Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Soarer

Jays us, there'll never be a good time to bite the bullet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see this market, ripening quickly, with new models and greater range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hopefully a full size suv will follow very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

Now this looks like the business;
    http://pushevs.com/2017/05/26/details-hyundai-kona-electric/

Time to get saving

Exactly what I want to replace the Captur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Soarer wrote: »
    Jays us, there'll never be a good time to bite the bullet!

Better not show her this until i have the Ioniq bought!

• Advertisement

Exactly what I'm looking for just hope it has the power to move it and not something silly like 100-150 HP. That would rapidly remove my interest.

It looks a decent size too.

My lease is up in January and I doubt I'll keep the Leaf so looks like Leaf II for me, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,700 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Exactly what I'm looking for just hope it has the power to move it and not something silly like 100-150 HP. That would rapidly remove my interest.

LOL, Mad_Lad gone speed obsessed? Even with 125BHP it will be significantly quicker than your Leaf. If you want faster again and still EV, there's only one option: i3. Or wait longer for the Model 3.

How's 15 HP going to make it significantly faster than the Leaf ? in a larger heavier car ? you're some man, I know you love your Ioniq and all but seriously man.........

Even Cros debunked your unbelievable statement that the Ioniq is significantly faster than the Leaf, you would hardly feel it, then again I came from an EV.

I'm not speed obsessed but I want more power for faster acceleration and more top end shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Get a rpom
    How's 15 HP going to make it significantly faster than the Leaf ? in a larger heavier car ? you're some man, I know you love your Ioniq and all but seriously man.........

Even Cros debunked your unbelievable statement that the Ioniq is significantly faster than the Leaf, you would hardly feel it, then again I came from an EV.

I'm not speed obsessed but I want more power for faster acceleration and more top end shove.

Get a room you two 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

It looks a decent size too.

My lease is up in January and I doubt I'll keep the Leaf so looks like Leaf II for me, maybe.
    Haha

Your risk the wrath of boat here madlad ðŸ˜

Torque man, torque is all you need, think of the torque, it will go like a scalded cat with its torque and 120bhp ☺

Bhp don't matter like, efficiency of the drive train and torque lol

On a serious note if it's over 1600kg it really needs about 200bhp drive train to move along nicely

I see the model 3 has been timed at 0-60 in 5.6secs and just under 300bhp

That's a machine

What I love about this news and no offence to Hyundai and Kia group but if they can make a class car like the Ioniq and this nee Kona here

Imagine what the heavyweights like VW group, BMW, Mercedes, Jap giants will do when they are forced to compete

Driving will become interesting again

They have to look at speed limits for sure as electric is going to be biblically quick when they all start competiting against each other

Thank **** Tesla make quick cars and didnt go the Nissan route of boring us to death

• Advertisement

Torque is fine but more torque means more HP or lets forget about HP and say Kw.

Now for the same Kw you can trade some low end torque and spread it out more at the mid and top. Or a 2 speed Gearbox would suit lower powered electrics well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This looks like a really great car and would be perfect for my needs, but pity about the name, the missus will never allow me to buy it with a name like that :eek:

She would never leave me live it down driving around in a car that is basically called the Hyundai Pussy (not the cat type!) in Portuguese!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hyundai/Kia have some lame names for their vehicles especially Kia, I mean the Rio, the Niro..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

i had a look at the Tesla 3 , 400,000 pre-orders and no cars built yet. €1000 deposit and could be waiting till 2020 before I receive it by the time they iron out all the bugs and God knows what price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

i like the kia niro name :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

patmac wrote: »
    i had a look at the Tesla 3 , 400,000 pre-orders and no cars built yet. €1000 deposit and could be waiting till 2020 before I receive it by the time they iron out all the bugs and God knows what price.

