Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Geography and English Teacher

• 27-05-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ Shannon211

Hello I am interested in doing arts at UCD for geography and English, and then doing the hdip to do secondary teaching. I was wondering if English and geography is a realistic combination for a secondary teacher, I suppose it's a bit of an odd combination so I'm concerned it could ruin job prospects? If this is the case I could always do geography with history since I also love history (although I wasn't able to do it for the leaving cert due to timetabling so I have concerns about doing it). Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors

.. we've 2 teachers in our school with the same combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭ joebloggs32

Shannon211 wrote: »
    Hello I am interested in doing arts at UCD for geography and English, and then doing the hdip to do secondary teaching. I was wondering if English and geography is a realistic combination for a secondary teacher, I suppose it's a bit of an odd combination so I'm concerned it could ruin job prospects? If this is the case I could always do geography with history since I also love history (although I wasn't able to do it for the leaving cert due to timetabling so I have concerns about doing it). Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

English probably stronger than history as it is a core subject. We have one with that combo in our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭ maynooth_rules

For the love of god avoid History and Geography. I teach both and they are so over subscribed.
    If at all possible do Irish and you will walk into the job of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ Shannon211

Thanks for the replies!! It's nice to know there are teachers with that combo in schools, since I don't know any in mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ Shannon211

For the love of god avoid History and Geography. I teach both and they are so over subscribed.
    If at all possible do Irish and you will walk into the job of your choice.
    Thank you for the caution! I think I'll go for English and geography, I unfortunately don't do Irish since I'm exempt from it, and I don't like any of my other subjects enough to spend my life teaching them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious

PLEASE have a realistic idea of the jobs situation before you commit a number of years and lots of money to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭ solerina

We actually have 3 teachers here with that combo of subjects...and I am not in a big school !! I would say its a decent enough combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ emily_123

In my school there were also 3 teachers with this combination although I must say that there is A LOT of teachers doing geography so that one is a bit oversubscribed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver

Its a good combo as its a major subject and minor one. Good people will always get recognised and land jobs and converse is also true.

Advertisement