Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stroller Help

Options
  • 10-07-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

I'm looking at a stroller for my nearly 10mth old LG & im totally lost!

When it came to her buggy I knew from day one I wanted the icandy however with strollers I don't know anything! I keep looking at the babyzen yoyo because it's the only stroller I know anything about as every blogger seems to have it at the moment! However it is quite pricey and the seat doesn't look that deep..so a bit unsure..

It would mainly just be for trips to town as I'd use her icandy for local walks/rough terrain.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

I have a 13 month old and I am looking at getting a light stroller. I am considering the yoyo but only because I live abroad and travel home regularly and i would need something cabin approved. Have you looked at the mountain buggy nano? or the laya (not sure if this is available at home?) anyone i know that has a yoyo or mountain buggy are very happy with them. I'm trying to think ahead and i'm thinking the yoyo easily takes the car seat i have with adapters. We have a bugaboo, but my son hated the bassinet and i can't be arsed with it as a stroller. We mostly only used it with the car seat when he was little. We use a carrier most of the time now, as i prefer to be hands free and its just really handy. The mountain buggy can also take a car seat but the straps put me off. It has a higher weight limit than the yoyo which might be something to consider. I would go for the laya in a shot but it takes the pebble only and i have a cabriofix. The yoyo seems to be the current 'it' stroller, i think unless you do lots of travel its probably not necessary to spend that much.
    http://www.justkidding-me.com/ae/justessentials-laya-stroller
    https://mountainbuggy.com/me/Products/buggies/nano#.WWS6X4SGOUk
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We're in the same boat actually. Have a bugaboo chameleon which I adore and has done us two kids (4 & 1) but we do a lot of travelling up and down the country and recently got a dog so the bugaboo is taking up too much space in the boot.

Have looked at the yoyo and think we are going to get it. Like you I'd only seen it used by bloggers so was unsure but after testing it out I'm impressed. We're flying to NY at Christmas and I like the idea of being able to fold it and put it in the overhead. We've flown with the bugaboo a few times and my heart is always in my mouth watching it go in the hold!!

Was wondering about any other suggestions though, at the moment the yoyo seems to be the most compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a boring old maclaren, that's on the go since my 5 year old was nearly one, and it's stood the test of time. It folds easily, is very durable, has a strap for carrying and it's big enough that it lasts as long as they need a buggy. Obviously my 5 yo doesn't use it anymore, but his little brother does!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey, I posted up this link in another thread and the bargain thread....

https://traleenurserysupplies.com/pram-pushchairs?product_id=475

We were in a similar boat to you. Sick of putting buggie in/out of car all the time and just wanted something small/light for nipping around town/shops. We looked around and couldn't believe some of the prices (€400+) for strollers that were almost as big and bulky as the buggie we already have! We still have our original buggie with the stroller style seat that we use for longer walks and rougher terrain but the stroller I linked there has been great so far. It just stays in the boot of the car and is handy for quick trips. It takes a little getting used to opening it out but it quite compact when closed down. Only real negative about it is the lack of under seat storage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Silver cross micro here, bought second hand on done deal.Huge hood, full recline, carrier handle.Great little second buggy.I heard good things about the Joie mirus too.
    Wuffy why are you bothering to think about car seats fitting at this stage?At 13 months that's surely not an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have the joie mirrus, or rather my childminder does since she commandeered it lol. She has recommended it to all her friends apparently. It doesn't fold as small as some but its single hand up/down, comfortable and incredibly light. 2.5 year old still happy out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have a MacLaren quest. My 3 year old is like a king getting pushed around in it!! He loves it!!
    It is very sturdy and regularly gets bashed around!
    Everything comes off it and goes in washing machine too.
    My neighbour gave it to me ;)
    She used it on her child until he was almost 5!!! And I will use it now for when new baby gets older ;)

Millem wrote: »
    We have a MacLaren quest. My 3 year old is like a king getting pushed around in it!! He loves it!!
    It is very sturdy and regularly gets bashed around!
    Everything comes off it and goes in washing machine too.
    My neighbour gave it to me ;)
    She used it on her child until he was almost 5!!! And I will use it now for when new baby gets older ;)

