Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

'Rack off' in peace Shane.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Sad news. We all grew up watching Home & Away and Shane was a big hit with the girls. Used to love him and Angel. Was clearing out the garage last year and there were a few Summer Bay posters in there. Thanks for the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

That’s the second home and away actor in two years .. Ben Unwin died in similar circumstances in 2019 .

I had seen an interview with Dieter Brummer a few years back and he was saying his casting in H&A was a bit of curse as that’s all future casting couldn’t see past his character in Home and away.

He did seem to run a fairly successful business going by other newspaper accounts.

Another teen actor from the program gave up acting completely and became a life guard on Bondi Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

The money the younger actors on H&A get wouldn't be that great. After they leave the show they would have to get another job fairly quickly. I'd say they wouldn't even be able to save much of it, they would only have enough to live on. The older, more established actors like Ray Meagher (Alf) and  Emily Symons (who played Marilyn) would be on decent dosh though I'd imagine.

Maybe that has changed now and the young actors in it are paid better but back in the 90's they got very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP Dieter

Loved Shane on H&A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

The actress who played Pippa (the 2nd one) has been open in saying that getting the role on Home and Away was like winning the lottery. So the money must've been decent enough in those days. Still, there's only so long the money from any well-paid job will last and if you're typecast, what do you do? Are there many other occupations out there where you're remembered and judged by a job you held when you were a teenager?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't say the money from the show itself was great however the side money that could be earned in the UK would have been huge from panto to chat shows to being popstars.

Ben Unwin who died two years ago I think H&A was the only show he acted on he went to be a very successful lawyer before sadly dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Heath Ledger was another who was in it for a short time in the late 90s.

Seems like a bit of a curse.

Have only vague recollections of Shane in H+A despite watching it a lot back in the 90s. Was he the one who died after getting stung? Aussie TV was a big deal back then. Seems to have fallen off the radar a bit the last decade

Sad to hear about Dieter though. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Going back a while but the actress who played Don Fishers daughter passed away  too. Sad to hear of Dieter though, he seemed a nice guy off screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A few of his former acting colleagues have asked people to 'reach out for help'... so it seems it's pretty much concluded now he took his own life.

Not the first former Aussie/ New Zealand actor to take his own life. Very sad news to hear.

• Advertisement

Dieter Brummer actually visited Cork sometime in the 90's I remember for a meet and greet with fans in a HMV store. It had to be called off because the place was mobbed with teenage girls. It was at the height of his fame in Home and Away. He said afterwards he was embarrassed by the while thing because he didn't consider himself to be that famous.

I dunno how many people listen to podcasts, but there's a mental health one that the actor Michael Rosenbaum hosts called 'Inside of You...' where he talks to actors, musicians, artists, writers, directors... etc etc. Lot of creative folks, focuses on mental health-be it being depressed, or ways they stave off depression, or have been lucky to avoid it.

It's quite interesting. But one thing I remember is that Rosenbaum said that, as an actor, you're often alone with your thoughts. Between filming schedules, or TV/ Film projects, there's LOTS of downtime, doing nothing. It's why so many actors either take up a hobby, or have a band, or a side business, or do everything they can to stay out of their heads, and have an income (no matter how meagre) between acting gigs. And sadly, being in their heads is why so many others fall prey to substances, or sink into depression...with a tragic outcome.

There's this worry that the last paying gig they had, is the last paying gig they will ever have. We see the positive, beaming faces in magazines, or online, or on TV... but that worry is always at the back of their minds.

Melissa George (his co-star in H&A) has not made any public comment on his death. You'd think she would have extended her sympathies. The two of them were not exactly best buddies during their time on the series though;

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrity-deaths/home-and-away-couple-dieter-brummer-and-melissa-georges-offscreen-tension/news-story/60ebedcc6189522595a82c739bba6526

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

I hope she doesn't say anything. They didn't get on well on set, so why should she pretend to care now that he's dead? It wouldn't be long before she'd be attacked online by the perpetually outraged anyway.

Tbh, if she says nothing, she will look WAAAY worse than if she does say something.

I think Melissa likes to distance herself from Home and Away, embarrassed, she shouldn't be as many actors start on soaps

Kirsty Wright aka Chloe dated Dieter

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

His character cut his finger on chicken wire and got blood poisoning if I remember. I always thought it was one of the stranger soap exits.

A lot of the actors who were on Home and Away (and went on to do better things) have made disparaging remarks about it after they left. Sacha Baron Cohen's wife acted in it as a teenager and she slagged it off big time in later years. I don't know why that is, you'd think they would be grateful, it gave them their first break after all. Maybe they are bitter because they felt exploited; I read they had to work long hours and were not paid well (as I mentioned already).

I think people would know who Isla Fisher is, by name, as opposed to just being Baron Cohen's wife

Chris Hemsworth and Margot Robbie two of the biggest talk fondly of their soap pasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Maybe Aussie soaps just compare more favourably with by-the-numbers superhero movies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

What does she have to say anything publicly, maybe she sent a private message to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Director David Von Ancken has died aged 56, RIP.

He worked on and directed episodes of Oz, Without a Trace, The Shield, Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, The Following, Intelligence, House of Lies, MacGyver, The Crossing and The Purge. He directed seven or more episodes each of CBS’ Cold Case and CSI: NY and Showtime’s Californication.

He was also producing director, helming multiple episodes and executive producing series spanning different genres including WGN America’s Salem, Spike’s mini Tut starring Ben Kingsley, AMC’s Hell on Wheels, CBS’ Code Black, Syfy’s Ghost Wars, ABC’s The Crossing and Netflix’s The Order. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dusty Hill, a founding member of the Band ZZTop has passed away. For me, their videos were the main reason to watch MT-USA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

Early reports coming in that Thea White, the voice of Muriel in Courage the Cowardly Dog has died, aged 81.

RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement