Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotel in Cork

Options
  • 01-06-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi folks,

So myself and himself are looking to take the kids to cork for 3 nights this summer preferably the 3rd week of aug, we've had our fair share of travelodges etc and now we want somewhere lovely

we seen cork international hotel at the airport and it looks amazing, it lacks the pool but makes up for it luxury however the only thing im concerned about is the location, we wont be driving and we wanted to take the kids one 5yr old and one baby she'll be 6months come aug, we plan on taking them to fota island and spike island.

so my question is do you think the cork international hotel is too far away from the city centre?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

the cork international hotel is in a business park and right opposite airport - not very holiday feeling !

its about 15 mins drive from city . Havent been in it for a while - wouldn't think its amazing but might be ok if you are not looking for nice grounds and that.
    have you tried Rochestown park hotel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If you stay in any of the city centre hotels you will have quite easy access to fota wildlife park and Cobh from Kent Station. Especially if you are near the train station in hotels like the Metropole, the Ambassador, The Imperial, The Clarion.

Another option is the Raddison Hotel in Little Island, this is adjacent to a stop on the train line and can bring you to the city centre, cobh, midelton and fota.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Why not try Fota Island resort? You can get very reasonable deals there. I believe you can take the train to Cobh then a taxi to the hotel for quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The River Lee Hotel is lovely too.
    It's a 15 minute walk to the city center, has a great pool.

You could also try the Clayton, it's a 15 minute walk to the train station, located right on the Boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RuasMum

Thanks very much for all of the advice, we've decided to stay clear of the international airport hotel but we have seen one in midleton, called the midleton park hotel, they have a great wee offer on but again not sure on location.

Do you reckon it would be a good base to stay if we were wanting to visit fota island and spike island?

I've had a look at some of the hotels mentioned above and I'm sold on almost all of them but money is a factor I have to consider and the midleton are doing 3 nights, b&b, dinner on 1 night, in a family room with tickets to fota for €440!!!

The average price in city centre is €470 3 nights no breakfast!!!

Again thanks in advance, all advise is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Why don't you try The Water's Edge in Cobh, it's a lovely little hotel. I stayed there before and it's right on the edge so close to the Spike Island tour and a minute or so from Fota. I do agree the centre hotels are fierce dear. Midleton hotel is fine if you can't secure a deal nearer Cobh I suppose but with kids you should be going nearer the places you want to visit.
    Cork International hotel does not have a family feel to the place and not the kind of hotel for a holiday, it's mainly used for people staying for flights and that and it's in a grim area.

There are other hotels in Cobh, some lovely little cafes too and restaurants. The Titanic bar and restaurant is there owned by the guy who won the Lotto and he did it up with pieces from the original boat. Plenty of people will cater for kids there, if you want to go to the city then it's like 15 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I haven't stayed in the Midleton Park for years (1990s) but I remember it as a lovely hotel. And Midleton is noted for its great choice of eateries.
    Fota thrown in, presumably including transport, would seem to make it very attractive.
    You don't say if you will be using a car, but if you google it Midleton and Cobh seem to be well connected by bus and train.
    I've stayed in the hotel at the airport before flying. I wouldn't know about swimming pool but it's much like all airport hotels, a bit functional. And given what you have expressed an interest in it's at the wrong side of the city for you.
    You don't say if Cork City is part of your plans.

Why don't you try The Water's Edge in Cobh, it's a lovely little hotel. I stayed there before and it's right on the edge so close to the Spike Island tour and a minute or so from Fota. I do agree the centre hotels are fierce dear. Midleton hotel is fine if you can't secure a deal nearer Cobh I suppose but with kids you should be going nearer the places you want to visit.
    Cork International hotel does not have a family feel to the place and not the kind of hotel for a holiday, it's mainly used for people staying for flights and that and it's in a grim area.

Hi, you are 100% right about staying closer to the places we want to visit esp with kids, but the deal I spotted in the midleton is very very good after looking at the city centre hotels and their prices, the midleton is very attractive, I'm just not sure of the location.

And again I agree :-) the watersedge is a lovely wee hotel we stayed there 2yrs ago, without the kids but this time around we were looking somewhere with a pool.

