Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017 NBA Draft | June 22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I just have to think the no.1 pick in the draft should be worth more wins in a five man game. The consensus agrees with you on this so I'm likely wrong.

He can only defend one guy tho. He put up insane numbers but he's not a prospect at the level of Lebron or even KAT were coming out but the sixers don't really need him to be. Thats assuming Embid can actually ever play, tho i think they kept him out late last year when he defo could have come back in had they needed, same with Simmons.

Fultz defo has All Star potential and if he gets to that level then it was a good trade for Philly. I don't think it was a bad trade for the Celtics either tho you do feel they could have squeezed a bit more out of the sixers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Pyjamarama wrote:
    Fultz defo has All Star potential and if he gets to that level then it was a good trade for Philly. I don't think it was a bad trade for the Celtics either tho you do feel they could have squeezed a bit more out of the sixers.

If Fultz becomes a star in this league, It's obviously a bad look for Boston, If Boston take Jackson/Tatum and they are great, It looks good for Boston. Also you have to consider that if they hold on to some of thoes lottery picks and get a hot prospect like a Michael Porter Jr or Zion Williamson, who turn out to be great, It's a major win for Boston. Only time will tell who was the winner in this deal. My money is on Boston.

HigginsJ wrote:
    & can someone explain (in real laymans terms) what exactly the "triangle offense" is and why we are so obsessed with it? Does it suit Melo & KP?

It's a complicated thing to explain really, There are some great videos on YouTube of coaches explaining and demonstrating the triangle. It can be very effective when done correctly e.g Phill Jackson's Lakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

HigginsJ wrote: »

& can someone explain (in real laymans terms) what exactly the "triangle offense" is and why we are so obsessed with it? Does it suit Melo & KP?

Its literally a small triangle created between the Center, point guard(or another ball handler) and forward. The other two players are positioned in passing range and all 5 players can be involved in any play. The movements after that are very hard to explain in simple terms.

People are obsessed with it because Phil Jackson won 10 or 11 Nba titles running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Its literally a small triangle created between the Center, point guard(or another ball handler) and forward. The other two players are positioned in passing range and all 5 players can be involved in any play. The movements after that are very hard to explain in simple terms.

People are obsessed with it because Phil Jackson won 10 or 11 Nba titles running it.

But he had players of quality to run it as opposed to the collection of detritus that currently occupy MSG.

• Advertisement

The best of the big men. Both Johnathan Issac and Lauri Markkanen are expected to be drafted in the top 10, And both follow the trend of the modern bigman, with small forward skills and an ability to shoot the 3. Isaac is the better defender, although they both have defensive upside, And Markkanen is the better shooter, but Issac can also knock them down

It's Draft Day. Let the madness begin.

FYI the Draft is live on ESPN from 7pm ET (12 midnight Irish time)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,123 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Have little interest in the draft itself, most of these players will be forgotten about in five year's time, but the trades around it will be interesting to analyse. And then we get the real fun as player opt outs get finalised and free agency starts in earnest.

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Have little interest in the draft itself, most of these players will be forgotten about in five year's time, but the trades around it will be interesting to analyse. And then we get the real fun as player opt outs get finalised and free agency starts in earnest.

It's everything that surrounds the draft too, The trades, the moving picks, player options, franchise blow ups and rebuilds. The decisions made tonight could shape the NBA for the next few years. What happens with Butler, George, Griffin, KP, Hayward, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony etc. What will Cleveland, LA, Boston, New York, Indiana, Chicago etc do. Tonight we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,123 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agreed. The actual players picked themselves are easily the least relevant aspect of the whole shebang. Rack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Can't really complain that the warriors don't have a draft pick this year. Good chance they will buy a second round pick like last year, McCaw turned out to be a pretty decent player and played some vital mins in the finals.
    I think they 3.6 million to buy a pick, Celtics have a few high picks so they could be willing

I'll conceed. I think Lonzo Ball will be drafted by the Lakers tonight. As much as I didn't want to see it happen, wanted the insufferable Lavar Ball to be wrong. It really does look like it will happen. The departure of Russell sets the stage, If he is going to be great, there's no better place to do it. Wishing Lonzo the very best.

