from any breast feeds and move onto formula.
    My little one will drink cows milk but we've been advised to wait until 2 years of age before cows milk. In the mean time though, he refuses formula.
    We have also been advised not to mix the formula with cows milk so we're unsure how else to coax him into doing it.

Any tips appreciated.

Regards optimistic Dad

Who advised you? If it wasn't a medical professional for some medical reason I'd say that's rubbish. After a year most children don't need formula so I'd stick with the cows milk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

After 12 months, cow's milk is fine.Unless you have a medical reason for using formula after 12 months....don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Formula after one is totally unnecessary, unless you've been advised otherwise by a professional. , if there's enough nutrients in the babies diet, you don't need to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭tommythecat

As above whoever told you to wait till 2 for cows milk has got it all wrong (unless it's for a medical reason). Cows milk is totally fine after 12 months. Just go with that and as long as they are getting enough solids then everything will be fine. Ditch the formula.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Was your baby premature by any chance?

This HSE link says after 1 is fine unless the baby was premature (it's a good bit down the page).

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/child/cfyb/6-24mths/feeding/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

Your little one doesn't want formula because babies over 1 don't need it! They should be getting all their nutrients from soild food. Hse says all babies should be off forumla by 1 unless premature so who advised you off this? The minute our little guy turned 1 it was like a switch + he refused his bottles. Then we gave him cows milk + he would drink that. He eats well so forumla was just too filling for him. You should be glad your baby like cows milk as some people have a hard time weaning babies off forumla as they don't like taste of cows milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

I see where the consensus is going here so we're going to leave it at cows milk and stop pushing the formula. My little one has very varied and healthy solid diet so we'll go with the cows milk.
    Thanks all for input

Advertisement