Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orville

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ill give it to its mid season break but not sure ill stick around much longer if quality doesnt improve

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sky88 wrote: »
    ill give it to its mid season break but not sure ill stick around much longer if quality doesnt improve

In what sense? I think the episodes thus far have been pretty decent and very reminiscent of "classic Trek" - they've even dialled down the humour and the effects budget is significantly improved.

Sure it's not Discovery levels of CGI, but I've long since passed being impressed by what some artist can knock up in CAD/Photoshop (or whatever they use) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't say episode 2 was dire, but it did feel like they were almost trying too hard to wrap two unrelated storylines together. One got too much screen time, one didn't get enough. It should have been reversed.

I wasn't sure what to make of the end of ep 3. Seemed a little bit overdramatic, I wonder whose idea it was. Although I love Patrick Warbuton's cameo. Wonderfully absurd.

I enjoyed ep 5 even though
    It seems like they've decided to swap out a young security chief for one who's the exact same but slightly older, probably so she can be a realistic love interest for the captain

Am I the only person who's capable of enjoying both this and discovery without picking apart every minute of them?

The Orville feels like a mashup of TNG and Stargate, and Richard Dean Anderson is playing five different crew members.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Isn't the rumour that Macfarlane and Sage were dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

seamus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say episode 2 was dire, but it did feel like they were almost trying too hard to wrap two unrelated storylines together. One got too much screen time, one didn't get enough. It should have been reversed.

I wasn't sure what to make of the end of ep 3. Seemed a little bit overdramatic, I wonder whose idea it was. Although I love Patrick Warbuton's cameo. Wonderfully absurd.

I enjoyed ep 5 even though
    It seems like they've decided to swap out a young security chief for one who's the exact same but slightly older, probably so she can be a realistic love interest for the captain

Am I the only person who's capable of enjoying both this and discovery without picking apart every minute of them?

The Orville feels like a mashup of TNG and Stargate, and Richard Dean Anderson is playing five different crew members.

I like both series too. However ep 2 was very bad. If bortus was to spontaneously combust I’d be happy enough. Except that’s probably some kind of Moclan mating ritual.

• Advertisement

I actually agree that losing Bortus or Isaac would be positive for the show - I think it has too many bridge-crew characters. I think I'd keep Bortus over Isaac to be honest though.

I think the Orville has potential to find its own niche and voice, but it's a bit all over the shop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I actually agree that losing Bortus or Isaac would be positive for the show - I think it has too many bridge-crew characters. I think I'd keep Bortus over Isaac to be honest though.

I think the Orville has potential to find its own niche and voice, but it's a bit all over the shop at the moment.

Really I like both put if I had to choose I would keep Isaac over Bortus. I think Isaac is like an early Data that's more immature but very smart and with a lot to learn about biological beings.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Episode 6 might be my favorite so far.

This was a nice story and executed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

AMKC wrote: »

Really I like both put if I had to choose I would keep Isaac over Bortus. I think Isaac is like an early Data that's more immature but very smart and with a lot to learn about biological beings.

You may enjoy episode 6 because Isaac is front and center in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Episode 6 might be my favorite so far.

This was a nice story and executed well.

Yep, just watched it earlier and thought it worked really well. Some funny bits without being over the top, but the main story was really well done.

The beauty passes of the ship were very TNG.

• Advertisement
    Ms

You may enjoy episode 6 because Isaac is front and center in that one.

Just watched it there now. It was a nice episode.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭pah

PMSL with Isaac in the vest looking for his dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Loving this season so far. Great show

Ms

So after a 2 week break there is a new episode of The Orville. Have not got to watch it all yet just the start of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Nice cameo from
    Bruce Willis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dante7 wrote: »
    Nice cameo from
    Bruce Willis

Haven't watched it yet but seriously? Thought he didn't get outta bed for less than 10 million

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

fritzelly wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet but seriously? Thought he didn't get outta bed for less than 10 million

10 dollars these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 filters

The Orville is the cure to STD.
    Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show than the big budgeted abomination that is STD.

Ms

Have to say that was a really good episode with a really good message too and a few clever twists as well. Be interesting to see if we see Locar again later on in the series.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Nice cameo from
    Bruce Willis

Didn't even realise, doesn't look or sound like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Liamalone wrote: »
    Didn't even realise, doesn't look or sound like him.

Doesn't look like him? What were you expecting? A geranium in a vest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Doesn't look like him? What were you expecting? A geranium in a vest?

A bit of stubble at least :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think i'm a week behind everyone else since i only watch it on catchup.
    just saw the isaac episode now. it was cool seeing isaac and the other lad without the makeup on. and the union orchestra was apparently the actual orchestra who does the orville ost
    rain on the bridge though... would it not fry the electronics :pac:

Ms

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think i'm a week behind everyone else since i only watch it on catchup.
    just saw the isaac episode now. it was cool seeing isaac and the other lad without the makeup on. and the union orchestra was apparently the actual orchestra who does the orville ost
    rain on the bridge though... would it not fry the electronics :pac:

it was cool seeing isaac and the other lad without the makeup on

It was a great way of showing us the actors behind the mask or the voice behind the jelly blob CGI. Yoshi or something like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I watched the horoscope planet last night and found it very enjoyable. It reminded me of the planet with death by social media in Season 1, in that it was a great idea, well told.

filters wrote: »
    The Orville is the cure to STD.
    Its the parody show of Star Trek that turned out to be a better Star Trek show than the big budgeted abomination that is STD.
    That didn't take long. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AMKC wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if we see Locar again later on in the series.
    I'm pretty sure we will.
    The judiciary will deem that he's too valuable as an engineer to put to death but will instead perform some invasive surgery or "conversion therapy" on him, and when he meets the Orville crew again they'll be horrified by the change.

MacFarlane is big on social issues - LGBTI & Religion especially - and he seems to have crafted (perhaps intentionally) a society in the Moclans which are exactly a "what if things were the opposite" scenario - everyone is "gay" and heterosexuality is illegal. Everyone is a biological or trans man, nobody gets to choose.

The message I feel is not even slightly subtle, but nevertheless I enjoy seeing it laid out so obviously, as so many would like to claim these are "complicated" issues. When they're not.

So I have no doubt he will continue to shake the Moclan society for all they're worth.

On his Twitter feed, MacFarlane has said something "big" is coming this week, and IMDB lists it as the beginning of a two-parter.
    So I wonder will it be this split between Moclan and the Union that they hinted at? Maybe Bortus will stay while Klyden and Topa leave for Moclan.

Ms

Yep there is a two parter coming up and its The Orville's first two part story. Think I might wait till both parts of it are out to watch it together.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭pah

That was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That really was a good episode looking forward to part 2.

Advertisement