Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home alarm system

Options
  • 24-05-2017 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. I have a phonewatch alarm system in my house with a GE panel. Is there anybody that can change this panel to call my phone instead of phonewatch ??? I can no longer afford to keep paying to be monitored. Thanks in advance for any help. I live in Dublin 5 area

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could shop around for installers to take it over & you will probably get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 silvercrest

Hi Koolkid. Thanks for reply. Am not looking to change over to another monitoring company. Am looking for a way to get the alarm system (panel) to either text my phone or call me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You would need to get the Engineer code from PW first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi. I have a phonewatch alarm system in my house with a GE panel. Is there anybody that can change this panel to call my phone instead of phonewatch ??? I can no longer afford to keep paying to be monitored. Thanks in advance for any help. I live in Dublin 5 area

Can be done with most of the systems they have used in the past.
    Do you know which one you have installed?

Hi Altor. Thanks for quick reply. The following is what is wrote on panel.

GE. Simon XT Model: 60-916-CP-03-IE

• Advertisement

Hi Altor. Thanks for quick reply. The following is what is wrote on panel.

GE. Simon XT Model: 60-916-CP-03-IE

You need to go into communication/protocol and change it to voice for each number you plan to use.
    Then change the numbers the system dials out on.

Thanks altor. Excuse my ignorance. I am a complete eejit when it comes to this stuff. I know this has a sim card in it. I guess I need to buy my own one. How do I get into communication / protocol

Thanks altor. Excuse my ignorance. I am a complete eejit when it comes to this stuff. I know this has a sim card in it. I guess I need to buy my own one. How do I get into communication / protocol

If there is an old sim they would turn this off so you would need a new one.
    Make sure you turn off the security lock before putting it into the panel.
    Also make sure you down power the system, mains and battery before doing same.
    In engineer mode you need to scroll to communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IrishMeadow

Dear Sir,

Desperate need help to reset the alarm system. Landlord is not paying to get a call out to reset the alarm as they forgotten the pin. Basically, they don't want to have anything to do it. Alarm is at AWAY status when we plug in the fuse. How can we reset the alarm and connect to our mobile? We cannot afford monitoring either. One sensor in the house, how to install a second sensor?

Many thanks!

Dear Sir,

Desperate need help to reset the alarm system. Landlord is not paying to get a call out to reset the alarm as they forgotten the pin. Basically, they don't want to have anything to do it. Alarm is at AWAY status when we plug in the fuse. How can we reset the alarm and connect to our mobile? We cannot afford monitoring either. One sensor in the house, how to install a second sensor?

Many thanks!

We are not allowed help re codes on boards.ie
    Your system is locked unless you have the user code, your only option would be to contact an installer and have him default and set the system back up for you.

• Advertisement

Dear Sir,

Many thanks!

If you contact PW they will send you the engineer code once you sign a disclaimer.

If the user code is not known the engineer code is of no use once set to away.
    Default of the concord or code read to get the codes are the only options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IrishMeadow

Hi everyone, thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

is it the alarm system itself or the installer carries the EN50131-1:2006? (home insurance requirement)
    We've bought a new build thats pre wired for alarm so shouldn't be too much of a problem to install a self monitoring alarm..

but my concern is that, similar to electrical, you have to be certified/able to issue a certificate of installation.

thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The equipment and the installer both have to comply with EN50131.
    As in the equipment has to be to that standard and the way the system is fitted and programmed also has to be.

The equipment must conform to EN50131-1 and the installation company must be licenced by the PSA & Certified by one of the certification bodies, NSAI,EQA,SSAIB, Steller etc.

Thanks for the info lads, ye allowed to give installer recommendations in Swords area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Have a look at the PSA.gov.ie site for contractors, get at least 3 written quotations.

Will do, cheers

There are some installers from here listed in the sticky here.
    There is also a link for the PSA register of licenced installers.

• Advertisement

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    is it the alarm system itself or the installer carries the EN50131-1:2006? (home insurance requirement)
    We've bought a new build thats pre wired for alarm so shouldn't be too much of a problem to install a self monitoring alarm..

but my concern is that, similar to electrical, you have to be certified/able to issue a certificate of installation.

thanks for any info

The alarm components must comply with EN50131, installers must also comply and install the system to these standards to issue a cert for your insurance company.
    This cert lasts one year from issue and in order to maintain this standard the system needs to be tested by a certified installer every year.

altor wrote: »
    The alarm components must comply with EN50131, installers must also comply and install the system to these standards to issue a cert for your insurance company.
    This cert lasts one year from issue and in order to maintain this standard the system needs to be tested by a certified installer every year.

Cheers.

Advertisement