Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon France phone will not connect to USA mobile networks

Options
  • 12-06-2017 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this before please? Currently travelling in USA with my wife, first time this handset has been used in USA, was used in Europe and roaming was working fine. She has a moto g gen 3 purchased from Amazon.fr. The phone will not connect to any USA mobile networks. I have a Moto g gen1 and if we put her sim(30 day SIM eirmobile) into my phone(meteor PAYG) it works fine and will connect to USA networks. If I put my sim into my wife's handset it doesn't work and will not connect to any USA networks either. Has anyone any idea what the problem is please and how it can be fixed? It seems to be the config on her Moto g 3rd gen but I've no idea what.

All help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Looks like there are different versions of the Motorola Moto G (3rd gen), XT1540/XT1541/XT1548, with different band compatibility. Model number should be on the label

Your Motorola Moto G appears to cover the available bands where you are

Check compatibility here - http://willmyphonework.net/

The XT1541 has little compatibility that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

All help appreciated thanks.

Very weird as both AT&T and T-Mobile use regular GSM - frequency 1900 MHz and AT&T works on 850 MHz too, which is not used in Europe, but every handset over last 10 years should support those GSM frequencies.

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, which are not compatible.

-- edit

Indeed XT1541 does not support US at 3G at all, and support for regular GSM is probably switched off by now. What a joke...

AT&T have switched off 2G. T-Mobile still maintain it for roaming and for 2G-only devices but my phone didn't connect to T-Mobile at all while I was over there recently. Maybe Vodafone only have a roaming agreement with AT&T, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Karsini wrote: »
    AT&T have switched off 2G. T-Mobile still maintain it for roaming and for 2G-only devices but my phone didn't connect to T-Mobile at all while I was over there recently. Maybe Vodafone only have a roaming agreement with AT&T, not sure.

T-Mobile coverage is observed only in cities, and not all of them are converted from AWS (900/1700) to more standard 2G.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Thanks for all the info, currently in Hawaii and my wifes handset will not connect to the T-Mobile network, no others are detected, mine detects T-Mobile and at&t and will connect to at&t but not T-Mobile. Travelling on to Vegas next week so hoping it will somehow successfully connect to USA networks there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Confirmed her device is Moto G gen 3 XT1541 so is not compatible with pretty much everything in the USA :(

Advertisement