Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application for naturalisation

Options
  • 01-07-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello

Wasn't sure where to place this thread, but I am interested to hear from people who've applied for Irish citizenship through naturalisation in the past six months or so. I've submitted my application form (along with my original passport, etc) at the beginning of May and have yet to hear back from the Department. How long does it usually take for them to send the first acknowledgement letter? How long to process applications and receive a decision?

I am more curious about how long have ye waited to receive your original documents because it's going on 8 weeks for me now, and I was planning to go somewhere sunny at the end of July - can't plan anything without me passport with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Applied November, got passport back in post after 3 weeks.
    In March I got letter confirming that application went through first stage which was documents check, and now is to next stage which normally takes around 6 months.
    Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BabyJane17

thanks for sharing, i thought the whole process takes about 6 months? I will write them an email to ask about the documents, may as well go on holidays and relax while I'm waiting for the decision.
    I'm not sure whether the basis on which people are applying makes any difference? I'm just curious why it's taking this long to get the acknowledgement letter.
    CiniO wrote: »
    In March I got letter confirming that application went through first stage which was documents check, and now is to next stage which normally takes around 6 months.
    Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BabyJane17

thanks for sharing, i thought the whole process takes about 6 months? I will write them an email to ask about the documents, may as well go on holidays and relax while I'm waiting for the decision.
    I'm not sure whether the basis on which people are applying makes any difference? I'm just curious why it's taking this long to get the acknowledgement letter.
    Still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Still waiting.

My wife applied Jan 2016, took her oath Sept 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 yzmnzr123

I have applied in Feb 2017, received the passport in a few weeks. I'm still waiting for the documents check letter (however a few friends told me that they have never got that letter and just the invite to the ceremony). Is is impossible to know the ETA? I've seen people who got it in 4.5 / 6 / 9 and 11 months, so I guess it depends on the time of the year you've applied as well, but I'm hearing there are people who are waiting for a year now. Is there no way of telling what's the current processing queue like? Is it because of Brexit are they having a rough time processing more applications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 zedster

Hi, Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread! I applied in April 2017. I got my passport back with a receipt within a few weeks and have heard nothing since. I did email to ask but just got a reply saying it is being processed.
    Just wondering if any of you guys have an update on your applications?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Hiddden

zedster wrote: »
    Hi, Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread! I applied in April 2017. I got my passport back with a receipt within a few weeks and have heard nothing since. I did email to ask but just got a reply saying it is being processed.
    Just wondering if any of you guys have an update on your applications?

Thanks
    Hey. Did you eventually hear anything from them? I applied Feb 17, have been waiting since then and still nothing. I am wondering if they have already sent out the invitation letters for the ceremony on May 21. They say they send it 4, 5 weeks ahead, but there has been no upates on th site with the list of the applicants confirmed for the ceremony (they had this for the previous ceremony).

It is partly due to Brexit that they have slowed down, but how slow? I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Do they return all the supporting documents you send in with the application? If so, at what point is it returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hiddden wrote: »
    Hey. Did you eventually hear anything from them? I applied Feb 17, have been waiting since then and still nothing. I am wondering if they have already sent out the invitation letters for the ceremony on May 21. They say they send it 4, 5 weeks ahead, but there has been no upates on th site with the list of the applicants confirmed for the ceremony (they had this for the previous ceremony).

It is partly due to Brexit that they have slowed down, but how slow? I want to know.

I don't think it has anything to do with Brexit.

Before even being invited to the ceremony you will be sent a letter asking to pay the 950 Euro fee and provide any updated documentation (if any)

If you have not heard anything at all since you applied in Feb 2017, I would suggest giving them a call.

As for being included in the May ceremony, I would doubt it, unless you have already received the letter to notify you of intention to grant and requesting payment of the 950 Euro fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Just wondering - did people just send in their applications using an post, or did you use a courier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

seagull wrote: »
    Just wondering - did people just send in their applications using an post, or did you use a courier?

Registered Mail, and check the An Post site a week or so later and got a copy of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zedster

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard anything? I am 15 months waiting now! I have emailed a couple of time. The same kind of reply... your application is being processed ect ect...,
    It’s so frustrating as I now don’t have a passport and I’ll have to pay £90 to get a new one from the U.K. 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

I sent my application by standard post but with tracking, the lady explained to me it costs the same so just went with it. I got confirmation it had been delivered on the 12th June. Got my both expired and current passport back today so I'm happy there's some progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

zedster wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard anything? I am 15 months waiting now! I have emailed a couple of time. The same kind of reply... your application is being processed ect ect...,
    It’s so frustrating as I now don’t have a passport and I’ll have to pay £90 to get a new one from the U.K. ��

It just takes long. Don't get too frustrated :)

They warn from the very beginning that while average waiting time is over 6 months, some cases might take considerably longer.
    I waited 11 months.

I'm sure you'll get your decision soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The delay is often security checks with your home country, I know of someone whose application took almost 3 years because of security checks (and a very common name) from his home country. Not all police forces are efficient or keep good records.

Advertisement