Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

St Helens, Adamstown

24

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    chazi_27 wrote: »
    It's been 8 weeks since I paid my booking deposit!
    Zoz wrote: »
    we paid the deposit on launch date on 1st july and no contracts since then

    Heads up folks, Contracts from vendor's solicitor arrived today. My solicitor is going to review them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoz


    Hi guys,
    Did you notice that the reported house size is different from the sum of the individuals rooms sizes in the brochure.

    For example the reported size for type 3 house is 139 sq m . But if i sum the sizes of bedrooms+livingrooms+kitchen+utility+landing+hall+bathrooms as reported in the brochure . I can see their sum is 125 sqm. So there is 15 sqm difference. Did you notice that ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    Zoz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Did you notice that the reported house size is different from the sum of the individuals rooms sizes in the brochure.

    For example the reported size for type 3 house is 139 sq m . But if i sum the sizes of bedrooms+livingrooms+kitchen+utility+landing+hall+bathrooms as reported in the brochure . I can see their sum is 125 sqm. So there is 15 sqm difference. Did you notice that ?

    May be back garden?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoz


    09_09_09 wrote: »
    Zoz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Did you notice that the reported house size is different from the sum of the individuals rooms sizes in the brochure.

    For example the reported size for type 3 house is 139 sq m . But if i sum the sizes of bedrooms+livingrooms+kitchen+utility+landing+hall+bathrooms as reported in the brochure . I can see their sum is 125 sqm. So there is 15 sqm difference. Did you notice that ?

    May be back garden?

    I dont think so. The garden size is around 70 sqm.

    may be the patio ? but is strange if the patio size is included as part of house size.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    09_09_09 wrote: »
    Heads up folks, Contracts from vendor's solicitor arrived today. My solicitor is going to review them.

    Thanks for the heads up.. will need to call my solicitor tomorrow to follow up..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    Zoz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Did you notice that the reported house size is different from the sum of the individuals rooms sizes in the brochure.

    For example the reported size for type 3 house is 139 sq m . But if i sum the sizes of bedrooms+livingrooms+kitchen+utility+landing+hall+bathrooms as reported in the brochure . I can see their sum is 125 sqm. So there is 15 sqm difference. Did you notice that ?

    Didn't really notice it until you mentioned it. Although that being said, at the bottom of the page it says the following but the ambiguity is which one is the approximate and which one is the actual
    Plans are for illustrative purposes only. Not to scale. Layouts may vary. Measurements are approximate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ Keller Bear


    Zoz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Did you notice that the reported house size is different from the sum of the individuals rooms sizes in the brochure.

    For example the reported size for type 3 house is 139 sq m . But if i sum the sizes of bedrooms+livingrooms+kitchen+utility+landing+hall+bathrooms as reported in the brochure . I can see their sum is 125 sqm. So there is 15 sqm difference. Did you notice that ?

    139sqm is the gross floor area i.e. the area measured inside the finished external wall. this includes the stairs, h/p, stores etc even the stud partitions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chazi_27


    I got my contract today...and I'm totally overwhelmed!

    Did anyone from the previous development request clarification/ changes to their contract? Is there anything we should be looking out for? I've been reading the Fourth Schedule for hours and I still can't get my head around it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    dang, talked to my solicitor today, still haven't got the contract yet :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    chazi_27 wrote: »
    Did anyone from the previous development request clarification/ changes to their contract? Is there anything we should be looking out for? I've been reading the Fourth Schedule for hours and I still can't get my head around it!

    Have a look at the Alderlie thread, might find something there.. I'll start going through it myself soon enough.

    I myself am particularly interested to find out whether it is possible to change bath to a standing shower in the main bathroom.. don't really mind to if it doesn't cost much as we never really use the bath


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chazi_27


    Same as that with the bath... the lack of proper shower is a disaster! I was hoping to get a proper copy of plans to show to a plumber to get a rough idea of how big a job it would be to put in a shower but no such luck!

    I have been advised though not to completely remove the bath as it could impact future sale of the house...family's with small kids prefer a bath...I'm not convinced though

    I'm thinking about putting a different tile on the kitchen too so I'd like them to leave the wall bare instead of putting on the generic tile


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    yeah my parents also mentioned about resale in future. To be honest, I have no plan to sell in the next 7-10 years so wouldn't really affect it for me. I'm not convinced either, especially with all the water conservation going on but mostly because we never use it.

    As for kitchen tiles and everything else, I planned to keep it the same. Don't intend to do any work for a few years yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chazi_27


    I just spent a while going through the Alderlie thread and saw very little info on modifications so I just posted a question to see if any one got any modifications approved...i'll let you know if I hear anything!


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    chazi_27 wrote: »
    I just spent a while going through the Alderlie thread and saw very little info on modifications so I just posted a question to see if any one got any modifications approved...i'll let you know if I hear anything!

    I was advised by the estate agent no modifications are allowed.

    You do not even get to choose your front/main door colour:o. The only option you will have is to select colour of paint.

    My solicitor says she won't furnish me a copy of the contract because document is quite extensive. Is it normal?