• Advertisement

RuasMum wrote: »
    Hi, you are 100% right about staying closer to the places we want to visit esp with kids, but the deal I spotted in the midleton is very very good after looking at the city centre hotels and their prices, the midleton is very attractive, I'm just not sure of the location.

And again I agree :-) the watersedge is a lovely wee hotel we stayed there 2yrs ago, without the kids but this time around we were looking somewhere with a pool.

The pool would make a massive difference. The Midleton Park hotel is in the town centre as far as I recall. They refurbished the place some time ago.

feargale wrote: »
    I haven't stayed in the Midleton Park for years (1990s) but I remember it as a lovely hotel. And Midleton is noted for its great choice of eateries.
    Fota thrown in, presumably including transport, would seem to make it very attractive.
    You don't say if you will be using a car, but if you google it Midleton and Cobh seem to be well connected by bus and train.
    I've stayed in the hotel at the airport before flying. I wouldn't know about swimming pool but it's much like all airport hotels, a bit functional. And given what you have expressed an interest in it's at the wrong side of the city for you.
    You don't say if Cork City is part of your plans.

Hi, thanks for the post.

We have completely ruled out the airport, considering that was maybe a moment of madness.

We are leaving the car at home which is why we're worried about the location of these hotels and I would jump on the offer at midleton but im holding back because I'm not sure of the location and how we would manage, our main activities would be visiting fota island and spike island and maybe a trip into town for town daddy to stock up on some Gloria jeans coffee.

What do you think, could we pull it off from midleton?

There are other hotels in Cobh, some lovely little cafes too and restaurants. The Titanic bar and restaurant is there owned by the guy who won the Lotto and he did it up with pieces from the original boat. Plenty of people will cater for kids there, if you want to go to the city then it's like 15 mins away.

I agree cobh is gorgeous, we stayed there two years ago, just the two of us but this time around we wanted a hotel with a pool for the little lad and the watersedge and the Commodore don't have that facility :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

RuasMum wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the post.

We have completely ruled out the airport, considering that was maybe a moment of madness.

We are leaving the car at home which is why we're worried about the location of these hotels and I would jump on the offer at midleton but im holding back because I'm not sure of the location and how we would manage, our main activities would be visiting fota island and spike island and maybe a trip into town for town daddy to stock up on some Gloria jeans coffee.

What do you think, could we pull it off from midleton?

Yes you will easily, but i would reccomend you research how the train works. There is a station in midelton its the end of that line. That can bring you to the city centre, however you can also get off at glounthaune(its a stop on the way to city centre) and swap to the cobh line, which also stops in fota.

The trains are very frequent from 6.30 am to 11pm, just get yourself a timetable and you will have no hassle.

The timetable can be a bit awkward to read but they are so frequent you will be grand.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/13_mallow_cobh_midleton_valid_from_20.11.2016.pdf

Yes you will easily, but i would reccomend you research how the train works. There is a station in midelton its the end of that line. That can bring you to the city centre, however you can also get off at glounthaune(its a stop on the way to city centre) and swap to the cobh line, which also stops in fota.

The trains are very frequent from 6.30 am to 11pm, just get yourself a timetable and you will have no hassle.

The timetable can be a bit awkward to read but they are so frequent you will be grand.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/13_mallow_cobh_midleton_valid_from_20.11.2016.pdf

Outkast_IRE you have been very helpful, we're going to book the midleton park hotel tomorrow, for the deal that they're offering it's to good to say no to and if we have to take an extra bus then so be it, thanks again for all the advice, you're good deed has been done for the day good sir :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Your best option would be Fota Island Resort. It's an amazing hotel and maybe if you can stretch the budget it would be an option. They have really nice facilities like pools and lovely grounds too.
    They will drop you to the train station to get the trains to either Cork city or go the other direction to Cobh to get the ferry to Spike Island.
    Also the wildlife park is right there on your doorstep too. You could stroll to the park but again they will chauffeur you there if you want.
    Also you have Fota House Arboretum and Gardens which is great for a stroll especially with the kids

However if you are restricted by funds Midleton Park is nice.
    The hotel is located about 12-15 walk from the train station. You get the train to Cork (takes 25 mins) or go 2 stops to Glounthaune and switch line to the Cobh service and you get to Fota train station (entrance to Wildlife Park is right there at the station) or carry on to Cobh to get to Spike Island.
    The hotel is about 10 mins walk to town centre and there is a Tesco with various shops and cinema right across the road from hotel.