I did not know the bits went in the washing machine. I was scrubbing at mine earlier with a nail brush, but it never looks quite clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I have the joie mirrus, or rather my childminder does since she commandeered it lol. She has recommended it to all her friends apparently. It doesn't fold as small as some but its single hand up/down, comfortable and incredibly light. 2.5 year old still happy out in it

Bought this on Mirrorwall's recommendation and the big buggy that cost colossal money hasnt been used since! Fantastic little stroller. Only €125 in argos at the time.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I did not know the bits went in the washing machine. I was scrubbing at mine earlier with a nail brush, but it never looks quite clean!

Yes everything :)
    I have only washed it once when I got it off neighbour and there was one part that I struggled with but googled and got it off!!! Mine is spotless! It is green/lime and black one
    I just bought cheapo rain over for it in argos as it think she had ripped original one!

• Advertisement

Yes everything :)
    I have only washed it once when I got it off neighbour and there was one part that I struggled with but googled and got it off!!! Mine is spotless! It is green/lime and black one
    I just bought cheapo rain over for it in argos as it think she had ripped original one!

I am totally going at mine now next week when my minder is back from hols and I have a bit of time to think! Mine is a silver/black colour, and the silver seat bit always looks grubby. No wonder really, it's five years old!
    Thanks!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I am totally going at mine now next week when my minder is back from hols and I have a bit of time to think! Mine is a silver/black colour, and the silver seat bit always looks grubby. No wonder really, it's five years old!
    Thanks!

It will come up fab from Washing machine!
    You may need to do a bit of googling to figure out harness! Or you might get it straight away! I am desperate at figuring out those things. Once you get off seat there is like some other support fabric that you have probably never seen?? I just washed that down with warm water and detergent by hand. It's a tiny amount of shiny fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

shesty wrote: »
    Silver cross micro here, bought second hand on done deal.Huge hood, full recline, carrier handle.Great little second buggy.I heard good things about the Joie mirus too.
    Wuffy why are you bothering to think about car seats fitting at this stage?At 13 months that's surely not an issue?

​Thinking about No 2! :eek: Trying to buy and be somewhat future proof. I know a few people that just used the yoyo or mountain buggy from day 1, with the car seat and newborn cocoon. Taking the car seat would be handy and mean i could ditch the bugaboo altogether.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

:-) Oh I see.Our vista does for our two, plus a second hand double out and about nipper off donedeal.
    Don't rule out donedeal OP, its truly amazing what people sell on it brand new!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

wuffly wrote: »
    ​Thinking about No 2! :eek: Trying to buy and be somewhat future proof. I know a few people that just used the yoyo or mountain buggy from day 1, with the car seat and newborn cocoon. Taking the car seat would be handy and mean i could ditch the bugaboo altogether.

One of the women from my antenatal group used the Yoyo from birth with the 0+ fabrics. She was travelling a lot (in Paris at least once a month due to work, she went back when baby was 2 months old) and swore by the fact that it could be folded to cabin baggage size.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

has anyone ever used the BabyLo Scat Stroller? Seems to fold down nice and neat but price wise seems to good to be true? Very reasonable versus the Yoyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RubyB82

Kathy22 wrote: »
    has anyone ever used the BabyLo Scat Stroller? Seems to fold down nice and neat but price wise seems to good to be true? Very reasonable versus the Yoyo.

I've seen this being advertised a lot recently would really like to know about it, price difference is huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

RubyB82 wrote: »
    I've seen this being advertised a lot recently would really like to know about it, price difference is huge!

We ended up buying it in Tony Kealys, it folds really small and has a handle to carry on your shoulders. It also reclines back for baby to sleep. The only things being is that it only goes to 15kg and the seat is not massive like say the silvercross pop but for what we need I think it will be fine. Its a really nice looking buggy and very light. I viewed the yoyo as well and tbh there is minimal difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Just to update this we got the babylo scat on your suggestion thanks Kathy! Perfect little stroller, compared to the bugaboo the one hand fold is brilliant and packing up the car for weekend trips is so much easier now with the extra space in the boot.

