Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Mike Pence lawyering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ha, Kasowitz, Trump's lawyer telling WH staff they don't need attorneys. He'll hang them out to dry, if it comes to protecting Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Doesn't feel like him, if he replaced the Nice at the end with Sad! or Losers! it would fit his overall tone more. I'd give it a 2/10

Low energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Actually, looking at his twitter he's on a bit of a meltdown after being quiet for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Ha, Kasowitz, Trump's lawyer telling WH staff they don't need attorneys. He'll hang them out to dry, if it comes to protecting Trump.

I remember that! I'd imagine it makes it easier to throw people under the bus if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

When all else fails, blame Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

JRant wrote: »
    He's gone full Trumpmode tonight

the whole world would be done a favour if an aide grabbed his phone, dropped it, stood on it and offered his apologies for the accident

then they replace it with a Nokia 3310 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

BoatMad wrote: »
    the whole world would be done a favour if an aide grabbed his phone, dropped it, stood on it and offered his apologies for the accident

then they replace it with a Nokia 3310 !
    I don't know about the whole world, but it would certainly be a great favour to Trump. Twitter is his principal mode of self-harming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, for those posters that were pro-Trump because he'd reduce America's foreign military entanglements, after all, his opponent was such a horrid warmonger yadda yadda:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/u-s-sending-4-000-additional-troops-afghanistan-article-1.3251847

Quoting the SecDef: “We are not winning in Afghanistan right now. And we will correct this as soon as possible,” Mattis told the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier this week."

Yep, all that winning. Gotta have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

JRant wrote: »
    He's gone full Trumpmode tonight

When Hillary was obstructing justice there was a certain orange skinned troll bellowing 'Lock Her Up" from a podium.

The chickens are coming home to roost

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Akrasia wrote: »
    When Hillary was obstructing justice there was a certain orange skinned troll bellowing 'Lock Her Up" from a podium.
    Yes. And that if she was being investigated, there must be something to investigate.

Whereas when he's being investigated, it's the greatest witch-hunt in the entire history of the universe from the earliest of times to the present day without exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Just follow the money trail. I cannot believe the Republicians continue to fully support such a person as POTUS and the danger he poses for world security, if nothing else? He resorts to Twitter when he gets criticism or just rants. He annoys everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So Trump has appointed his sons wedding planner to oversee NYs federal housing programme. And of course they've absolutely no experience in the area.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-chooses-family-event-planner-run-n-y-housing-programs-article-1.3251314?utm_content=bufferf5ded&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes. And that if she was being investigated, there must be something to investigate.

Whereas when he's being investigated, it's the greatest witch-hunt in the entire history of the universe from the earliest of times to the present day without exception.

Yes indeed, What has Mr. Trump got to fear, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Just follow the money trail. I cannot believe the Republicians continue to fully support such a person as POTUS and the danger he poses for world security, if nothing else? He resorts to Twitter when he gets criticism or just rants. He annoys everyone.

Probably something like, "hurrhurrhurr, triggurrd libs!" Oh, and the massive tax cuts which he won't veto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Igotadose wrote: »
    Paywalls, bah. Any available links that aren't behind one?

The 1st story was the SP is investigating the finances of Jared Kushner and several other people on the Trump side, incl the usual names linked between his election and Russia, plus a fired Gen.

The 2nd was that Mr Hodgkinson weapons were legally purchased from a fire-arms dealer and the shooting was because he was angry with Don. The rifle was a 7.62 calibre, same cal as the FN, which is simply military standard. We, [that is the irish DF] replaced the FN with the lower cal Steyr A.U.G 5.56 cal years ago. I imagine the NRA lobbyists will keep their heads down for about a week around DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Same as Nixon, [deep throat to Woodward and Bernstein] just follow the money trail.

This is old news by now but it got the twittersphere into a bit of a spin.
    WASHINGTON – Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein today issued the following statement:

“Americans should exercise caution before accepting as true any stories attributed to anonymous ‘officials,’ particularly when they do not identify the country – let alone the branch or agency of government – with which the alleged sources supposedly are affiliated. Americans should be skeptical about anonymous allegations. The Department of Justice has a long-established policy to neither confirm nor deny such allegations.”

That came out at around 3 in to morning, Irish time, 10PM Eastern US time. I don't know how common it is to release such a thing at such a time. I'd have thought these were a working hours thing. I don't have a clue though.

The mention of country has people speculating that a foreign government agency has given some info to one of the major news orgs and that Trump is trying to get ahead of the story. Some are speculating about the peepee tapes. It's probably more mundane (by Trump standards anyway), though. He's probably aware of a breaking story and just got Rod to write something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

aloyisious wrote: »
    The 1st story was the SP is investigating the finances of Jared Kushner and several other people on the Trump side, incl the usual names linked between his election and Russia, plus a fired Gen.

