Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling old paint and garden pots

Options
  • 28-06-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've just been out to the recycling centre in Enniscorthy for the first time in a few years to drop some stuff. The guy working there informed me they no longer take 'old hard plastic' ie flower pots or garden furniture. Any idea what to do with this? It seems crazy to send it to landfill.

Also paint cans, I've heaps some fullish. And timber, doors, off cuts etc. Any ideas on what to do with this stuff in Wexford area? I'm clearing out my shed

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭cobham

I amalgamated a load of half empty paint cans in various neutral shades... it make a decent pot and looks grand for keeping garden walls smart. Ordinary indoor vinyl emulsion seems to be fine outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

cobham wrote: »
    I amalgamated a load of half empty paint cans in various neutral shades... it make a decent pot and looks grand for keeping garden walls smart. Ordinary indoor vinyl emulsion seems to be fine outdoors.

Thanks, unfortunately I've no walls to paint I'm out in the countryside.
    I guess I'll have to start adding this stuff to the waste bin. I'd be interested to hear what painters do with leftovers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

pedro7 wrote: »
    Thanks, unfortunately I've no walls to paint I'm out in the countryside.
    I guess I'll have to start adding this stuff to the waste bin. I'd be interested to hear what painters do with leftovers

Pour them into a ditch or down a drain in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭cobham

Our local dump/recycling centre has a special place to leave tins of paint.

How about donating to someone who might use? Community centre/school? A base neutral mix is useful also to knock back a dark colour to redo in final lighter coat.

Perhaps a paint sales outlet has idea or will take back paint. Please do not put in drain/ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The recycling centre at Holmstown near Barntown will take paint. I brought a load of leftovers there a few weeks ago, up to 20l cost a fiver, but don't mix them:

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/waste-and-recycling/recycling-and-waste-disposal-centres/wexford-recycling-centre-holmestown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Thanks! Strange the one in Wexford accepts different stuff to Enniscorthy. Same company!
    I wouldn't Chuck them into the environment. Hence why I'm here.

Anyone got any thoughts on where to recycle old plastic flower pots? It seems alot of these places won't recycle unmarked plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

pedro7 wrote: »
    Thanks! Strange the one in Wexford accepts different stuff to Enniscorthy. Same company!
    I wouldn't Chuck them into the environment. Hence why I'm here.

Anyone got any thoughts on where to recycle old plastic flower pots? It seems alot of these places won't recycle unmarked plastic.

Last year I had a couple of old garden chairs broke them up and dumped them in the recycling bin

Old paint I did give it away to someone who needed to fresh up their house but didn't have the money for it
    They were happy with my leftovers
    mixed them all up and had plenty to do their kitchen and livingroom

Advertisement