Smyths actually have it on offer at the moment for €119.99 and there is a €12 off €100 spend voucher at the moment. Serious bargain. It’s not available for home delivery but you can click and collect in a few stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Travel buggy that we have maxi cosy beginning to act up and we need to get a stroller. Car seat okay but when we put it into buggy arms not slotting in fully.

Heading out to Smyths toys to try one. Junior is 8 months and growing and we are travelling soon so looking for something light. Was looking at the Chicco OhLaLa Stroller Black Night

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/pushchairs-and-strollers/strollers/chicco-ohlala-stroller-black-night/p/163608

Mixed reviews about how baby sits. Also will use it for daily use and walks but don't want to spend crazy money.

Any recommendations

Cheers

• Advertisement

Travel buggy that we have maxi cosy beginning to act up and we need to get a stroller. Car seat okay but when we put it into buggy arms not slotting in fully.

Heading out to Smyths toys to try one. Junior is 8 months and growing and we are travelling soon so looking for something light. Was looking at the Chicco OhLaLa Stroller Black Night

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/pushchairs-and-strollers/strollers/chicco-ohlala-stroller-black-night/p/163608

Mixed reviews about how baby sits. Also will use it for daily use and walks but don't want to spend crazy money.

Any recommendations

Cheers

No experience of the buggy but spotted maclaren m1 for €85 and m2 for €60 in argos. Good reviews on youtube but mixed reviews from uk argos site!
    Was half thinking of buying one for Spain.

No experience of the buggy but spotted maclaren m1 for €85 and m2 for €60 in argos. Good reviews on youtube but mixed reviews from uk argos site!
    Was half thinking of buying one for Spain.

Yeah mixed reviews with some saying they are quite heavy so will have a look at these to see. Was looking at something that is quite light and compact. All good but more about personal prefrences

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m on a similar search at the moment. Thinking about either the Joie Mirus or the Joie Pact. The Pact is light (not as light as the Chicco though) and compact but apparently the seat is a bit small. The Mirus can parent face (but is a bit difficult to steer) and since my little boy is only 6 months I’d prefer that option. I’m going to take a trip to Tony Kealys to have a look (and lift) of a few.

Yeah mixed reviews with some saying they are quite heavy so will have a look at these to see. Was looking at something that is quite light and compact. All good but more about personal prefrences

Cheers

look up you tube reviews.
    I have a city mini but am afraid to bring it in case it gets wrecked from baggage handlers!!

Will have a look but in work so could be difficult :D

Problem with Argos you can't really see them until you get them home. Going to try Smyths and Eurobaby and Tony Kealys

Saw a few travel bags for wrapping buggies in so may look at them.

City Mini although good just a tad expensive :p

Thanks

Will have a look but in work so could be difficult :D

Problem with Argos you can't really see them until you get them home. Going to try Smyths and Eurobaby and Tony Kealys

Saw a few travel bags for wrapping buggies in so may look at them.

City Mini although good just a tad expensive :p

Thanks

I bought city mini online much much cheaper. paid €280 for their footmuff, raincover and buggy. It’s great bought it for car when baby was born as wouldnt put tiny baby in maclaren! Much better for older child.

Found out this week Husband threw out the maclaren quest in the midst of a clearout :(

I might go into argos ask to view them.....haven’t booked flights yet and still need to get baby passport!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I have bugaboo, but planning on going on holidays when baby is 4 months and was looking at the maclaren quest, it says OK from newborn but is that just for occasional use or when do you think you would start using it?

kastasia wrote: »
    I have bugaboo, but planning on going on holidays when baby is 4 months and was looking at the maclaren quest, it says OK from newborn but is that just for occasional use or when do you think you would start using it?

I found my boy slumped in the maclaren quest and slid down when he was young. Can’t remember when this stopped but I would say over 1 tbh.
    Didn’t even try new baby in it bought a city mini when he was very young for car as have a bugaboo cameleon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I thin it depends on why you need a stroller? where will it be used etc
    I hate strollers but ove buggies and prams :)
    We had to get a small stroller for creche and got a Petit Zia,it was pretty good.
    The out n about nipper is a buggy but light and folds easy and it is brilliant.

Advertisement