I suppose Fota Island Resort would maybe be a little more restrictive if you have no car as it's not near a town really so maybe Midleton would be better if you want to have the option to walk about.

Remember to check train times as you need to switch lines at Glounthaune and there is approx 15 wait in between the services. Maybe get a Leap card for all the family as it saves rummaging around looking for change for the train (works on buses in the city too)

Spike also I recommend pre booking as the boat can be full by the time you get to the ticket office in Cobh. Bring the kids on the Cobh Road Train (Thomas lookalike) nice trip and brings you all around the town with some history and stories thrown in. Also maybe plan to be in Cobh on the day a cruise ship is in the town as there is great buzz around these ships. http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/cruiseschedule2010

Bring a buggy to Spike as there is a bit if walking involved.

Your best option would be Fota Island Resort. It's an amazing hotel and maybe if you can stretch the budget it would be an option. They have really nice facilities like pools and lovely grounds too.
    They will drop you to the train station to get the trains to either Cork city or go the other direction to Cobh to get the ferry to Spike Island.
    Also the wildlife park is right there on your doorstep too. You could stroll to the park but again they will chauffeur you there if you want.
    Also you have Fota House Arboretum and Gardens which is great for a stroll especially with the kids

However if you are restricted by funds Midleton Park is nice.
    The hotel is located about 12-15 walk from the train station. You get the train to Cork (takes 25 mins) or go 2 stops to Glounthaune and switch line to the Cobh service and you get to Fota train station (entrance to Wildlife Park is right there at the station) or carry on to Cobh to get to Spike Island.
    The hotel is about 10 mins walk to town centre and there is a Tesco with various shops and cinema right across the road from hotel.

I suppose Fota Island Resort would maybe be a little more restrictive if you have no car as it's not near a town really so maybe Midleton would be better if you want to have the option to walk about.

Remember to check train times as you need to switch lines at Glounthaune and there is approx 15 wait in between the services. Maybe get a Leap card for all the family as it saves rummaging around looking for change for the train (works on buses in the city too)

Spike also I recommend pre booking as the boat can be full by the time you get to the ticket office in Cobh. Bring the kids on the Cobh Road Train (Thomas lookalike) nice trip and brings you all around the town with some history and stories thrown in. Also maybe plan to be in Cobh on the day a cruise ship is in the town as there is great buzz around these ships. http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/cruiseschedule2010

Bring a buggy to Spike as there is a bit if walking involved.

BionicRasher, wow!!

That really is a lot of advice, we are settled on midleton, the extra train won't be too bad in and it to cobh and fota and having a wee walk at nights our even a trip to the cinema to end the day will be well appreciated so I think it's right up our street.

I never would have thought of prebooking the ferry to spike island and I doesn't even know there was a "Thomas" train in cobh that be lovely, thanks for all the help it really has made our decision so much easier :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

Any reason to leaving the car at home? The cost of the train tickets for getting to/from Midleton/Cork/Cobh will add up to a fair sum after a few trips. Plus you won't have to be lugging baggage to/from the train stations either. The ease of using the train for the initial long journey might be offset by the easier way of getting around the cork area. There's free parking in Cobh when you go to Spike and parking in the city can be cheap to if you use the Black Ash Park and Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

MackMack wrote: »
    There's free parking in Cobh when you go to Spike

Remember free parking in Cobh is only out at the 5 foot way car park (out past Heritage Center) and this is 5-7 mins walk to the boat to Spike.
    All other areas in the town centre are free for 1 hour only and you need to purchase a parking ticket after that which has a max stay of 3 hours. Spike tour takes 3 hours not including the boat trip which can be 30 mins each way depending on the tide.

Advertisement