    She also suggested that I should lodge my application for full loan approval ASAP, but my bank adviser suggested I should lodge the application in the middle of December which will give me 6 months to complete the sale. My AIP will expire in January 2018. Any suggestion what should I do? Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LP2017


    Hi everyone, re: contracts we are concerned that vendor will not accept contracts subject to loan...are your solicitors trying to do anything about it? Many thanks!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoz


    Hi guys,
    is there any progress in the site ? Did they start building ? I last visited one month ago and they didnt start any work yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Paulzp


    chazi_27 wrote: »
    I got my contract today...and I'm totally overwhelmed!

    Did anyone from the previous development request clarification/ changes to their contract? Is there anything we should be looking out for? I've been reading the Fourth Schedule for hours and I still can't get my head around it!

    I tried to clarify contract, making it more specific (include floor plans or approximate floor area!). I also think the contract is ridiculously vague. But all my questions and proposals were ignored (by my or their solicitor). Their position is: now it is seller market as demand much higher than supply so accept it or other people will gladly accept it
    :mad:

    Here is document with questions I sent to my solicitor:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vfngzd9Qng9Uea45YCFmqtwTLo0XpihkwbPyvr2SPHA/edit?usp=drivesdk


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    Paulzp wrote: »
    I tried to clarify contract, making it more specific (include floor plans or approximate floor area!). I also think the contract is ridiculously vague. But all my questions and proposals were ignored (by my or their solicitor). Their position is: now it is seller market as demand much higher than supply so accept it or other people will gladly accept it
    :mad:

    Here is document with questions I sent to my solicitor:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vfngzd9Qng9Uea45YCFmqtwTLo0XpihkwbPyvr2SPHA/edit?usp=drivesdk

    I have gone through your documents and below is my opinion on two things;

    1st - I am afraid we cannot have fixed service charge. The annual charge will be based on the budget of that year so you cannot put any kind of cap on it. On top of that, the company will have a separate sinking fund so I am not sure if we will have to pay separate levy for it.

    2nd - I do not think the developer will allow us to put floor plans or the exact size of the house in the contracts. Just in case if your house is slightly different in size or shape then this will allow you to sue/hassle them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Paulzp


    09_09_09 wrote: »
    I have gone through your documents and below is my opinion on two things;

    1st - I am afraid we cannot have fixed service charge. The annual charge will be based on the budget of that year so you cannot put any kind of cap on it. On top of that, the company will have a separate sinking fund so I am not sure if we will have to pay separate levy for it.
    Partially agree, but they could specify exact services (waste collection, ...) and approximate prices which could vary. Nothing could stop them (from legal point of view) to set any service charge once houses will be ready.
    09_09_09 wrote: »
    2nd - I do not think the developer will allow us to put floor plans or the exact size of the house in the contracts. Just in case if your house is slightly different in size or shape then this will allow you to sue/hassle them.

    That's the main problem, they could build literally whatever they want (from legal point of view), even 5x5 sq.m. house. I don't think they would change advertised plans a lot, but still, they could legally build a house 10-20-... sq.m. less than advertised.

    IMHO the main issue with contracts (not only this developer, but all or most developers in Ireland) that they doesn't contain any specific information, so from legal point of view it is not big difference comparing with signing blank paper.


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    Paulzp wrote: »
    Partially agree, but they could specify exact services (waste collection, ...) and approximate prices which could vary. Nothing could stop them (from legal point of view) to set any service charge once houses will be ready.

    I think you are getting confused. The developer will have no say in service charges in the future. The developer will set up a separate legal entity/Company Limited by Guarantee (CLG) and will transfer the responsibility to maintain common areas and waste collection to this CLG. The annual budget will be set by the directors and managing agent of this company which will be based on the annual expenditure. So if the costs go up such as insurance then your service charge will go up accordingly and vice versa. You as an owner will become a member of the company and should receive a copy of the financial statements annually so you can see where the funds/service charges are going. Also, you can try your luck at the AGM to become the Director of the company but, this is thankless and unpaid job.

    That's the main problem, they could build literally whatever they want (from legal point of view), even 5x5 sq.m. house. I don't think they would change advertised plans a lot, but still, they could legally build a house 10-20-... sq.m. less than advertised.

    IMHO the main issue with contracts (not only this developer, but all or most developers in Ireland) that they doesn't contain any specific information, so from legal point of view it is not big difference comparing with signing blank paper.

    Agreed.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭ PhoenixParker


    What's binding the developer to build the advertised property is the planning permission. That's your reassurance that you're getting what you've agreed to.

    It's far from perfect but it's something.

    Check the planning permission for the details and then ask your solicitor about including something relating to planning permission in your specs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    Paulzp wrote: »
    Partially agree, but they could specify exact services (waste collection, ...) and approximate prices which could vary. Nothing could stop them (from legal point of view) to set any service charge once houses will be ready.

    I got this a few weeks ago when i requested it.
    Service Charge and Management Company

    Savills has been appointed to act on behalf of the Management Company for St Helens Adamstown,
    Co Dublin. As agents, we will be looking after the maintenance of the external common areas on
    behalf of each home owner in the development. Our role will include the provision of a number of
    services, including;
    • Public liability insurance
    • Landscaping
    • Refuse collection
    • Street lighting
    • Drainage
    • Health and Safety
    We have drafted a budget to give prospective purchasers an indication of the service charges that
    they will be responsible for each year. The average charge as per the estimated budget is as follows;

    House Type | Size | Estimated Ave Charge P/A
    House Type 1a/1b | 110m2 | €575
    House Type 2 | 119m2 | €605
    House Type 3 | 139m2 | €670
    House Type 4 | 139m2 | €670
    House Type 5 | 132m2 | €650


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chazi_27


    Hi,
    I got a reply from the Alderlie forum. The developer wouldn't allow ANY modifications! They wouldn't even leave the skirting board off to allow floors to be put down!
    I'm meting my solicitor in the morning to discuss the contract as I feel it is very vague and I'm missing a load "clauses" that are referred to, but not available to read.

    Also, building has begun on the site...I was down at the show house on Saturday with my measuring tape taking dimensions as they haven't provided any with the contracts and I could see out the window that there are a few layers of bricks laid. The first part that was released of Phase 1 is due to be completed by April unless winter holds things up!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Evj


    Delighted to have found this forum, hopefully we can all help each out with queries and get a nice neighbourhood feel to the place before we all move in!

    I'm just wondering what completion dates people have been given? We booked in July during Phase 1 and were told June-July 2018. We went back down to the show homes at the weekend and we were told March-April for Phase 1 but to check with the main agent in Savills via email (which I've done but haven't had a response yet). I know they are all approx and most likely we could be looking at delays but March-April would be so much more preferable! We're on St Helen's Chase...if there are others on our road I'd be really interested to hear what you've been told. Also looks like our contract hasn't gone out yet, waiting to hear back from solicitor.

    Cheers all!


  • Registered Users Posts: 10 chazi_27


    I booked Phase 1 in July too and was told Feb/Mar for St Helens Drive. I was down there at the weekend and was told that the whole of Phase 1 should be completed by April provided the winter doesn't cause any delays, and that I should be on track for Feb/Mar


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    chazi_27 wrote: »
    I booked Phase 1 in July too and was told Feb/Mar for St Helens Drive. I was down there at the weekend and was told that the whole of Phase 1 should be completed by April provided the winter doesn't cause any delays, and that I should be on track for Feb/Mar


    I also booked in St Helens Drive in Phase 1 so hopefully we will be neighbours ;). Martina from Leahy told me the houses will be ready in second quarter of next year so not really sure about the completion date.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ lau1247


    Evj wrote: »
    Delighted to have found this forum, hopefully we can all help each out with queries and get a nice neighbourhood feel to the place before we all move in!

    I'm just wondering what completion dates people have been given? We booked in July during Phase 1 and were told June-July 2018. We went back down to the show homes at the weekend and we were told March-April for Phase 1 but to check with the main agent in Savills via email (which I've done but haven't had a response yet). I know they are all approx and most likely we could be looking at delays but March-April would be so much more preferable! We're on St Helen's Chase...if there are others on our road I'd be really interested to hear what you've been told. Also looks like our contract hasn't gone out yet, waiting to hear back from solicitor.

    Cheers all!

    Hi EVJ, I'm on St.Helens Chase too (might even be next door neighbour :)). I booked in mid August and I was told at the time the schedule is around March/April.

    Yeah so far I have no news on contract yet either. Judging by the pattern, only buyer of St.Helens Drive got the contract so far


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Evj


    Just an update on completion dates... there definitely seems to be a lot of dates being thrown about by the estate agents! After being told last weekend that March-April was the expected completion date for ALL of Phase 1 (which others on this thread seem to have been told too) I received a reply from someone else in savills today stating that our completion would be July for us.

    Seems strange that they can't all get on the same page about this! I can understand that some roads will be completed before others but there is a big difference between all houses being completed by Spring and then told that it's actually July. Others on our road have been told different (earlier) dates. He said that foundations have gone in on some houses so we'll really see them flying up over the next few months.


  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ 09_09_09


    Paulzp wrote: »
    I tried to clarify contract, making it more specific (include floor plans or approximate floor area!). I also think the contract is ridiculously vague. But all my questions and proposals were ignored (by my or their solicitor). Their position is: now it is seller market as demand much higher than supply so accept it or other people will gladly accept it
    :mad:

    Here is document with questions I sent to my solicitor:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vfngzd9Qng9Uea45YCFmqtwTLo0XpihkwbPyvr2SPHA/edit?usp=drivesdk

    Finally got the cover letter from Vendor's solicitor. Unfortunately, it clearly states they won't accept any alterations and amendments to the contracts. It makes our deposit insecure :mad:.

    They have provided provisional BER Certificate so we are okay with it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 linhdang


    Me too, I haven't see the contract yet. I'm on St Helens chase


Advertisement