Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The embedded social commentary (it can't be a female reaction of Lt. Cmdr. Bortus or the comments of the calvions about reality TV) is typical of Seth.

Overall Episode 2 served very much as helping us to further understand the dynamics and characters of the senior officers of the ship.

I'm going to watch Episode 3 and than make my final determination, so far, it's too unclear what this is.

Yes, it could be a great homage to Star Trek (including loads of small references to TOS) but with "real" Star Trek coming (even it's streaming only) is there really a need to watch this rather than the "real".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The embedded social commentary (it can't be a female reaction of Lt. Cmdr. Bortus or the comments of the calvions about reality TV) is typical of Seth.[...]

Given we're talking about an unabashed homage to Star Trek here, I don't think it'd be Trek either without embedded social commentary ;)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given we're talking about an unabashed homage to Star Trek here, I don't think it'd be Trek either without embedded social commentary ;)

Well there is the way TOS did it and there is the way Seth does it, so I'm giving it another episode.

So far this together with "Wisdom of the Crowd" is on my "pulled from schedule" list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well there is the way TOS did it and there is the way Seth does it, so I'm giving it another episode.

So far this together with "Wisdom of the Crowd" is on my "pulled from schedule" list.

While Star Trek had noble intentions with its social conscience, its execution frequently let itself down - not least TOS, with instances like these guys about as subtle as a brick to the face:

latest?cb=20081215234656&path-prefix=en

The Orville, for all its faults, has yet to hit those kind of 'heights'. I thought the sting at the end was more a standard cliffhanger of the norm upended than any kind of commentary. If anything, the fault was probably in tipping this status quo so soon after only meeting the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new season of Black Mirror has a Star Trek inspired episode I'll be looking forward to see Charlie Brooker's spin on it compared to MacFarlane's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That episode was more trekkie feeling than the first I thought

OK, now it's starting to bed down a bit.

The story
    felt like it was going the other direction and did bring out the real awkward feels inside
    . Has the feel of a plot arc being developed.

The cast felt mixed in their performances. It's new though and it looks like they are putting the effort in to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

I keep looking at the ship thinking, "it's seth, this is supposed to look like something", but i cant see it.

Its ok. I'll probably watch it but won't be waiting for it to come out each week. More a case of o a new episode, pass an hour or so.

Last nights episode was a roller coaster in both story line and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Scott Grimes was on the p1ss in Dublin last night with Russell Crowe

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/910935468329418753

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Christ ep 3 was preachy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Watched the first 3 eps last night after coming across a scathing review of the third one.
    Think I was expecting live-action Family Guy in space, wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but it's really growing on me.
    It's not really a comedy, more a standard Trek-like series with some jokes thrown in.

Not really getting the complaints about the visuals, in the the first five minutes I was surprised at how expensive it looked compared to what I was expecting.

I think it's suffering a lot of criticism for a few reasons:
    - people who don't like Seth McFarlane. I'm probably one of them, and the show would probably be better if he wasn't in the main role, but a lot of people had it written off before it aired because of him
    - ironically, people who do like Seth McFarlane, or at least his comedy. I'm one of those too. A lot of people were expecting all-out comedy, initially surprised it was classed as drama, and now slamming it for not being funny enough. In fairness, that's possibly down to bad marketing and expectation management
    - there were quite a few negative reviews of the third episode, including at least a couple I read that criticised it based on the same misunderstanding of something clearly explained in the episode. So either none of those reviewers actually watched it, some just based the reviews off other reviews, or they went in with a predetermined view of the episode and weren't going to allow the actual content get in the way (in fairness, competent reviewers are hard to find these days).

Overall it's interesting, though I don't know if it's going to work long term. A stronger lead actor would have helped, and it needs to decide soon if it's a comedy or a drama. Still think it's worth sticking with for the moment though.

Guffy wrote: »
    Christ ep 3 was preachy

No more so than The Outcast fro TNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Though Ep3 was another good one. It's getting more trek like with each passing episode.

The cameos in episode 4!

Slydice wrote: »
    The cameos in episode 4!

I got to the last one and kept thinking "nah, that can't be him ... can it?"
    Bah, just googled it and got a spoiler for next week's cameo - so don't do that.

Solid enough episode, despite a weird continuity error early on: "Isaac, go back to the shuttle and contact the ship". Next scene Isaac's still trudging along beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Slydice wrote:
    The cast felt mixed in their performances. It's new though and it looks like they are putting the effort in to develop.

I was caught out by episode two. Want electing the typical politically correct TV show lesson.

I'm getting very impressed with this series. Early days but I think already it will stand out. Kudos for first class visuals.

It is definitely better, but I seem to be the only one who thinks the mentioning of the marriage/divorce is just getting a bit annoying. It's classic MacFarlane shtick; take a joke that wasn't massively funny to begin with and keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭pah

It is definitely better, but I seem to be the only one who thinks the mentioning of the marriage/divorce is just getting a bit annoying. It's classic MacFarlane shtick; take a joke that wasn't massively funny to begin with and keep doing it.

Well you seem to be the only one mentioning it (across multiple threads)

How could it not be regularly mentioned? It's an integral part of the show & the characters development

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Really confusing show
    They are clearly playing for laughs when you see the like of Black pilot reaction to getting the kill shot or chats between the two pilots
    But then you go large parts of the show with nothing even vaguely amusing happening.
    FG works because while lots of jokes miss the mark they come every couple of seconds and enough land .
    This tries so much fewer and most are terrible and miss

• Advertisement

I can see them staying light hearted but dropping the overt comedy

Really confusing show
    They are clearly playing for laughs when you see the like of Black pilot reaction to getting the kill shot or chats between the two pilots
    But then you go large parts of the show with nothing even vaguely amusing happening.
    FG works because while lots of jokes miss the mark they come every couple of seconds and enough land .
    This tries so much fewer and most are terrible and miss

It's not trying to be Family Guy in space though. It's weird, but it's as if Seth McFarlane wanted to make a Trek show, knew he'd never be allowed to, so had to sell it as a comedy. It seems to has come out as some weird hybrid where it needs to lean on the jokes a bit too much but there's actually a surprisingly good show underneath.

So I'm sticking with it.

While it's some sort of mix of genres for me it's the best Star Trek that there is right now on the box.

I hear you say "Discovery" but the way "Discovery" feels right now is not really Star Trek.

Yes, I know Star Trek is about embracing change and differences and if I can't apply that to the TV shows as well as people, than am I really a Trekkie?

But in this case, I prefer Seth McFarlane's fan project over the official version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

midnight's edge: spin through to 28:44 nice discussion of the orville with some contrast to discovery

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So last nights episode made it clear to me, The Orville is a very good version of Star Trek. I'm going to continue to have this on my DVR.

I don't know. It feels like it doesn't know exactly what it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's a space dramady I like it and look forward to seeing it every week

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Probably second best new cable show this year for me anyways.. behind The Good Doctor.

Is The Good Doctor worth it? I just watched the Pilot and could not get behind it totally.

I re-watched STD to see if I'm missing something, but nope, can't get behind this totally, for me The Orville is the better version of Star Trek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is The Good Doctor worth it? I just watched the Pilot and could not get behind it totally.
    It's decent albeit essentially House without Hugh Laurie. It's solid enough week after week mainly thanks to Highmore's performance.

Advertisement