Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

2456730

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ twill


    I would imagine the case is being regarded as particularly severe because he groomed the girl. It's the act of a predator.


  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭ Richmond Ultra


    Was it the Croke Park incident dropped today by the state?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Fully accept and agree Candie.
    The only point I am trying to make, badly it seems, is that they are a bit different, both being crimes.
    Both groups deserve the full defence of the law and society.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭ eviltwin


    Candie wrote: »
    I was definitely a child at 14/15, no question. I was not equipped to deal with a predatory adult in any way and I wasn't precocious as is sometimes assumed with teen girls in these situations.

    I don't think you can say that about all teens though. I was very mature for my age and actually was sexually active before the age of consent with my boyfriend who was over the age of consent. Technically he was breaking the law but I wasn't being abused. So I don't like to assume all young teens engaging in sexual activity are victims. However, I think a grown man having sexual relations with a girl this young is vile, there is abuse there either by force or coercion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭ suicide_circus


    Ephebophilia is the attraction to mid aged teenagers but it's not classed as a disorder for obvious reasons. Acting on it is the crime.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ chicorytip


    No but he doesn't deserve to rot to death, he made a mistake. We call it abuse but it's perfectly legal in France and very close to it an hour from Dublin. I think calling it child abuse is a bit of a stretch, I didn't read anywhere she was forced. American Beauty springs to mind. I think he was a bored idiot. Maybe there's more that I missed.


    The exact circumstances and detail of what occurred are not yet known but he has pleaded guilty to six charges of defilement of a minor (child). It's not unsafe to assume that penile penetration took place and that the victim may have been plied with alcohol. So, how could this be described as anything other than statutory rape.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think you can say that about all teens though. I was very mature for my age and actually was sexually active before the age of consent with my boyfriend who was over the age of consent. Technically he was breaking the law but I wasn't being abused. So I don't like to assume all young teens engaging in sexual activity are victims. However, I think a grown man having sexual relations with a girl this young is vile, there is abuse there either by force or coercion.

    My point was that you can't say teenagers aren't children, some are. I was, you were obviously more developed than I was in at least some ways. They're legally children and while some of them might be sophisticated enough for their years, lots aren't.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,465 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    chicorytip wrote: »
    The exact circumstances and detail of what occurred are not yet known but he has pleaded guilty to six charges of defilement of a minor (child). It's not unsafe to assume that penile penetration took place and that the victim may have been plied with alcohol. So, how could this be described as anything other than statutory rape.

    As you said we don't have the detail. Probably will never have.

    There's loads of assumptions being throw out like your assumption she was plyed with drink and took the D (why are ye making up such stuff it's not based on any fact).

    It's quite possible he might not have been leading the dance. The photos were found and the whole **** house exploded.

    Someone mentioned the President of France earlier, Elvis also deserves a special mention as he fell in love with someone at the younger of the girls mooted age.

    He's not a pedo or a child abuser, he got in a mess with a young lady not of legal age. I don't buy all 15yr olds are dumb regardless of the poster who say they were dumb at 15.

    The asssumptions are vile to be honest. It's not healthy to be running those scenarios around your head based on nothing only your own thoughts.




  • A brilliant, utterly brilliant writer. He opened up worlds on that newspaper and was responsible for raising the standard of the entire sports department.

    As far as I see it if the man got 10 months or 10 years it's incidental. In our tiny society, his life is over. To have had so much respect, to have lost it all, and to face into every single day of the rest of your life conscious of that. Dead man walking. There are things we can all recover from - bankruptcy, addiction, broken marriage, cancer, etc - and then there is this. The man's name is worse than mud. You don't come back from this, ever. His life sentence began in 2011, and it won't end when he's physically released. Try live a day of your life without hope. Now try and find hope for this person's life after this. Nothing to gloat about here. Deeply saddening. Aside from the obvious destruction of two families, what an awful, awful waste.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭ retro:electro


    No but he doesn't deserve to rot to death, he made a mistake. We call it abuse but it's perfectly legal in France and very close to it an hour from Dublin. I think calling it child abuse is a bit of a stretch, I didn't read anywhere she was forced. American Beauty springs to mind. I think he was a bored idiot. Maybe there's more that I missed.

    Oh Jesus. It's abuse. Whether she's 14/15 or 10 or younger. She's a child in the eyes of the state. The circumstances of him having the pics don't matter. Whether she was coerced into sending them or obliged him doesn't matter. She was still abused. And then to top off your awful comments you compare this scenario to a Hollywood comedy- drama.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ twill


    As you said we don't have the detail. Probably will never have.
    Former Irish Times sports journalist Tom Humphries faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced shortly for grooming and engaging in sexual acts with a child.
    There's loads of assumptions being throw out like your assumption she was plyed with drink and took the D (why are ye making up such stuff it's not based on any fact).

    It's quite possible he might not have been leading the dance. The photos were found and the whole **** house exploded.
    Former Irish Times sports journalist Tom Humphries faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced shortly for grooming and engaging in sexual acts with a child.
    Someone mentioned the President of France earlier, Elvis also deserves a special mention as he fell in love with someone at the younger of the girls mooted age.

    He's not a pedo or a child abuser, he got in a mess with a young lady not of legal age. I don't buy all 15yr olds are dumb regardless of the poster who say they were dumb at 15.

    The asssumptions are vile to be honest. It's not healthy to be running those scenarios around your head based on nothing only your own thoughts.
    Former Irish Times sports journalist Tom Humphries faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced shortly for grooming and engaging in sexual acts with a child.
    Source


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ Jim Bob Scratcher


    I wonder would there be such anger if the sexes were reversed ? I highly doubt it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭ Arghus


    I wonder would there be such anger if the sexes were reversed ? I highly doubt it.

    Give it a break.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,465 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    I wonder would there be such anger if the sexes were reversed ? I highly doubt it.

    Francis and Leo now that would raise a few eyebrows.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭ tomwaterford


    As you said we don't have the detail. Probably will never have.

    There's loads of assumptions being throw out like your assumption she was plyed with drink and took the D (why are ye making up such stuff it's not based on any fact).

    It's quite possible he might not have been leading the dance. The photos were found and the whole **** house exploded.

    Someone mentioned the President of France earlier, Elvis also deserves a special mention as he fell in love with someone at the younger of the girls mooted age.

    He's not a pedo or a child abuser, he got in a mess with a young lady not of legal age. I don't buy all 15yr olds are dumb regardless of the poster who say they were dumb at 15.

    The asssumptions are vile to be honest. It's not healthy to be running those scenarios around your head based on nothing only your own thoughts.

    Why did he not delete the photos/block her number??
    Circumvent all this by telling her parents??


    To suggest hes an innocent bystander is at playing with the truth/spinning a yarn he isnt even attempting to



    Sharing over 10,000 msgs with a child is far beyond what is reasonable


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Grady Boyd


    Poor lad should have kept his burner phone well hidden


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭ humberklog


    I wonder would there be such anger if the sexes were reversed ? I highly doubt it.

    Anger? I don't get that from this story, not even on this thread. Can you link to clear signs of "anger" against TH in this case?

    Don't get me wrong- there probably is somewhere but I haven't seen it. Could you point in the direction that you've seen it?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ Jim Bob Scratcher


    humberklog wrote: »
    Anger? I don't get that from this story, not even on this thread. Can you link to clear signs of "anger" against TH in this case?

    Don't get me wrong- there probably is somewhere but I haven't seen it. Could you point in the direction that you've seen it?

    No need to over scrutinize my post, I was merely making a point if it was a middle aged woman and a teenage boy there wouldn't even be a thread about it on here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,465 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Why did he delete the photos/block her number??
    Circumvent all this by telling her parents??


    To suggest hes an innocent bystander is at playing with the truth/spinning a yarn he isnt even attempting to

    Why did he have to block her number? I've seen girls with infatuations, I'm just saying it's possible he was weak and possibly not a monster. I think to stand up and tell the truth would be a lot harder than putting your hands up in this situation and probably do him no good.

    Look I'm with you he broke the law and he abused a position of trust, as a parent I'd like the skin him as a man though I can see the complexity of the situation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭ Arghus


    No need to over scrutinize my post, I was merely making a point if it was a middle aged woman and a teenage boy there wouldn't even be a thread about it on here.

    If it was a former famous female journalist, you'd bet there would be!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭ humberklog


    No need to over scrutinize my post, I was merely making a point if it was a middle aged woman and a teenage boy there wouldn't even be a thread about it on here.

    There's no over scrutinising. It's your words. That's all. Any pointers to this "anger" you perceive?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ Jim Bob Scratcher


    Arghus wrote: »
    If it was a former famous female journalist, you'd bet there would be!

    And what would people be saying ? well done son, fair ****s lad

    All double standards


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,465 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    humberklog wrote: »
    Anger? I don't get that from this story, not even on this thread. Can you link to clear signs of "anger" against TH in this case?

    Don't get me wrong- there probably is somewhere but I haven't seen it. Could you point in the direction that you've seen it?

    The dude who wants him to Rot in jail, The girl mentioning knives and pepdo there's a few angry ones here.

    Your now officially my favourite mod, wish they all had your vision.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭ humberklog


    The dude who wants him to Rot in jail, The girl mentioning knives and pepdo there's a few angry ones here.

    Your now officially my favourite mod, wish they all had your vision.

    Yay!:pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭ Arghus


    And what would people be saying ? well done son, fair ****s lad

    All double standards

    What's your point exactly?

    What he did was wrong. Are double standards about a hypothetical more important to you than a crime commited by a person in reality?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭ up for anything


    If it were my 14/15 year old daughter he'd been grooming, he wouldn't have made it to prison and similarly if it were one of my sons at 14/15 and a middle-aged woman she wouldn't either. Kids of that age are not mature regardless of whether they think they are/were.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ Jim Bob Scratcher


    humberklog wrote: »
    There's no over scrutinising. It's your words. That's all. Any pointers to this "anger" you perceive?

    Actually you are nit picking what I said. I know what you are trying to do, so quit it.


  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭ humberklog


    Actually you are nit picking what I said. I know what you are trying to do, so quit it.
    k


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ Jim Bob Scratcher


    humberklog wrote: »
    k

    gman :pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭ humberklog


    Anyone know what happened in the 2nd case that was brought forward and dropped?


Advertisement