Final Draft Predictions

1. Markel Fultz to The 76ers
    2. Lonzo Ball to The Lakers
    3. Jayson Tatum to The Celtics
    4. Josh Jackson to The Suns
    5. DeAaron Fox to The Kings
    6. Dennis Smith Jr to The Magic
    7. Johnathan Issac to The T-Wolves
    8. Frank Ntilikina to The Knicks
    9. Malik Monk to The Mavericks
    10. Lauri Markkanen to The Kings

Most likely big names to go. Paul George to move somewhere,

Most likely big name to stay Jimmy Butler to stay in Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

What time is the first pick avtuslly in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

nerd69 wrote: »
    What time is the first pick avtuslly in?

Philidelphia are on the clock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jimmy butler traded to minnesota. First big deal done

1st Pick. Markel Fultz to Philadelphia
    2nd Pick. Lonzo Ball to The Lakers
    3rd Pick. Jayson Tatum to Boston
    4th Pick. Josh Jackson to Phoenix'
    5th Pick. DeAaron Fox to Sacramento
    6th Pick. Johnathan Issac to Orlando
    7th Pick. Lauri Markkanen to Chicago
    8th Pick. Frank Nitilikina to New York
    9th Pick. Dennis Smith Jr to Dallas
    10th Pick. Zach Collins to Portland
    11th Pick. Malik Monk to Charlotte
    12th Pick. Luke Kennard to Detroit
    13th Pick. Donovan Mitchell to Utah.
    14th Pick. Bam Adebayo to Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

That's a pretty major coup for Minnesota

Jimmy Butler traded to The T-Wolves for Zach, LaVine, Chris Dunn and the 7th pick. Minnesota will pick for Chicago at 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

lol Channing Frye comp.

The Bulls are a sh*t show.

NufcNavan wrote:
    lol Channing Frye comp.

NufcNavan wrote:
    The Bulls are a sh*t show.

I don't have confidence in his ability to excel at an NBA level. A great shooter but only time will tell.

Portland are also smoking crack.

Monk is a great pick up at 11. Could really be a quality NBA player.

I wanted him to fall to 18 but knew it wasn't gonna happen.

15th Pick. Justin Jackson to Sacramento

I'm so ****ing tired of all this stretch 4, stretch 5 pussy ball bull ****. Teams don't win titles by copying the rest of the league, especially when you don't have the calibre of players to play that style of ball. Differentiate yourself and force the small *** teams to match up to you.

TJ ****ing Leaf...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

What on earth were the Bulls thinking?! Butler gone for absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Meant to post this earlier, I was intrigued by the situation of Frank Mason III from Kansas before the draft. He won all the major college player of the year awards but apparently his 5ft 11 height is the main reason why he was pushed down the draft, was expected to go mid to late 50's.

He ended up going a good bit earlier, drafted 34th. Selected with De'Aaron Fox by the Kings, Sacramento have gotten themselves two nice point guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Warriors make a cash trade, sent 3.8 mill to bulls to get 38th pick and get Jordan Bell from Oregon. Warriors had him ranked as a first rounder so a great pick up.

From what I've read, it reminds me of when they signed Draymond, he is supposed to have great defense qualities.
    PAC 12 defensive player of the year I think

They also signed another big man that is coming off a injury, looking to beef up their big men

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote:
    I'm so ****ing tired of all this stretch 4, stretch 5 pussy ball bull ****. Teams don't win titles by copying the rest of the league, especially when you don't have the calibre of players to play that style of ball. Differentiate yourself and force the small *** teams to match up to you.

NufcNavan wrote:
    TJ ****ing Leaf...

It's not an easy time to be a Pacers fan.
    George on his way out the door, and for nothing if they don't trade now. George is also screwing them over on the way out, By publicaly saying he wants to go to The Lakers. He took away any leverage The Pacers might have had in negotiating a deal.

Advertisement