Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Best Dressed Doctor

• 18-07-2017 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Who would be your best dressed Doctor?

For me it's Matt Smith's 11th Doctor. Loved the jackets and waistcoats and occasional slacks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Eight rocking the death shroud

paul+mcgann.jpg

Who would be your best dressed Doctor?

For me it's Matt Smith's 11th Doctor. Loved the jackets and waistcoats and occasional slacks.

I liked when he looked like a hipster who'd raided your granddad's wardrobe.

I remember getting spoiled with some set pictures of the costume on that beach in Wales they're always on. I wasn't even mad at being spoiled, because I loved the get up so much.

On the opposite end of the scale, Two's clown trousers were dire, but the fecking celery had to be the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The 9th Doctor for me. No gimmicks nothing out of the ordinary, just a sleek look.
    Having said that, bow ties are always cool.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Das Kitty wrote: »
    but the fecking celery had to be the worst of the lot.

WHOA WHOA WHOA don't be saying things you can't be taking back :D

I always had a soft spot for Pertwee's "Dandy" Doctor. Always reminded me of the hammer horror films I probably shouldn't have been watching as a kid :)

112105.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the 11th's wardrobe really hit the mark, arguably becoming as iconic as the 4ths own get-up if cosplayers are any kind of yardstick :D I still think Tom Baker was the best, particularly the mid-era version with the beige / grey coat...

You could pick any of the 1980s Doctors' clothes for 'worst' mind you; the celery was just ... I dunno. Was an explanation by the staff ever given for that? IIRC, Colin Baker's big overcoat was originally meant to be a simple royal blue number, but was axed in favour of the technicolour vomit version we know and hate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, the 11th's wardrobe really hit the mark, arguably becoming as iconic as the 4ths own get-up if cosplayers are any kind of yardstick :D I still think Tom Baker was the best, particularly the mid-era version with the beige / grey coat...

You could pick any of the 1980s Doctors' clothes for 'worst' mind you; the celery was just ... I dunno. Was an explanation by the staff ever given for that? IIRC, Colin Baker's big overcoat was originally meant to be a simple royal blue number, but was axed in favour of the technicolour vomit version we know and hate.

I think Syl's was worse though. question marks everywhere. Even the umbrella.

You do indeed see 11 everywhere at cons :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Syl's was worse though. question marks everywhere. Even the umbrella.

You do indeed see 11 everywhere at cons :)

The question marks were bad, but at least at its core it had a 'dotty university professor' look with the jacket, tie & sweater combo; swap out the sweater for something plain & it would have been fine. Colin Baker's eyesore jacket just made him look like a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I hated the question marks. Very cringy.

Also thought that Colin Bakers outfit looked like Bosco has come to life.

I like the question marks!

I like when they go mental with the costume. But the Celery to me is like someone saying "I'm mad, me!" No you're not.

Pertwee is class though. Tattoo having, vampire costume wearing, hard-man. And lets not forget the baby blue showercap look.

Would have liked if Capaldi had gone for a kilt every now and then instead of sticking with the aging-muso look.

The 3rd Doctor did make some questionable decisions though with his occasional disguises:

Doctor-Who-Jon-Pertwee-Green-Death-cleaning-lady.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement