Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naples for 9 nights- Advice on things to do

• 21-06-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭

Hi there, never been to Italy in any shape or form and looking for a few ideas to plan a bit of an itinerary.

Me and my girlfriend fly into Naples late on the first night in early July. By the sounds of things, our hotel is nice but in a rough area outside of the city. On the upside, it is close to the central railway station and subway.

Is it a good idea to just use the Naples hotel as a base to go to Amafi, Capri etc? Can the train be taken to the tourist spots? Don't plan on renting a car.

Might also consider a train and maybe a night stay in Rome.

Any hidden gems in that area worth talking about? Is Naples really as rough as some might say?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭k123456

Naples city v busy,and almost dangerous at junctions , cars everywhere with little regard for pedestrians. However I did not find the city center dangerous from a crime POV

City center has a quaintness and of course excellent pizzas

Amalfi coast amazing town and scenery

Herculaneum excellent and less busy than its famous neighbor Pompeii

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Go up Mount Vesuvius, the views of the bay of Naples are excellent, definitely go to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Appreciate the comments guys. Going on Monday, will give feedback here after the holiday, can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Can I ask how you got on?!
    Any recommendations?!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

I was gonna advise staying in Sorrento, but just realised this is an old post now.... the amalfi coast, positano or Capri is much nicer place to stay. In fact I'd say one of the nicest places in Italy is along the Amalfi Coast.

We visited Naples once and wouldn't rush back, it was dirty with rubbish piled up everywhere, and didn't feel very safe in parts of it .... I'd fly in and get the first train to someplace else outside Naples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Vesuvius
    Pompeii
    Amalfi Coast (defo get the bus journey there and if you are standing, you are in luck ;) ) Positano is unreal. one day is enough there I found, unless you want to pay through the roof for accommodation. Nice beach there.
    Sorrento is a nice little town too.
    The churches in Naples are brilliant.
    Santa Chiara is a hidden gem
    Go to the castles, especially sant Elmo as the walk there is an experience in itself. Bring water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

See Naples and die is apparently the saying I believe. To see:

The old city with its warren of streets and fabulous churches.
    Castel San't Elmo and Certose San Martino.
    Capodimonte museum.
    Capri-island.
    Caserta-fabulous palace about 40 minutes north of Naples by train.
    Sorrento/Amalfi-gorgeous coastline.
    Pompei.

Just a quick snapshot of the things to do. Naples is edgy but a fabulous city with wonderful pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'm years late replying to this but if anyone is searching, might be useful.

Naples is a forgettable enough city and the hotel we stayed in was decent but near the road and crazy Italian drivers and a prostitute across the way at night (same dress every night 🤢). It was slightly away from the centre though tbf.

As a base to either fly into and/or stay, it was excellent for Sorrento, Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius.

We even got the train to Rome for a night which sounds mad but fast trains between cities are terrific there, exceeding 400mph, only takes about an hour. Airbnb for Rome (at the time at least) was very cheap, we had a charming room high up in an old building for about 40 euro.

We went on a boat trip to Ischia as well. Bar some spa experiences, you are probably better off to go to Capri.

Advertisement