They will be gobbled up by the autogiants in time or bought out imo

I am not a rich man and if I had 40k to spend I would be giving it to a company like Hyundai/Audi etc who I know are proven and will be around for a long time

If Tesla has any problems at all with Model 3 supply, reliability and build quality early on and rivals like Audi etc bring out something decent they are screwed, those 400k buyers wont be long backing out and shareholders too

They can be the next giant or go bust who knows

They do make fast cars, I like them for that

That's all they have over Hyundai etc at the minute imo and brand of course

I just don't understand why Audi won't bring out a 45k Audi A5 with 400km range, 300bhp and crush them while they can

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thierry14 wrote: »
    They will be gobbled up by the autogiants in time or bought out imo

Well they simply couldn't at the moment, Telsas market cap now makes them the most valuable car company in the US. More then Ford or GM!

Of course if they don't deliver on the Model 3, then that will quickly drop. But you have to remember Tesla are far more then just another car company. They are more a battery/energy company, also making battery storage devices and solar panels.

Overall I suspect they will end up growing way beyond any of the traditional car companies in the broader sense.

thierry14 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why Audi won't bring out a 45k Audi A5 with 400km range, 300bhp and crush them while they can

Batteries, batteries, batteries.

This is the point everyone seems to be missing. To make mass market EV cars, you need an insane amount of batteries. Tesla knows this, which is why it went into partnership with Panasonic years ago and built the Gigafactory.

To put the scale required into perspective for you, the Gigafactory is the second biggest building in the world. Only Boeings airplane factory is bigger!

Outside of Tesla/Panasonic, the traditional car companies and third party battery companies simply have nowhere near the capacity to build and sell lots of mass market EV's. They are scrambling to build such factories now, but it will take them years to catch up on Teslas head start.

It is easy for any company to make a 400km, 300bhp prototype or even a low rate production demonstrator. It is a different manner completely to build 500,000 of them a year and still make a profit!

In the mean time, that gives Tesla lots of space to grow it's market share and brand. Of course at least some of the traditional car companies will survive and produce great EV's too. But by the time they do, I suspect Tesla will have carved out a massive market share for itself and won't be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Confirmed for 2018 PushEVs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes but the lack of a dedicated battery plant will kill them if they don't sort supply

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

In relation to Audi etc

While the battery supply chain is an issue , you have many others , you have price point issues , standardisation issues etc and most importantly of all , market size issues and hence profitability

The CFO of BMW recently stated he believed that there was 10 years of losses ahead with electric cars and BMW would have to grin and bear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Well , that does Cork -Dublin with 60km left.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Water John wrote: »
    Well , that does Cork -Dublin with 60km left.

And it's a compact SUV, that's the school run crowd hogging fast chargers forevermore.

liamog wrote: »
    And it's a compact SUV, that's the school run crowd hogging fast chargers forevermore.

With that range you don't really need fast charging. Just charge at home.

And certainly better to have EV's outside schools rather dirty Diesels spewing Nox in our kids faces. Whatever it takes to get the general public to buy EV's

I have to say I'm really digging the idea of this vehicle. Range enough for my needs and if it comes with AWD, perfect for going hiking, etc.

They can plug in, at home. Tell them, they can have the car heated and warm to sit into if they do. Once they find that, they won't change back, hearts and minds, won.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

bk wrote: »

Most of those hogging chargers now don't need them either and could charge at home.

I think it will be a mighty seller, could see delays filling orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »

Nice car, why the camouflage though?

Their own website shows a video of the New Kona in their sales material unless the EV version is different (which I doubt).
    http://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/kona

And loads of pics if you google it.

Should sell well if priced in the low 30s, which you have said it will be...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057772658

and I believe everything I read! ;)

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Most of those hogging chargers now don't need them either and could charge at home.

That issue will go away once price charging is introduced for fast charging as I'm sure it will. Their is an incentive for these people to use fast chargers now. Once fast charging costs the same or more then at home charging, these people will clearly go away.

Aside from those who live in apartments etc. and have no other choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

bk wrote: »

With that range you don't need to charge at home, you could just charge at public chargers once a week (it works both ways)

Advertisement