Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to in county Cork

Options
  • 20-07-2017 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Apologies as these types of threads can get a little bias but hoping for some info anyway

Im looking to moce from county Galway to cork but as with most of Ireland the house prices for rent are pretty high. Id love to live near Cork city itself for employment purposes but looking at towns close to city it appears i need to be a lawyer or accountant to pay that sort of rent.

A lot of the houses I've seen online fro up to 900 a month are in towns I'm very unfamiliar with so any advice appreciated.

Were a couple in mid 30s two kids (who are used to rural life but im sure can adjust)

Macroom
    Clonikilty
    Bandon
    Michelstown
    Ballineen
    Douglas (rare houses)
    Charleville
    Mallow
    Cobh
    Skibereen

Considerations are transport links to city or nearby employment hubs
    Schools
    Amenities

also if ive missed out any towns pls feel free to suggest

thanks for ready and for replying if you can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you want to have a reasonable commute, leave out Skibb, Ballineen, mitchelstown. If you want train routes, its cobh, mallow, midleton. If you want to be able to get to Galway then choose north cork. If you are working in ballincollig, then don't pick north cork over Bandon or macroom. Lots of factors so maybe tell us some more about where you're working (general area).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Depends a lot on where you see yourself working.
    Carrigtwohill, Midleton, Cobh are all on the train line and easy access to the East Cork areas and the Little Island industrial hub (also easy-ish access to Pharma industry area in Ringaskiddy)
    However if you are going to be working west side of the city then you should look at Ballincollig, Blarney, etc.
    Douglas is more or less city centre and I would think house prices will reflect that

If you want to stick to rural then avoid towns such as Cobh, Midleton, Carrigaline, Ballincollig etc. and go for smaller villages on the outskirts. Saying that it can be nice to be part of a small town where you will have some house stock, schools, shops and also some half decent transport links to the city. Its nice to be able to get a break from the city when you might be spending your day working there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Haha your like the opposite of ourselves, swopping the kids for two pets.. Moved from Cork to Galway :)

Youll be in for a shock with the rent in Cork, it is a fair bit more expensive than Galway especially the closer you get to the City, and the quality isn't the best..

I would think out of the places you listed

Macroom - Not really for people not from there
    Clonikilty - Great spot, very friendly has everything, but prices for rent will be high enough in Clon town
    Bandon - yeah the less said the better
    Michelstown - Grand but not really here nor there if you are looking for someplace close to town
    Ballineen
    Douglas (rare houses) - Good spot again but prices will be mad for houses, you could look just outside Douglas like Monkstown or maybe Ringaskiddy, Carrigaline.
    Charleville - mmm no
    Mallow - mmm no
    Cobh - mmm defiant no
    Skibereen - Great spot full of loons, a fair travel to get to Cork city but for the life (especially if you like the water) I would think it would be spot on

Spots to maybe look at, if by any chance you found something within price range to rent in Ballintemple or the nicer side of Blackrock go for it, for living close to town and schools..Dundanion Court would be a could spot to rent but not sure of prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ernie84

Lol, thank you very much for your detailed response. Yes rent prices seem outrageous in Ireland (I'm from UK originally) just seems more employment opportunities with bigger companies in Cork and i do love the city (not to live in though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tis so hard to find a nice place when you aren't too familiar with the areas, in a new City... The rental market is just gone nuts there is employment but tis just what the landlords get away with, and then this air bnb took up a lot of places...

I must say Cork City is lovely to get around nice and compact.. But then all the little towns outside like Douglas, Ballincollig, Carrigaline nearly have everything you need..

There is an area Dripsey or places close to that, if you did want more of a country life but with a direct route to town... Around this area would not be the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Milly33 wrote: »
    Cobh - mmm defiant no

Cobh is a lot nicer then it was. Less obvious social problems then years back, a lot more tourists bringing new business. I live in Clon but if I were to move to a town closer to the city it would more than likely be Cobh. Beautiful town nice countryside about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Ballincollig is a big commuter town but rent is expensive and choice is limited.
    From ballincollig you have plenty of small villages within 10/15 mins drive, if you like the rural life then thats what I'd recommend.
    Middleton would be similar, look outside the towns.
    Go onto google maps and look up the commuter areas, then look at the villages nearby and put them areas into Daft and see what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Depends on your industry of course, but I considered moving to Skibb and still would. It is a great place.
    Ludgate Centre is a hub for start up IT companies so that industry in at the early stage in Skibb and might be hiring.
    The Uilinn is the new arts centre and very impressive.
    Schools seem great for primary and they have a new secondary community school.
    Property to rent or buy is very affordable.
    It has beauty spots nearly and I've noticed many of its young population are returning there from other parts of Ireland and abroad.
    There are loads of UK people there (like in all of West Cork) so you will feel at home.

The only downsides are the distance to the city and airport (Thats probably why property price is low).

Advertisement