The 2nd was that Mr Hodgkinson weapons were legally purchased from a fire-arms dealer and the shooting was because he was angry with Don. The rifle was a 7.62 calibre, same cal as the FN, which is simply military standard. We, [that is the irish DF] replaced the FN with the lower cal Steyr A.U.G 5.56 cal years ago. I imagine the NRA lobbyists will keep their heads down for about a week around DC.

As regards the second point, you're a bit off. It was a SKS, which is 7.62x39 rather than the FN's 7.62X51. It was military standard but Eastern bloc rather than Nato.

Going by the WP link.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/after-lawmaker-shooting-probe-seeks-clues-amid-trail-of-political-anger-left-by-attacker/2017/06/15/041ed736-51a9-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?utm_term=.d9a414544bf2

This is old news by now but it got the twittersphere into a bit of a spin.

That came out at around 3 in to morning, Irish time, 10PM Eastern US time. I don't know how common it is to release such a thing at such a time. I'd have thought these were a working hours thing. I don't have a clue though.

The mention of country has people speculating that a foreign government agency has given some info to one of the major news orgs and that Trump is trying to get ahead of the story. Some are speculating about the peepee tapes. It's probably more mundane (by Trump standards anyway), though. He's probably aware of a breaking story and just got Rod to write something up.

I would say it is more of a general comment than any specific story. Democracy is under real attack with all these "official" stories being leaked.

Take the leaking of Flynn's conversations, we still have no idea if there was a warrant to listen to his conversations and if not who/why was his name and details leaked by. This by itself is an extremely serious matter as if it is proved that the NSA or one of the other agencies was listening to private citizens conversations without a warrant and then leaking them for political reasons then it is a constitutional crisis that easily outweighs the Trump obstruction charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Trump's disapproval rating has jumped again, now on 64%. The only presidents with higher disapproval ratings have been Nixon (66%), Truman (67%) and Bush Jnr (71%). All three were out of office within about 6 months or those ratings, the latter two due to tenure where their parties suffered crippling defeats in the next election cycle while Nixon of course stepped down before getting impeached. That said, if it comes to it for him, I would put the house on Trump not stepping down under any circumstance and if imprisoned, claiming to still be the real POTUS while behind bars. Nixon whatever you want to say about him was always very savvy and pragmatic, Trump... not so much.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338092-trump-disapproval-hits-64-percent-in-ap-poll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There are people on twitter talking civil war if anyone tries to unseat trump. Not sure how serious they are but trump and his supporters are not going down quietly like nixon did we know that for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Billy86 wrote: »
    Trump's disapproval rating has jumped again, now on 64%. The only presidents with higher disapproval ratings have been Nixon (66%), Truman (67%) and Bush Jnr (71%). All three were out of office within about 6 months or those ratings, the latter two due to tenure where their parties suffered crippling defeats in the next election cycle while Nixon of course stepped down before getting impeached. That said, if it comes to it for him, I would put the house on Trump not stepping down under any circumstance and if imprisoned, claiming to still be the real POTUS while behind bars. Nixon whatever you want to say about him was always very savvy and pragmatic, Trump... not so much.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338092-trump-disapproval-hits-64-percent-in-ap-poll

I agree, I don't see Trump stepping down no matter what.

Being POTUS means he can't be prosecuted (AFAIK) so the only way is impeachment. For that to happen the GOP needs to be involved and they have shown no appetite for that.

Given that, at best, Trump is a recent convert to GOP, he will not really care about any long terms effects on the GOP. He will only be focused on himself. And however bad it might seem being POTUS, one only has to look at Nikon to see the long lasting effect it would have on him, and since he has involved his family, them by extension.

Far better to try to brazen it out.

I also don't see the core voters turning on him, no matter what, if anything the deeper he gets in the more rabbid his claims will be and the more they will be convinced it is a witchhunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

rossie1977 wrote: »
    There are people on twitter talking civil war if anyone tries to unseat trump. Not sure how serious they are but trump and his supporters are not going down quietly like nixon did we know that for sure

I wouldn't it put it past them if they're willing to stab two people to death for raising an objection to them spewing bile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

rossie1977 wrote: »

I certainly think we are seeing the end of the US. Maybe it is only the beginning of the end but certainly a move towards the end.

The US is becoming more deeply divided with every passing year. The gap between one side and the other gets wider and point scoring and protecting your team seems to be the goal rather than advancing the US.

Already US control over other parts of the world is diminished and will continue to fall off. The question is what will replace it, if anything.

Trumps move towards isolation and America First will only speed up the process across the rest of the world to move on without the US and the apparent continued fall in education will mean that US industry will start to fall behind.

Green energy is possibly the greatest example of that at the present time. But in areas such as space exploration (or better phrased orbital exploration) the US is starting to lose it dominance with the likes of China and the EU making great strides in the recent years together with the US moving away from investment.

Uk is facing into the same dilema. If the country doesn't even agree with itself how is it supposed to get others to agree with its position

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement