Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'll console myself with the fact Fallout 4 and Bioshock Infinite both got similar hot receptions which masked their actual averageness :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Eurogamer knocking points off because he doesn't like the politics in game

What a silly reason to knock points off :confused:. The map looks massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think its fair to critique the story - the initial trailer for this was a much more somber affair, leading us to believe that this was going to be a dark tale, forcing us to face some of the more uncomfortable aspects of racism etc in modern society. Ubisoft were applauded for this, and then started squirming and shuffling the feet, before the next round of trailers went more in the 'yee haw! lets blow sh!t up' style of things.

My biggest worry with the game was that I'd be doing the very same stuff I was doing in Far Cry 3 & 4, and that worry appears to be confirmed. 3 was a stellar title because the story (to a point - once vaas was gone, hoyt didnt muster the same disdain) was as good as the gameplay. FC4 lost a lot of the engament of 3, as you were very much out there on your own, taking down outposts, just like before, climbing towers, just like before, etc etc.

I'll probably pick it up when it inevitably drops in price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

4 just seemed to go on forever. The arcade mode looks interesting in this one too. Hopefully there's a solid multiplayer suite to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I loved 4. Platinumed it and all, although the last couple of co-op trophies were painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got my text to pick up the game. Shop closed at 6. Bastard Smyths. At least it's there first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm forgot to NOT use Parcel Motel for this with Amazon, so I'm sure I'll get it by tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

downloaded the digital delux version, seemed a no brainer as it was only €3 more in the ps store

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Got my text to pick up the game. Shop closed at 6. Bastard Smyths. At least it's there first thing in the morning.

No text here anyway, picking up from Kinsale Road Smyths in Cork.

Will have to wait for lunch time tomorrow.

Just got the text too, fecking closed since 6.

• Advertisement

Shnakes making sure we couldn't get it today. Understandable anyway, Smyths are doing good with their prices and discounts on new games lately, nice change from the likes of Gamestop.

Ya, at €65 quid for a physical gold edition on release day, I wont complain......much. :o

Skillup gave it a very positive review but was fairly negative about the microtransaction piece. Completed game and only unlocked a shotgun, sniper, some attachments and a couple of helicopters. If he'd tripled his in game currency he still wouldn't have unlocked everything.

Not that you should ever listen to Plygon but they have given it 6.5 saying "A very enjoyable game with an immense number of things to do, a beautifully recreated portion of the United States, and a collection of missions with wildly varying tones and structure. "

Oh the story didn't agree with their personal feelings so that's why the score is bad.

As for the microtransactions, polygon wrote a separate piece on them and called them microtransactions done right, never needed them, unlocked a ton of weapons and vehicles, easy ways to make money if needed, basically opposite of what the above said.

Also read reviews that praised the story so mixed opinions all around. I'd take user reviews (particularly on boards) over journalists or 'contributors' anyday.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As for the microtransactions, polygon wrote a separate piece on them and called them microtransactions done right, never needed them, unlocked a ton of weapons and vehicles, easy ways to make money if needed, basically opposite of what the above said.

Also read reviews that praised the story so mixed opinions all around. I'd take user reviews (particularly on boards) over journalists or 'contributors' anyday.

Ya, I'll give it a few days play before throwing down a solid opinion on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Oh the story didn't agree with their personal feelings so that's why the score is bad.

Everything is political nowadays ffs

Looking forward to putting a few hours into this over the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everything is political nowadays ffs

You mean... like Far Cry 5? The game that features overt symbols of American nationalism, evangelism and gun culture in its cover art?

gallery-1495704101-far-cry-5.jpg

Nearly every single FPS does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Move over a bit there folks i need to jump on the bandwagon :)

Christ im brutal, no self restraint at all.
    Oh well at least i should get a decent trade in against God of War next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

maybe if I look sad and stand beside it someone will take pity on me. #brokeasf**k

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

and it's playable now on uplay :D GO GO GO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Playing it since about 3 today, beautiful game.

Few times I just wandered off just doing stuff, havent tried Coop yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Different time zone or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Donne wrote: »
    Different time zone or something else?

Used an Aussie VPN and it unlocked at 12 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Cool. Must try that myself in future.

ps. Which VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Daz24

Is smyths the best price at €69.99 for the gold edition on PS4. No preference for physical or digital copy.

Daz24 wrote: »
    Is smyths the best price at €69.99 for the gold edition on PS4. No preference for physical or digital copy.

You can get it for 65 if you order it online for collection at your nearest store but it seems to be out of stock in most places.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-games/far-cry-5-gold-edition-ps4/p/165255#

Check Argos online first thing in the morning for their price. Their UK store is selling it for 60 pounds so it might be 68 to 70 over here.

• Advertisement

Coming into work this morning was one of the more difficult recent decisions I've had to make. Working from home Thursday will be a serious test of resolve.

Advertisement