Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your favourite Podcasts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Second Captains
    Off the Ball
    The Gaa Hour
    An Irishman Abroad
    Ireland Unfiltered
    Marathon Talk
    LOI Weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MzMurfy

Expanded perspectives podcast is great. two lads that cover some fascinating topics, eg mothman and Amelia Earhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

2 Johnnies Podcast is excellent. Easy listen to and quite funny. Topping the Irish Podcast Charts every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

2 Johnnies Podcast is excellent. Easy listen to and quite funny. Topping the Irish Podcast Charts every week.

Agreed on the 2 Johnnies. I'm usually not a fan of the "Facebook famous" types but the podcast with the two lads and Maura is very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Planet money by NPR is always interesting even if you are bored by finance etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

deisedude wrote: »
    Marathon Talk

How's that? iirc, you ran DCM last year. I found one called Strength and Conditioning Journal podcast which is more so geared to S&C professionals, coaches and probably an academic audience. I don't want to get too hooked on a running one in case it puts things in my head.

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Pages/podcastepisodes.aspx?podcastid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

How's that? iirc, you ran DCM last year. I found one called Strength and Conditioning Journal podcast which is more so geared to S&C professionals, coaches and probably an academic audience. I don't want to get too hooked on a running one in case it puts things in my head.

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Pages/podcastepisodes.aspx?podcastid=1

I ran DCM 2017 and training for Cork now but that being said the name of the podcast is misleading as its a general running podcast.

I'd recommend to anyone interested in running not just training for a marathon. Good bit of banter between the hosts and they get some good guests. Clocks in around an hour and a half most weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

deisedude wrote: »
    I ran DCM 2017 and training for Cork now but that being said the name of the podcast is misleading as its a general running podcast.

I'd recommend to anyone interested in running not just training for a marathon. Good bit of banter between the hosts and they get some good guests. Clocks in around an hour and a half most weeks

I emailed the host of the S&C one. He noted I was emailing from Ireland and said the archive includes interviews with Daniel Caulfield and Ian Dunican. Also had one on GAA (hurling) from Aug 2018.

He recommended one called Moving2Live called too. http://www.moving2live.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

A few nobody has mentioned:

BBC Radio 4 A Good Read: Every week 2 guest celebrities and the host choose a book that the other panelists have to read and they discuss each one for 10 minutes each. It's interesting hearing the personal reasons why people choose certain books and it has given me ideas of books to read.

Savage Love Cast: Dan Savage is a gay advice columnist who answers questions phoned in by gay, straight and everyone else pertaining to personal and relationship issues relating to love, sex and partnership. Very interesting, I have a different take on my approach to relationships as a result.

Under the Skin with Russell Brand. Russell who is studying some aspect of religion and politics at UCL invites academics, philosophers, religious and spiritual practitioners and celebrities on his show for a chat about their areas of interest and expertise. Mostly very informative and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭benjy1000

The 2Johnnies is decent by times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I wouldn’t say I’ve any favourites but I’ve just started Mother’s of Invention (one of the presenters is Mary Robinson) and that’s interesting. It’s all to do with climate change.

Girls With Goals by Her.ie can be good if you know the guests. I never really have my attention caught by episodes where I don’t and end up turning off after a while as I don’t remember to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Adam Buxton

Blindboy

Nialler9

Kermode and Mayo

Infinite Monkey Cage

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikey3screens

The Celtic Craic Podcast is a good laugh, completely NSFW but these lads are gas...

They talk about the news, and have some funny anecdotes...
    The limerick slang they use is hilarious.

They are up on youtube and spotify..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Celtic Craic Podcast is a good laugh, completely NSFW but these lads are gas...

They talk about the news, and have some funny anecdotes...
    The limerick slang they use is hilarious.

They are up on youtube and spotify..

And you wouldn't happen to be involved in the podcast by any chance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dear Joan and Jericha
    - insane Julia Davis podcast, a fake advice show..acquired taste but I love it.

pilot tv
    - fun weekly tv podcast, some of the same people that do the empire podcast plus Boys Hilton.

Truth and movies
    - really excellent film podcast, fills the gap between kermode and mayo

Elis james and John Robin's
    - fun and silly chats, only recently moved from radio x. I particularly like the shame well feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

Run To The Top
    The Big Travel Podcast
    Desert Island Discs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

No Agenda

Private eye

Here’s the thing with Alec Baldwin

Dogs and the city

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

The Financial Times read out some of their longer articles and investigations which are great as is their weekly political podcast. David McWilliam's podcast is good for the most part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

The Frank Skinner Show
    Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast
    In The Dark
    Joe Rogan (depending on the guest)

gmisk wrote: »
    Dear Joan and Jericha
    - insane Julia Davis podcast, a fake advice show..acquired taste but I love it.

excellent recommendation, brilliant/odd!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

KGC wrote:
    The Frank Skinner Show Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast In The Dark Joe Rogan (depending on the guest)

Yeah - In the Dark....the Jacob Wetterling case was great..
    Really eerie.
    Don't Google it if you don't want to know what happens at the end.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Yeah - In the Dark....the Jacob Wetterling case was great..
    Really eerie.
    Don't Google it if you don't want to know what happens at the end.

First episode of the Jacob Wetterling was very eerie for sure.....Just started on the second series. intersting in a different way

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Started listening to Dr. Death lately and I'm hooked. It's about a doctor who basically went rogue in a few operations, doing nothing like what he was supposed to. A few patients were killed and the others lives were changed forever. I'm pure shocked during the entire thing.

Started listening to Dr. Death lately and I'm hooked. It's about a doctor who basically went rogue in a few operations, doing nothing like what he was supposed to. A few patients were killed and the others lives were changed forever. I'm pure shocked during the entire thing.

starts off very well but I got to about 70% in and I was bored and didn't finish it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

glasso wrote: »
    starts off very well but I got to about 70% in and I was bored and didn't finish it.

I agree, it really lost it's way and dragged out a lot. I finished it but was disappointed by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Your Mom's House - Tom Segura and Christina P
    Joe Rogan Experience
    This American Life
    Radiolab
    WTF with Marc Maron
    Making Sense with Sam Harris
    Mondy Morning Podcast with Bill Burr
    Indie Film Hustle
    XOneBros

Some others I listen to the odd episode or I'm just getting it to:

Martech Podcast (it's a about digital marketing)
    The Economist for current affairs.
    Here's The Thing with Alex Baldwin
    Blank Check (in-depth movie reviews - mostly non-new releases)

A good one-off series was The Polybius Experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’ve a long flight ahead, and started listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History episodes on the 1st world war. I’d listened to some of his other work before, but this is a 26 hour opus. I’d forgotten just how incredible he is. The narration, research and historical contexts are like nothing I’ve listened to before.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I’ve a long flight ahead, and started listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History episodes on the 1st world war. I’d listened to some of his other work before, but this is a 26 hour opus. I’d forgotten just how incredible he is. The narration, research and historical contexts are like nothing I’ve listened to before.

Hardcore History is truly outstanding, pure quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Inside the black box - Inside The Black Box tells the story of the hours, minutes and seconds leading up to some of the worst aviation disasters in history. It looks at the investigations which followed and the lessons learned which keep us safe today.

I've listened to this the last few months and its really well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

KGC wrote: »
    excellent recommendation, brilliant/odd!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's filth lol
    Great fun

Advertisement